Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to start studying for Lsats  (Read 1053 times)

legends159

• View Profile
When to start studying for Lsats
« on: March 27, 2005, 05:11:58 PM »
So when should I start studying for the Lsats. The logical answer would be as soon as possible, but I dont want to spend a ton of money on a prep program 2 years before I actually take the test. How should the regiment be? Any suggestions, any tips, any programs I should use? I heard from an old SAT tutor that the big named prep courses are not as good as the smaller prep places.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When to start studying for Lsats
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 06:21:54 PM »
Start at least 3 months before, so you can take breaks when necessary. 

You can do different things for initial prep -- I used an online tutor, and found it effective (and much more affordable.)  However, afterwards, you should definitely work through at least the 15 most recent exams to really solidify your skills.  The more you do, the better.  Start out untimed, then gradually increase your speed and endurance. 

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 06:34:16 PM »
give yourself enough time so you don't feel rushed when you're studying.  how much time you'll need depends entirely on you, although 3-6 months seems like the norm for most people.

as for prep classes, people around here seem to like both testmasters and powerscore (they're effectively the same thing); also, some time ago, people were talking about blueprintprep.com.

good luck!

legends159

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 07:27:51 PM »
Thanks, does anyone anything I could work on gradually. For example, on the SATs I just memorized words and took practice tests but people who did better than me on verbal said they were avid readers. I understand that for the Lsats critical reading and analysis is very important, how can I work/tone these skills?

redstorm

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 08:49:56 PM »
Take a leap of faith, and consider my advice.

Purchase Powerscore's Logical Reasoning Bible, and Logic Games Bible.  Study the methodology from these two books, because they are the best LSAT books out there (you will find that out as you go through this board).  After becoming familiar with the methodology, practice from actual PrepTests, as many as you can get your hands on.  Additionally, you should read daily and familiarize yourself with dense Science/Humanities passages.  Read my thread on the study group; I included some useful reading sources from which you can read from daily in order to practice your reading (and ultimately, increase your reading comprehension).

Good luck!  And I'd like to take a page from theo's book:  welcome to hell.

:)

sarmstrong806

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 10:42:55 PM »
Where is your post on the study group? I would like to know the sources to read.

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 11:51:56 PM »
If you're posting you should be studying. Just my opinio
Attending: Northwestern School of Law