Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any more Loyola LA $?  (Read 1508 times)

TBoneUCLA

Re: Any more Loyola LA $?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 08:52:35 PM »
3.5 and 162, someone with an ever so slight higher index (talking .1 differnce) got a full ride I am not happy

i got a letter from them saying they wanted a reply from people they gave awards to ASAP, because they would redistribute the money offers that were not accepted.

i doubt all the money they offer people is taken. so they must be anticipating doing alot of redistributing of $$$ over the summer (but they better do it soon if they wanna land people)

ps- the admissions office SUCKS! i cant get ahold of ANYONE there! the dean of admissions is actually out of the office till april 11th. i just wish i could speak with someone there about all this stuff. i actually wrote a professor today and he emailed back asking me if i would like to talk on the phone tomorrow, so not everyone at loyola is as difficult to contact as admissions.

i wrote a quick little email to admissions asking for money a week bfore they distributed, and i dont know if that made a difference, but i would assume they dont make $ decisions based soley on indexes....that is hard enough to do to admit a huge class, but would get even trickier to identify scholars.

write the office and tell them you would go if you got cash! be bold about it! good luck

What do you think I should say, I've been offered a significant amount of money from other school and like list the offers?  And ask them to match or something?

I'm sure it's not done entirely by indexes too, but I'm guessing I would have at least been in the running for something.

i guess i would write them and say that you love loyola  :-* and tell them what it is abou thte school that appeals to you (be it a particular program/reputation, something that FITS) and tell them that you would love to attend, but X school's generous offer of X amount of cash would make it difficult to choose loyola based strictly on fincancial burden. and then go on to say that if they could consider you for a scholarship it would make your ability to choose loyola much easier

mememe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 09:37:01 AM »
Tbone - If you do talk with the Loyola professor today, will you post any interesting words of wisdom?  Or at the very least, why he thinks his school is so great?
thanks!
USF 2005

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 01:27:47 PM »
I called LLS admin office yesterday to ask about any scholarships/finaid offers.  I left a message with "the only admissions counselor in for today" around 4:30 p.m.  She called me back by 5:15 p.m. and couldn't tell me anything but transferred me to finaid, which told me they gave me all loans.  Sigh, off to USD I go!

They did also say they packaged many fin aid awards this week and they should go out at the end of the week.
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly."  -Langston Hughes

danno51

• MSN Messenger - dannyeverakes
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - daneverakes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 01:30:58 PM »
sunset,
So they will tell you over the phone if you received any scholarships or just all loans?  Im in the same baot as you, waiting on loyola's fin aid and prob going to USD if i get all loans
Heading to USD in August, Viva San Diego

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »
The finaid lady told me "You received X amount in this type of loan Y amount in this type of loan and the remainder in private loans."  I explained to them that I'm making a decision based on my offer from USD, whose due date is this Friday.  hth
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 01:34:56 PM »
Sunset and Danno, I am in the same boat as both of you. I am headed to USD if they don't give me anything more than loans.

nosohceht

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 01:41:10 PM »
This is a huge gamble, but what I would recommend for some of you people is to lay off until April 15th.  They have made all thier preliminary money offers, and should get some deposits in then and have a better idea how to allocate their fin aid money.

Might want to negotiate with them at that point.  don't give up.

danno51

• MSN Messenger - dannyeverakes
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - daneverakes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 01:46:42 PM »
Starresky, have u called them yet inquiring on when they are going to send out the fin aid paperwork?
Sunset- Thanks for the info.  So you get money from  USD too right?  I know you talked to someone at fin aid yesterday, but do u think u are going to try to write a letter to the fin aid director or admissions dean trying to get them to compete with USD or have u already done that or are u pretty much now for sure going to USD?
Heading to USD in August, Viva San Diego

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 01:48:43 PM »
nosohceht - I see what you are saying and I sent in deposits for both schools already so I bought myself some extra time to negotiate. I just meant if in the end they can't offer me more than loans, I will gladly go to San Diego for law school.

danno - I haven't called. I am not big on making calls to schools. I will be sending out a letter today pleading my case, but I am not going to be too pushy unless I have to.

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 01:51:45 PM »
I wrote an email...I'm also not a big phone person either.  I'll write one more letter and send it...I'm submitting my USD deposit this today. 
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,