Law School Discussion

WL at St. John's

WL at St. John's
« on: March 28, 2005, 03:29:02 PM »
Wow...I am getting really frustrated. I was by no means a shoe in but this one hurts a bit. Now I can just wait for Rutgers to most likely make it an even five Waitlists. I guess the more WL the better the chance in getting off one. I am now officially looking in the mirror and giving myself the "I told you so look" for all those times I thought that January was not too late to apply...I guess all of the law school advice books were not kidding about the Post-Christmas application curse. Oh well. Looks like NYLS, Hofstra, and WL Heaven are my only options right now!

Re: WL at St. John's
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »
sorry to hear that... at least it isnt a flat-out rejection.. my numbers are somewhat close to yours so I am expecting my waitlist or rejection any day...

I am also thinking of nyls if things dont pan out with my pending school... have you gone to visit nyls? heard anything about it?

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 06:37:42 PM »
Well I will keep my fingers crossed for you :). I am not giving up on the WL just yet and still waiting from Rutgers, but I am trying to plan with what I have. I have heard mixed things about NYLS but I have not looked at it yet. I am planning on going to the admitted students day. Didn't you get into Hofstra? Is their any reason you are looking at NYLS over Hofstra? I am because, I already live in Manhattan (near Columbia where I go now) and do not want to move. My fiance works here so it is really not an option. Commuting to Long Island seems like a pain but if it is worth it I will do it. The thing about Hofstra is that I here they place really well on LI but that you really have to be at the top to go in Manhattan. This is not as big a deal for me since I am interested in public interest law and not corporate. NYLS attacts me because it is close, they offered me money, and the Pres. of ACLU teaches there (great for my interests). On the negative side, I hear that you really need to be at the top to get any real job opportunities coming directly out of ls. Not surprizing though because of the competition with other schools but it may be a little harder to get the foot in the door initially. Eventually though, everyone says, that your degree becomes less of an issue and what you have done since law school becomes more important. I dunno. I am really conflicted at this point. I am gonna go to both admitted students day. Hopefully I will get excited about one. Are you planning on going? If not, I will repost my thoughts and impressions after my visit. Good Luck on St. John's!

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 06:39:36 PM »
oh! I committed my own pet peeve of typing "here" instead of "hear"! HA! What Can I say it has been a long night!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 11:59:13 PM »
hey, hostra and NYLS are both good middle tier schools in NY. NYLS might be a better deal for you since, they don't really differ that much in terms for rank and you'd be saving so much money on commute costs.