Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have the new Rankings Affected Your Decision?  (Read 5641 times)

TheFinch

• 167/3.38
    • View Profile
Have the new Rankings Affected Your Decision?
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:18:34 PM »
How have the new rankings changed your thinking about where you'll go to school?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=AtticusFinch
www.finchism.com
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Pascal

hocuspocus

• View Profile
Re: Have the new Rankings Affected Your Decision?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 08:22:32 PM »
That would ill-advised, especially as so few schools have changed significantly.

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 08:28:23 PM »
Yes, and then no.  Some of the schools I am considering did change pretty signicantly (mainly Pepperdine) but then again it basically made me realize how irrelevent the rankings really are.  I mean in a really generally way they are good to consider, but within each tier, I don't believe there is a ton of difference and I'm trying to not to have ranking be what dicates where I go.  I think I'm back to my original three, Loyola, American and Northeastern.  20 days and counting until I have to make a decision.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 08:57:14 PM »
Some of the school's I've been looking at did change significantly.

Take for example:

Temple went from #59 to #65 (6 spots) while Villanova went from #72 to #63 (9 spots) and they are in the same region!  I think 9 spots is really a high jump
    American jumped up 9 spots from #56 to #47, entering T1
    Cardozo and Brooklyn are now tied! (Cardozo down 5 from #53 to #58)

The one I'm looking at the most is Temple.  What caused them to drop 6 and Villanove gain 9? 

I'm taking this into consideration, but certainly not basing my final decision on it.

Painting101

• Sr. Citizen
  • 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 09:10:44 PM »
My top choice school (Pitt) dropped from 47 to 52 (or somewhere around there).  However, I noticed that their placement rate @ graduation, average salary, and student/faculty ratio were better than my other choices, some of which were higher ranked.  Evidently, USNews weighs things differently than I, which is an important factor to consider. 
Why pay $30,000+ per year at Emory (top 50), when I can pay $4,500 at Pitt (not top 50), and Pitt's average salary is higher?
Pitt is it!

TheFinch

• 167/3.38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 09:22:13 PM »
I'm looking at a choice between Emory and possibly waiting another cycle and retaking the LSAT (if Vandy doesn't come through).  Emory just got a lot less attractive to me.  It's not that I'm worried about rankings, per se; what I'm concerned about is the perceptions they create. 

Take, for example, the letter from the Deans on LSAC's website denouncing the utility of rankings in choosing a law school. Sure, everyone is saying that they're meaningless and not worthy of being factored into consideration.  That's dandy.  But the figures upon which USNWR bases its rankings are self-reported.  Why don't Deans and Trustees simply opt not to report to USNEWS?  Because there seems to me to be a combination of a desire for transparency and self-correction and a giant pis sing contest among ABA accredited schools, particularly those in Tier 1, and most noticeably so in the T14.

These circumstances create a situation in which 'meaningless' rankings assume meaning and therefore consequences worthy of consideration.
www.finchism.com

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 10:00:02 PM »
Are you "Finchy" from The Office?

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 10:26:49 PM »
I'll tell ya, NU's solid position and UCLA's rising position have made me stop for a moment and consider which is the wiser choice. I was hoping USC would rise or give an indication of a trend upward.
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 10:54:18 PM »
The rankings are interesting and fun to watch, but to base a decision on it would be foolish. So many tier 2 and 3 schools are so close it becomes a personal choice (where you want to live, class size, facilities, friends, and 1,000 other things). To think that a school has really changed that much is absurd, and I can't believe this question needs asking. Temple V Villanova girl, look at what is important to YOU, not US news, in 2007 they may switch again, only exception is a school like Penn St. that went up for a reason, and will probably continue to, or if a school has slid 3 years in a row I might be wary, but Michigan and Penn jumping around at 7 and 8 is completely insignificant.

TheFinch

• 167/3.38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 10:55:05 PM »
Are you "Finchy" from The Office?

Nope.  But that show makes me pee on myself and all those around me.
www.finchism.com