Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Jersey (RU & SH) or Connecticut (UCONN)  (Read 920 times)

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
New Jersey (RU & SH) or Connecticut (UCONN)
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:50:05 AM »
So I've been accepted to both NJ law schools, both with scholarships. UCONN has accepted me but with no mention of grants. There is a significant difference in the price of the NJ schools versus UCONN mostly due to the first year. I would gain some ground through living expenses since CT is much cheaper than NJ in many categories such as housing cost, commuting cost, and property taxes.

My dilemma is this: Can I really shred my acceptances to SH and RU to go to UCONN when it will cost me much more? In the end, I would probably be looking at around $40K-$60K in debt for UCONN whereas I would have maybe $20K-$40K in debt for wither NJ school.

I like CT much more than NJ and I am not really excited with the idea of riding the train into Newark everyday, but the debt difference is compelling since UCONN is not THAT much of a better school. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone concidering any of these schools and not sure which way to lean?

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New Jersey (RU & SH) or Connecticut (UCONN)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 09:53:30 AM »
Oh - and another thing that is keeping me from going all out for UCONN is the fact that they almost dropped out of T1 this year. I know, the rankings are a pointless marketting trap  ::) (right?)

I just don't want the school going down hill while I'm there. I would love to know what hard factors contributed to their slip.

kristay

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:25:26 AM »
I have absolutely no advice for you, just wanted to see how your law school visits went! :)

P.S. Screw the ratings

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 11:58:34 AM »
Thanks Krista  ;)

Remember when I said that I didn't want to like Seton Hall? Well I'm having the problem of choosing and it's killing me. Have you made a descision yet?

Here's the link to my UCONN campus album:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=zrjbgvn.76egj4b&x=0&y=499nw1

kristay

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »
Haha...I felt the same way!  I didn't want to like SHU either.  What did you think of Rutgers?

kristay

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 12:03:45 PM »
Nice pictures, btw.

(And no, I haven't made a decision yet.  I'll be going back out to NY/NJ for Fordham and Seton Hall's admitted student days.)

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 01:39:11 PM »
Thanks. I hope the pics help someone see how nice the campus is. Now if I can only find someone to chime in on my problem...

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 01:50:37 PM »
I think education-wise, the schools are comparable. Same thing with placement. With either school, you'll still pretty much stuck in the tri-state area after graduation. So basically, it comes down to a quality of life issue. Are you willing to cough up an extra $20k to live in CT? For some people, it might not make much sense, but for you and your wife, it just might. Does your wife prefer CT too? Would you guys be able to buy a house there, unlike in NJ? Would it affect plans for starting a family? etc. I personally put a LOT of weight on quality of life when making these kinds of decisions where there is no real right or wrong.

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 02:34:09 PM »
Thanks for the holla back Nylo. We would definately be able to afford a house around the Hartford area (in a nice section of town too). My family is there and we would have a great suppost structure. I'm trying to figure out if the values of all those intangibles outweighs the concrete difference in price. If it comes down to $25K would you choose the more expensive option? My heart tells me that I will be much happier in CT and my head tells me that $25K difference won't mean much in the long run. It's just difficult to place a dollar amount on some of these pros and cons.

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 02:37:38 PM »
Nerf - I think you summed it up with the last 2 lines of your recent post. That dollar amount is almost insignificant if yuo compare the earning potential for all 3 schools. Now, if it was say 75k, that would give you something to think about. As per CT dropping in rankings, these thigns fluctuate from year to year, if they've consistently been in the top tier, unless something is incredibly wrong, they'll probably stay there. Just like the stock market, don't follow the trends, pay more attention to long-term history and potential.