Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pitt - where are yinz living?  (Read 338 times)

Painting101

• Sr. Citizen
  • 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile
Pitt - where are yinz living?
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:39:37 PM »
I've decided on Pitt.  I will be moving in with a friend from high school who will be a mechanical engineering grad student starting in the fall.  We're starting to look for places now.  Does anyone familiar with Pittsburgh have any suggestions?  I have a buddy at Pitt undergrad who lives in Oakland, and his particular part of town scares me. 

I heard something about Squirrel Hill?  I'm vaguely familiar w/ the area as my girlfriend lives in North Hills (parents would kill us if we lived together).  The only constraint that I have is my dog. 

You'll also notice from the subject line of this thread that I'm working on my Pitt vocab.  Ok.  Gotta go red up my room now.
Pitt is it!

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt - where are yinz living?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 09:17:53 PM »
Yes, Squirrel Hill is a great place to live if you're a grad student.  There's a big orthodox Jewish community there, (not to the point where you'll feel out-of-place as a gentile), and lots of good pizza, Eastern European, burger, and coffee joints.

I don't think you'll have that much trouble finding a place where you can bring you dog.  Also, I think the bus service between Sq Hill and Pitt/CMU is pretty good.

Good job on the Pittburghese.  Next you need to learn to love the Stillers, and get a Terrible Towell. :)

clint79

• Feelin blue
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cjw779
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 10:54:23 PM »
I live in Greenfield, which is right next to Squirrel Hill... and way cheaper to live in (although you'll be ecstatic about rents here pretty much anywhere). My bus ride to Oakland when I was in undergrad was about 20 minutes. Not too shabby, it was just incovenient to go home between classes. The bus runs pretty often between Oakland and Sq Hill as well. Shadyside is a nice part of town, even though I was mugged there once. It's a bit more expensive and pretentious, but very central to anything.

And of course you can find a very cheap place in south Oakland, but leave those places for the undergrads. Eccchhhhhh.
I'm wide awake/It's morning! (-Conor)

Boston U, here I come

Painting101

• Sr. Citizen
  • 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 11:08:07 PM »
You guys have any recommendations for any apartment complexes in squirrel hill?  I heard that the Mozart Management people aren't very agreeable. 
Do you just live in a rented house?  I've been searching on the Internet, but haven't found much.
Pitt is it!