Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Reserve" at Cornell  (Read 6405 times)

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Reserve" at Cornell
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:17:03 PM »
In a letter dated March 22 and my name was placed on "reserve" at Cornell Law. Apparently it is list that helps Cornell keep in line with thier target admission level after they begin to hear back from students already accepted and from which their official waitlist is eventually created.

Is anyone else also on this list? Can anyone tell me what this means and how it differs from a wait-list?

Thanks.
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: "Reserve" at Cornell
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 09:09:01 PM »
Just out of curiousity, did you go to decision around Wednesday last week, or is this just out of the blue?

disgruntled

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 12:30:58 PM »
I got this letter too. I am under the assumption (and hope) that this really is a bit more than a glorified waitlist - because of cornell's super-small class size, the number of acceptances they dole out must unerringly be on the conservative side. I would venture to guess that at least a handful of the strongest candidates get pulled off this list, esp. this yr - as 1. again, they must lowball the number of acceptances 2. the number of ppl applying has dropped this yr  3. cornell generally seems to be the backup school for the rest of the T-14. My guess is that the vast majority of this list gets put on the "official waitlist" (as they put it) and a select few are rejected when all is said and done. And oh yea - I believe it is major bullsh*t when they say the list isn't ranked. I would put $$ on them privately ranking it for their own purposes - I have a hard time beleiving they would make such a list of several hundred people, and waste the time to go through each app blindly again without any context.
Anyways, this is all just what I have concocted in my mind - all other unfortunate souls on this list, please give us your take on it!

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 04:31:55 PM »
I'm on "reserve" as well. I will definitely be staying on this waitlist. At least until the home has been purchased in Houston. At that point, there's no going back. ;)

Good luck to everyone else who's been WLed too.

JAPAUL25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 06:46:52 PM »
where did you hear that cornell has less applications this yr?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 07:58:27 PM »
I got on this list.  I don't think there is much hope of getting off of it.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 04:40:07 PM »
i got the letter today.  i guess im going to stay on it, but if i end up getting put on a waitlist im just going to withdraw.

AndyJay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 12:13:58 AM »
I got my "reserve" letter today too, and I have to say that i'm anxious. I've heard that Boalt's waitlist is a sure rejection. I wonder if (a) the talk about Boalt is true, and (b) whether Cornell's "reserve" list is hopeless. According to the letter, it is not, and I'm hoping that this will blossom into an acceptance. Then again, i have no idea how i'm going to scrounge up the money to attend, but that's a different story. According to my letter, the list is "several hundred" in size.

Let's take a very rough estimate - say they have 20 spots available to us reserves. If the list is several hundred (let's say, 300), then about one in fifteen of us reserves will be accepted. My thought is that we retain an outside chance, but not a great chance to move into the lucky few. Frankly, I'd be happy to be the 180th person in! And I'm not complaining with my reserve spot. I'll pray to the law school gods tonight...

If anyone else has any insight about these "reserve" lists, please chime in.

amelliot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 01:54:20 PM »
I'm also on reserve, got the letter today.  Good luck to everyone.

starrynite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »
i get to join the club today as well. the best part is that i was put on "reserve" by them before, back in december. not cool. like others said, i'm willing to stay on this "reserve" list, but i'm not having anything to do with their official "waitlist"-- there is only so long i'm willing to play this game with them. after all, i would rather go to a school that actually wants me; i'm getting a little tired of being their back-up applicant. you have until june cornell! then *I* dump you!