Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 6 WLs at tier 1 schools ..christ...do you think one will eventually take me??  (Read 5438 times)

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
Here's a great formula for getting on a bunch of wait lists, boys and girls.  Have a miserable 157, 165 split in your LSATS, a 3.7,  and a suspicous-looking gap in your education.
   So far I've been WLed by: BC, Wash and Lee, Wiilliam and Mary, Emory, WUSTL, and Wake Forest.  Any of these save for Wake I'd happily go to.  Should I pursue all of these?  Which should I pursue the hardest?  God, and I've no doubt there are more to come...Stastically speaking, am I likely to get one of them???
3.66, 164, non-URM
IN @ Tulane, Vandy, Oregon
WL@ wash and lee, bill and meg,Emory, WUSTL, BC
Going to TULANE (90% sure)

wongsb

I would like to hear the advice too.  I'm waitlisted at 4 Tier 1 schools, W&L, W&M, Emory and Fordham with a 168 and a 3.05 that reflects a downward grade trend (GPA is below 3.0 my last two years and I ended my spring term senior year with a 1.0). 

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
Flower,
  My hope is that maybe these places are just waiting to see if apps like us don't bomb in senior yr?? Have you sent your senior fall grades yet (assuming you're still in school)?  Do you know how long LSAC will take to process new grades, or should one just send the grades directly to the school??

BTW- does anyone else have 6 or more T1 wait lists?  Or have I earned the dubious distinction of champion in this regard?  Please, tell me I'm not the BIGGEST WL moron out there, please...though I have the sneaking suspicion that I am (& its well-deserved  :'(  )..
3.66, 164, non-URM
IN @ Tulane, Vandy, Oregon
WL@ wash and lee, bill and meg,Emory, WUSTL, BC
Going to TULANE (90% sure)

wongsb

Flower,
  My hope is that maybe these places are just waiting to see if apps like us don't bomb in senior yr?? Have you sent your senior fall grades yet (assuming you're still in school)?  Do you know how long LSAC will take to process new grades, or should one just send the grades directly to the school??

Good thing my schools made their decisions based on my full transcript (LOL)!  I am Class of 2004, so all my grades were ready for review by the time I had my applications in.. and, yes, I did bomb my senior spring and I can't tell if my schools waitlisted me because of that, or in spite of it, or, or, OR.... GAAAAA!  One thing for sure is that my grades went downward from fall term freshman year onwards, plateauing in the 2.9-3.2 band for most of my junior and senior years, before my fabulous 1.0 in my last trimester. 

And there isn't anything I can do about it. 

As for you, you should call your schools directly to see what their preferences are in regards to your latest grades. 

wongsb

BTW- does anyone else have 6 or more T1 wait lists?  Or have I earned the dubious distinction of champion in this regard?  Please, tell me I'm not the BIGGEST WL moron out there, please...though I have the sneaking suspicion that I am (& its well-deserved  :'(  )..

I am still waiting on a few more schools.  I am hoping for another waitlist so I can hold a whole fistful  ;D.

wongsb

I got 4 WL's.

You aren't living and dying on your waitlists, though ;)!  And I am jealous of your schools, even the ones that are waitlists. 

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
I got 4 WL's.

You aren't living and dying on your waitlists, though ;)!  And I am jealous of your schools, even the ones that are waitlists. 

Point taken.  Cheer up though, I will be withdrawing my Emory app in the next week.  It could become your spot!

legallady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ah yes, the plight of the waitlisted is one I can certainly relate to :) I don't have as many as you guys, but if I had applied to more than 10 schools, I bet you anything I would be waitlisted at ALL of them. I guess that's what happens to all of us split candidates. I had outstanding grades (a 3.85 after my freshman year, close to a 4.0 in my major), and a lot of solid soft factor junk (although nothing out-of-this-world extraordinary). But, alas, my LSAT is not too hot. Perfect waitlist material. 

Since all I have are wait lists (barring a miracle at UPenn or UVA, and considering the very real possibility that American, my safety, will reject me), here's my strategy: I'm going to wait until I have all of my options on the table, then I'm going to decide which school I would absolutely go to if they let me in and then tell them as much. I get the impression from all of the wait list letters my friends have received that the words "I WILL attend your school if you accept me off the wait list" bear a lot of weight. I also think that some of the schools just want a little more lovin' in the form of letters, extra recs, etc. So I'm hoping that combination of factors aimed at one school will equal an eventual acceptance.

Am I delusional here? What do you guys think about that?
In: NOWHERE!
Waitlist: GW, Fordham, American
Out: Ha! Many... but let's focus on the semi-positive at this point, shall we?

lex19

W&L specifically said to let them know if you will definitly go there on their WL FAQ list, and i am....

what do you guys think about visiting schools when you've been WL there??