Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IU-Bloomington. No word Yet  (Read 979 times)

carly

• View Profile
Re: IU-Bloomington. No word Yet
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 10:24:14 AM »
HippieLawChick,

Congrats on the money. They didn't give me any, even though they wanted me to apply and gave me a fee waiver. I was a little surprised, i must admit. Anyway, you should email Mr. Long and ask if there is any money left. I've spoken with him before and he is a really nice guy so it wouldn't hurt you to ask. Good luck!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 12:42:41 AM »
I have to email him about the prospect of the school letting me start a consumer law clinic (if they will, that will really help sway me despite the money issue).  I will ask I guess, but I hate to when I think the current offer is pretty generous!

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 07:12:37 AM »
Not everybody's commit date was April 8th. Mine was the 15th - which I got extended to the 29th. I'm still waiting to hear from FSU, but otherwise I'll probably go to IUB.

I visited IUB and enjoyed it. The law school building was nice and all the students and staff I met were happy and pleasant. The library is gorgeous - but not as big as the pictures make it seem.

I wasn't as crazy about Bloomington, I know it sounds silly but the traffic and massive amount of cars really got on my nerves. The weather was terrible when I was there. I had paid for like 4 nights of a hotel and it was pouring rain the whole time so I didn't do hardly any house hunting or getting to walk around campus.
If anybody is interested, I did spend several hours at one of the local high schools and was really impressed. Great building, small classes and quality people. I am taking a teenager and this has been a major factor for me.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 03:11:12 PM »
thanks for posting your impressions RUSewCrazy!

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 07:25:19 PM »
Have you decided yet hippie? I am really close to settling on IUB - even though the traffic annoys me! At least there is a campus bus system. And every city has bad weather! LOL. I just have to buy a warm coat now. :)

ilsox7

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 07:27:21 PM »
Have you decided yet hippie? I am really close to settling on IUB - even though the traffic annoys me! At least there is a campus bus system. And every city has bad weather! LOL. I just have to buy a warm coat now. :)

Traffic?  Seriously?  Um, there is some traffic on the bypass around 4 every day, but reall, we're not talking even 45 minute traffic jams.

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 07:54:13 PM »
I'm just not used to the narrow streets lined with cars :) And pedestrian traffic!

ilsox7

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 07:55:04 PM »
I'm just not used to the narrow streets lined with cars :) And pedestrian traffic!

Oh...welcome to a college town.  Pedestrians control everything...gotta watch it to make sure you don't hit anyone. 

inthesun

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 08:12:51 PM »
I went to IUB for a semester during my undergrad.  Traffic is definitely a problem.  One thing I do like about the school is that there is a surprising amount of culture their for the size of the town.  Big name concerts go through Bloomington, and it is incredibly gorgeous when the weather gets warm.  When it's cold, though, it sucks.  The campus is HUGE (compared to where I spend my undergrad) which is a pain in the ass when the wind chill factor is below freezing.  At that point, public transportation is a MUST.  I accrued $1000 in parking tickets because of the weather. 

For the ladies, I even found a wonderful, classy, chic salon..Mira Salon del Dia.  The owner is a fabulous lady from England. 

ilsox7

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 08:15:02 PM »
Just to put it in perspecive, IU is the 2nd smallest Big Ten campus behind NU I believe.  You can walk from one corner to the other in 15 mins...so it's not really that big, IMO.  I am also surprised so many people think the traffic is bad.  Now parking, that's a female dog...