Law School Discussion

Hitting the gym in law school...

Re: Hitting the gym in law school...
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2005, 08:00:59 PM »
I gained about 45 or 55 lbs in undergrad and have spent the last 4+ years getting rid of it. I have no idea how to balance study and exercise. Can someone please give advice on committing to a gym routine in LS (for someone who HATES the gym, particularly cardio)?

I really don't want to have to go through that severe weight gain/loss all over again. It was depressing and demoralizing.
UH has an awesome exercise facility, complete with a rock-climbing wall. So once you step foot inside, you'll probably find some type of exercise/activity that will appeal to you. If not, just take a walk in the evenings. The humidity alone in Houston will help you maintain your desired weight!  :D

They have a rock climbing wall? I love to climb (or at least I used to). I've climbed Half Dome, El Cap and a few others. That may help. Right now, I mostly dance to take care of the cardio. I enjoy lifting weights so that's not a hassle. Any chance there will be time to dance in LS? I usually go out 1-2 nights a week to swing or salsa.

wow, that is awesome!  el cap is a serious chunk of rock to climb!  how long have you been climbing?

ive never had the chance to do any rock climbing on a real mountain, but i have climbed on and off in indoor gyms for a while now.  but damn, i dont think i am anywhere near el capitan level.

Well, I was pretty solid for about 5-6 years and on and off for the last 6. 12 total. (I have an insane amount of upper body strength for a female.) I fell big time on el cap. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life.

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 08:21:07 PM »
You've got to keep working out, especially in law school. Both the body and mind must be stong, or so I've heard. Plus its better than feeling like a tub of jello.

maximumtennis82

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 09:06:07 PM »
Definitely will be working out at law school...most likely the same 3 days of running and 3 of lifting a week I've been on the past year.  Otherwise my body and mind feel slothy...

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 09:35:01 PM »
I gained about 45 or 55 lbs in undergrad and have spent the last 4+ years getting rid of it. I have no idea how to balance study and exercise. Can someone please give advice on committing to a gym routine in LS (for someone who HATES the gym, particularly cardio)?

I really don't want to have to go through that severe weight gain/loss all over again. It was depressing and demoralizing.

I know this is cardio, but I hate exercising, but have pretty relgiously for several years now.  Basically I bought a little mini stepper for like $50 and do it every night while I want tv and or listen to music, i do it before i take a shower at night and i save time not going all the way to the gym.  I also do pilates and do weights a little bit, I try to keep it at home adn then i have no excuse not to while I watch TV.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 04:27:26 AM »
My roommate has one of those little steppers.  When she actually uses it ( ::) yeah, she's one of those who buy and then don't use), she likes it.  I like the idea, and would definitely give it a shot if I felt I had the $$ to buy one.

Rowgirl

• 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 06:55:18 AM »
I'm most likely going to end up cutting back my workouts, because right now I'm up at five for practice, then do a second workout right after (if i'm starting class/work late that day) or after class/work around six.  That adds up to about three hours of workout time a day, six days a week.  I don't think I can keep that up.  I'm definatly going to try to keep working out in the morning, it wakes me up almost as well as coffee does!  I would like to start lifting instead of doing strictly cardio, but I haven't been allowed to lift for four years, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get into it.  If those numbers on the scale start going up because of lifting, I don't think I'll deal with it very well

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 06:59:23 AM »
You don't necessarily have to lift to build strength.  You can also do stuff like yoga and swimming.  Anything that uses resistance, I belive.  It's not enough for some, but if you hate lifting (like I do), there are other ways to build a little muscle (which as any trainer will tell you is vital for maintaining your weight in the long run)

manserunt

• The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 10:42:09 AM »
I used to run competitively in high school, and I remember at that time I was getting the best grades I ever got.  I think everything goes better in your life when you are taking care of your body.  Plus, it has the added benefit of giving more energy and helping you sleep better.  So I definitely plan to find a gym near my apartment.  Since I'll be living in Brooklyn and probably going in to Manhattan for class, I think I'd rather not use the school gym (if there is one at that campus).  One thing I definitely hope to do more is yoga, plus maintain my 3 days a week weight lifting schedule.  I should get lots of cardio just walking to and from subway stations (which is what I do now - easiest workout ever to stick to)!

ArmAndHammer

• Quack, quack, quack, quack... Gooooooooo DUCKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 09:50:02 AM »
I'm curious as to what these "little stepper things" are. Could somebody post a link to a picture of what you guys are talking about? Many thanks in advance.

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2005, 06:06:18 PM »
I'm curious as to what these "little stepper things" are. Could somebody post a link to a picture of what you guys are talking about? Many thanks in advance.

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ccn_search/st/mini%20stepper/sy/productsx/ccsyn/260/prd/11985698/ccsid/356743695-23709/adtg/03270523