Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane's Recent Jump in Rankings  (Read 1958 times)

SleepyGuyYawn

Re: Tulane's Recent Jump in Rankings
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 12:00:25 AM »
I certainly agree that Tulane is better than its ranking at 56.  But I think the ranking at 41 is a correction, not a trend.  I expect it will settle in the mid to low forties in the next few years.  Why?  Because Tulane hasn't done anything to dramatically improve its ranking.  Its admissions criteria is fairly difficult, but that's nothing new.  Its faculty is good, but not amazing -- nothing's changed there.  And I've heard nothing about dramatic differences in the teaching or student experience at Tulane in the last five or six years. 

I just don't see any reason for Tulane to make the big rise that you're asserting.  Rather, I see Tulane maintaining its place in the low to mid forties, where it's been for some time.

Aaron37

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 12:02:22 AM »
Supposedly a lot of money is being pumped in by alumni.  30 may be too far of a reach, but I think the mid-30's is definitely attainable.
Attending: Tulane

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 01:08:41 AM »
Well, I suppose anything's possible.  But it can take many years for a capital campaign to have effects on a school's reputation.  And remember, Tulane might be raising money, but so are other schools -- especially top tier schools. 

Like I said, it's possible.  But I'll believe it when I see it.

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 05:59:59 AM »
Here is some relevant info from a Tulane faculty member responding to a few of my questions:

The jump back up to our normal position (late 30s, early 40s -- the prior year was an aberration for us) is due almost entirely to reducing our class size and obtaining a class with a slightly higher GPA.  So, consider yourself part of the chosen!  The curve is a "B" (3.0) curve, in exact terms, in any class with 21 or more J.D. students, the professor shall award no less than 60% and no more than 65% grades of B and above, and no more than 75% grades of B- and above.  This means essentially you must be in the top 60-65% of the class.   

As far as why Tulane "places better" in the East than the West (precisely 28% NE, 5% Midwest, 30% La., 1% international; 12% West; 24% other SE), from my own personal experience counseling students, it is a matter of choice.  Many more students want to stay here or go to NY or DC than go to California.  Those students who I have known who wanted to get back to California did.  Actually, I think 12% out West is a fairly high number.  One issue with California is that most places in California do not give job offers without bar passage and so that deters students who want more security.  I can say with a fair degree of certainty that if you maintain a 3.0 or higher, you will be able to get back to California -- it is true that it may take a bit more work on your part than students who stay in Louisiana -- you may have to reach out a bit more, but the Career Office and professors here will support you in that effort.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 08:25:17 AM »
Tulane is SWeet.

That is all.

Mr Belding

• What a tool
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 09:08:44 AM »
Tulane is SWeet.

That is all.

I have a 3.65 and a 164 and got 15K. I wrote them referenced a couple acquintences and a couple lsn people who have gotton 20K with lesser numbers. They better come through! (I hope) =]
164 / 3.65

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 09:19:41 AM »
Tulane is SWeet.

That is all.

I have a 3.65 and a 164 and got 15K. I wrote them referenced a couple acquintences and a couple lsn people who have gotton 20K with lesser numbers. They better come through! (I hope) =]

Their scholarship policy is kinda random.  I got 20k/yr with my numbers.

Mr Belding

• What a tool
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 09:41:49 AM »
Yeah I told them flat out that if I got 20K a year, I would enroll. If not, I have to consider cheaper options.
164 / 3.65

Aaron12900

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 10:34:14 AM »
Hey does anyone know if negotiations with Tulane have actually worked for increasing their scholarship?
159/168
accepted:Tulane$$(top choice), Emory,syracuse$$, BU
Rejected: UVA, Cornell, BC
Waitlisted:W&M, UF (WTF!!)
Pending: a whole bunch of slow-ass schools!

Mr Belding

• What a tool
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 10:35:45 AM »
I'm i nthe middle of negotiations right now--I'll let ou know how it goes!
164 / 3.65