Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hitting the gym in law school...  (Read 7012 times)

lauralynne

• Sr. Citizen
  • '02 PSU Alum
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LangelK
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hitting the gym in law school...
« on: March 27, 2005, 12:36:23 PM »
I currently go to the gym 3-4 times per week, two of which I teach Spinning classes.  I'm thinking of continuing to teach, but changing from 6:30 pm to 6:00 am classes.  Then, maybe working out the other times in the morning as well.  I think being physically active is going to be so important to my sanity; taking out the stress of LS on the treadmill or spinner will feel great.

What are everyone's plans for continuing to stay/beginning to be physically fit while in LS?
I will be a Nittany Lion turned Pitt Panther for 1L 2005.

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=xpsupiphi

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
Re: Hitting the gym in law school...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 01:02:49 PM »
that's a noble objective.. i suck at mornings.

either way i'll continue to work out while in school.  i'm thinking right after classes, and before any reading/assignments i have to do.  it may be a nice "break up" as opposed to trudging straight through all of my work.  then again, i may have a slight issue getting back to work after a workout.

i've been checking out a few apartment complexes outside of pittsburgh that have fitness centers, pending a decision to attend duquesne.  that, or there is a nice gym in shadyside just off of walnut street that my friend has been raving about.
post-3L

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 01:10:32 PM »
i think it'll depend on the time my classes are scheduled.  i'd really like to be able to work out in the morning, but if i have a class at 8 am, i doubt i'll be able to do that.  i'm not opposed to working out in the afternoon or evening, but morning work outs truly help me to wake up for the day. 

in any case, i agree that regular trips to the gym or even jogs around the campus will be important to help relieve all of the stress law school will entail.

NothingSpecial

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 02:03:58 PM »
I'm fat and lazy.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 02:39:30 PM »
I'm a figure skater, so I was kind of wondering/worrying about this, too.  Right now I usually skate 4-5 days a week at 1-2 hours each day.  I definitely want to keep this up in law school, especially since lately I've been seeing some improvement in my jumps (yay, double flip and lutz!).  I'd really prefer to skate early in the morning (like around 6 or 7a.m.), because I'm generally too exhausted to skate in the evenings, and that's when I should be working on my homework anyway.  I think if I just force myself to do it, there won't be too much trouble fitting it into my schedule while in law school. . .

. . .or so I believe now anyway.  ;D
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Kristih

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 02:45:20 PM »
I get up about 5am, put on my running shoes and go at it on the treadmill for an hour before anyone alse gets up at my house.  I suppose I will be doing about the same schedule wherever I end up, too.  :-\

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 04:04:25 PM »
My BS was in psychology, so here's my perspective:
Regular aerobic activity has been correlated with increased levels of positive affect.  Furthermore, first year law students are significantly more likely than the population at large to develop major depression.  Therefore, it seems that regular exercise would be valuable to buffer against the increase in negative affect inherent in legal education.

I think exercise is boring, so here's my perspective:
I can read cases while running on a treadmill.

:)

I'm doing my level best to get into decent shape before school starts, since I'm sure I'll slip once I start getting stressed with exams.  I'm at 16% BCI now.  Bet I can get 10% before August.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

mattb23

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 05:10:41 PM »
Agree, staying in shape directly corresponds to my sanity, well-being etc. I'd cut out alot of other stuff from my day before I'd ever consider cutting the workouts (though that hasn't been true the last six months for the first time in years, I've turned into such a bum). Ideally, I'd do my cardio first thing in the AM on an empty stomach basically everday, and then my lifting four evenings a week. Not sure whether I'll ever have the time to get in two workouts as a 1L, but I will try--tough to really say without knowing my exact schedule, but I'm envisioning lifting basically right after my last class of the day, and getting the cardio in either in the AM or in the evening (particularly if I have a late night in front of me).

Biggest advice for folks who aren't used to, or aren't generally successful, keep up regular workouts while ultra-busy elsewhere:

-Don't have some overly rigid program tied to days of the week--i.e. don't schedule your only cardio for Monday, and then if Monday gets busy and you miss the day, you've missed the whole week. The best programs are based on number of days (i.e. Day 1--cardio; day 2--chest/triceps; day 3--cardio; day 4--back/biceps; day 5--cardio, day 6--legs and then repeat). This way if you miss a day, you just pick up the cycle where you left it off.

-Something is always better than nothing--so even if you have an hour long work out planned, and you find on a given day that you only have time for half of it, do it anyway (this is so key with diets too--i.e. if you slip up and eat garbage, doesn't mean you've got to eat it all day).

-When really pressed for time, get creative--you can easily get a great workout in at home just jumping rope, jumping jacks, stuff like that.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 08:27:36 PM »
i've been checking out a few apartment complexes outside of pittsburgh that have fitness centers, pending a decision to attend duquesne. that, or there is a nice gym in shadyside just off of walnut street that my friend has been raving about.

Living in an apt with a fitness facility would be awesome!  I've been looking at some places in Philly that have that, but none of the places in DC I've seen have one :-\  Some of the apt buildings in VA might though...hmmm.  I think it would definately make it easier to workout.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 08:33:30 PM »
I gained about 45 or 55 lbs in undergrad and have spent the last 4+ years getting rid of it. I have no idea how to balance study and exercise. Can someone please give advice on committing to a gym routine in LS (for someone who HATES the gym, particularly cardio)?

I really don't want to have to go through that severe weight gain/loss all over again. It was depressing and demoralizing.