Law School Discussion

Help- nationally known law schools with sub-par rankings

Help- nationally known law schools with sub-par rankings
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:49:49 AM »
how important are law school rankings when dealing with schools such as Tulane? I just got in to Tulane, offered a nice scholorship but I am a bit apprehensive about attending the University despite their reputation because of the law school rankings? Just how much will rankings affect a relativly well known school?

MaroonOut2005

• Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help- nationally known law schools with sub-par rankings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 12:16:19 PM »
Being ranked 41 is hardly sub-par.  In the long run, the rankings mean next to nothing.  Tulane places well in the South and the East Coast.  If you want to practice in one of these areas, Tulane would be a great choice. 

ASNetlenov

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 12:34:05 PM »
how important are law school rankings when dealing with schools such as Tulane? I just got in to Tulane, offered a nice scholorship but I am a bit apprehensive about attending the University despite their reputation because of the law school rankings? Just how much will rankings affect a relativly well known school?
Aside from the t14 schools, rankings matter in terms of the reputation in their given region. Tulane will open plenty of doors for you, just not in Oregon, for example. If you walk into a firm there, the lawyers will say, "I am sure Tulane is a fine school but I do not know anything about it." Lawyers (professionals) are cautious people by nature, which may or may not be a reaction to law school.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 03:46:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice, my impression is that attending Tulane would actually make it easier to get a job nationally then schools such as Davis or UNC- which despite their higher rankings seem to be very regionalized schools in terms of placement and have lower starting salaries. Has anyone seen the new rankings? what caused Tulane to jump from 56 to 41- or was that the result of a positive coin toss by the geniuses at US news?

MaroonOut2005

• Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 03:49:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice, my impression is that attending Tulane would actually make it easier to get a job nationally then schools such as Davis or UNC- which despite their higher rankings seem to be very regionalized schools in terms of placement and have lower starting salaries. Has anyone seen the new rankings? what caused Tulane to jump from 56 to 41- or was that the result of a positive coin toss by the geniuses at US news?

Their employment rates jumped up significantly (over 10% higher at graduation and like 5-7% higher 6 mo. after graduation rate).  Rumor has it that there may have been an error in last year's reported graduation rate.  Also, I think their assessment scores went up a little.

I know Tulane is much more national than Davis.  I'm not too sure about UNC (I don't know anything about that school).