Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 6 WLs at tier 1 schools ..christ...do you think one will eventually take me??  (Read 5368 times)

legally law

• View Profile
6 waitlists, all in the T14.  ??? :'( ??? (Although I'm stretching it a bit, since I've been accepted from one of the waitlists)
The whole idea of the waitlist drives me nuts. There has to be a better way to do this ... my biggest concern is that people with our number of waitlists (who are actually committed/interested toward one or more of the schools where they are waitlisted) are going to have a never-ending cycle. What's it going to be like to be on pins and needles from now until potentially August!?!

When did you get off the waitlist???!!!  That's awesome!   ;D

ArthurKing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
6 waitlists, all in the T14.  ??? :'( ??? (Although I'm stretching it a bit, since I've been accepted from one of the waitlists)
The whole idea of the waitlist drives me nuts. There has to be a better way to do this ... my biggest concern is that people with our number of waitlists (who are actually committed/interested toward one or more of the schools where they are waitlisted) are going to have a never-ending cycle. What's it going to be like to be on pins and needles from now until potentially August!?!

When did you get off the waitlist???!!!  That's awesome!   ;D

Don't get too excited  :D It was from Georgetown. I was waitlisted on 3/17 and I got notice that I had been officially accepted on 4/5. It was all very odd / weird / random.

Gtown is my only waitlist where I'm fairly sure it was true yield protection rather than an issue of the classes being filled up already. I say this because I was brought in from the waitlist before the first deposit deadline! (I sent them ... I guess you could call it the e-mail equivalent of a LOCI, although it was somewhat more informal than a standard one. Just along the lines of 'hello. I might actually go to Georgetown. Please admit me. I haven't made my mind up about schools yet!' Guess it worked.

For the other five (and for all of us on waitlists in general) I think it is going to be a much much longer process, unfortunately.

As someone above said it (much better than I), it's going to be "not awesome"

murraj

• View Profile
I'm waitlisted at Washington and Lee, George Washington Univ., George Mason Univ., American Univ,, Iowa, Cardozo (withdrew), and San Diego (withdrew)

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
A friend of my brother was all set to go to American... she had her apartment and was still moving her stuff in the day before classes start.  She got a call from GW asking if she was still interested, and she started at GW the next day.  So, apparently waitlist anxiety could last all the way until the day before classes start.

legally law

• View Profile
Great.......   At least she was in the same city - that would have really sucked otherwise.

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
yeh what do you do if you're expected to move across the country the day before?

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah... it was convenient that it was the city she was already in, and I'm sure that's the only reason she took it.  Better ranked school, similar cost, in the same city.  My guess is they went down the list of waitlisters and called them one by one to fill a couple of seats and since it was the day before classes started, most probably said no.  She just happened to be able to accept it since she was already in the city.

ArthurKing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Heyitcouldbewo, you are not the biggest WL moron.  I have 8 Tier 1 WLs out of 12 total apps.

you realize this thread is from 2005, right?

And yet it's all still so eerily salient ... some things apparently never change  :'(

(cue twilight zone music)

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
tag.

ArthurKing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Just to semi-resurrect this thread

My original 6 waitlists are down to 4.  :) Chicago moved on its first waitlists late last week AND they seem to be throwing relatively substantial amounts of merit money to their first round of WL--> accept offers (e.g. 36k and 50k are the two that I've seen, cited by several people)

Michigan similarly moved on some waitlists late last week and yesterday, although I haven't seen many people popping up on LSD to post news, so perhaps that swath largely avoided the LSD/LSN crowd. Additionally, in the last 48 hours, Harvard has been sending out a handful of the infamous 'phone call e-mails' to some people on the waitlist - the consensus being that, barring a verbal bashing of TS over the phone, this represents a 'you're in' signal.

So, waitlists are moving. Not trying to replicate the admirable albeit semi-hijacked waitlist movement thread on the main board (OMG! Just got off the waitlist) But any fellow 'multiple multiple waitlisters' receiving good news? Share!

EDIT: It seems that what is true for the T14s is true for a lot of the T1/T2 schools - there is some good early waitlist movement. I've heard speculation that it's due to: a. the new ABA policy re: LSAT scores, b. a decrease in the overall applicant pool, and, c. a simultaneous increase in the average number of apps sent out per applicant. Much more volatility this year. Of course, this is all speculation ;D