Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 6 WLs at tier 1 schools ..christ...do you think one will eventually take me??  (Read 5429 times)

legallady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Lex, I've been thinking about that, too. I think if a school (W&L in your case) is definitely your first choice, it can't hurt to go both so you can show them you're really interested in going and so you can see for yourself what the school is like. I've seen some other people on here post about meeting with someone in admissions while they're visiting, and I think that also sounds like a good idea if you can arrange it.
In: NOWHERE!
Waitlist: GW, Fordham, American
Out: Ha! Many... but let's focus on the semi-positive at this point, shall we?

Goldilocks

• View Profile
Heyitcouldbewo, you are not the biggest WL moron.  I have 8 Tier 1 WLs out of 12 total apps.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You're in at Vandy... HEY IT COULD BE WORSE!

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Statistically speaking, you are not likely to get into any of them. Assuming each decision is an independent event (which I think is a much better approximation for wait lists than for admissions) and that your odds of any one is a generous 5%, your chances of getting in to at least one is ~26%

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Statistically speaking, you are not likely to get into any of them. Assuming each decision is an independent event (which I think is a much better approximation for wait lists than for admissions) and that your odds of any one is a generous 5%, your chances of getting in to at least one is ~26%

i think you're underestimating how many are taken off of wait lists typically. Although i don't have any LSN data last year for the schools he listed, it seems that schools average around 7-10% acceptance of the waitlist rates... higher if you don't count the withdrawals. Obviously this isn't scientific or anything, but there may be something to be said for it. Still... his chances aren't great. Taking even the high number for 5 schools (since he doesn't want Wake) will give him 41% chance of getting in and the low number gives him about a 30% chance if i did it right.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,83905.0.html

legally law

• View Profile
Flower,
  My hope is that maybe these places are just waiting to see if apps like us don't bomb in senior yr?? Have you sent your senior fall grades yet (assuming you're still in school)?  Do you know how long LSAC will take to process new grades, or should one just send the grades directly to the school??

BTW- does anyone else have 6 or more T1 wait lists?  Or have I earned the dubious distinction of champion in this regard?  Please, tell me I'm not the BIGGEST WL moron out there, please...though I have the sneaking suspicion that I am (& its well-deserved  :'(  )..

I've got six :(  But, it really could be worse:)

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I've got 6 too.. right there with you! Is this year typical? I feel like I know so many on multiple waitlists. Maybe more people applied and more people applied to more schools?

ArthurKing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
6 waitlists, all in the T14.  ??? :'( ??? (Although I'm stretching it a bit, since I've been accepted from one of the waitlists)

The whole idea of the waitlist drives me nuts. There has to be a better way to do this ... my biggest concern is that people with our number of waitlists (who are actually committed/interested toward one or more of the schools where they are waitlisted) are going to have a never-ending cycle. What's it going to be like to be on pins and needles from now until potentially August!?!

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What's it going to be like to be on pins and needles from now until potentially August!?!

Not awesome.

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
I am also on 6 waitlists from top 15 schools. It does seem oddly typical this cycle. Let's hope we get off some of them!
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack