Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: did your school drop in the rankings?  (Read 2816 times)

Franz

did your school drop in the rankings?
« on: March 26, 2005, 08:35:16 PM »
here is your chance to rationalize why and why they will be higher ranked next year or you can just bash the USNWR.

1) Harvard.  didnt lose any spots, but lets face it, it could be #1. what is holding it back? its larger class size.  Shrink the class size,(this will help in both acceptance rate and student/faculty ratio) hire some more profs too, and send out a bunch of fee waivers to auto-rejects.

2) Michigan.  7 to 8.  b/c penn is a #s whore and they manipulated their employment stats.  michigan doesnt really care because they know they have the better rep and placement, so they only roll their eyes.

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: did your school drop in the rankings?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 06:18:14 AM »
Miami... Up 4.

Rep scores have always warranted a higher ranking.  S/T ratio and job numbers holding back.

I was really surprised how far my 2nd and 3rd choices dropped (Denver and Northeastern).
Going to Miami

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:47:13 PM »
Hmm.  Of the ones I've been accepted to:

Hamline and Suffolk are both still tier 4's.

University of the Pacific moved from tier 3 to #90(!!).

Santa Clara dropped from #94 to tier 3.

Seton Hall rose from #89 to #83.

Catholic dropped from #82 to #85. 

Since Catholic and Hamline are my top choices right now, I don't think much has changed for me (although I am trying to negotiate money from Catholic with the money I got from UoP.  Now that it's only 5 points lower than Catholic, maybe that'll sway them to match the offer?  Who knows, though).
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 03:07:57 PM »
and Cardozo dropped 4 spots..landing at #58.  :-/

esperanto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 04:49:32 PM »
From analyzing the US News rankings and the schools over the past two years, here's what I've come up with.

Top 14 Schools
You can get a good job anywhere in the country.

15-30
These are Bad A$$ regional schools whose influence extends beyond the city they are located, but may not have huge pull in every part of the country.  Eg - Fordham is considered strong in all parts of the NE even outside of NY, but may not recruit as well in a city like Phoenix.  Texas is dominant in the SW and you can get a job in LA or NYC with it, but not as easily if you went to Berkeley/Columbia.  A lot of these schools are also typically located in the same city as a T14. ~Top 25%-33% class enter into BigLaw.

30-70 (And maybe up to 100...not sure because I'm not familiar with the schools.)
Solid job prospects for the nearest large city.  ~Top 10% of class can get a BigLaw job within the nearby city. This is where I think the whole Tier 1 vs. Tier 2 thing gets screwy in the sense that schools that fall into the 40-70 slots move around a lot.  For example, over the last 10 years I think the University of Houston has fluctuated between #42-#69.  (I'm not sure of exact numbers.)  Emory and Tulane might be the only two schools in this category that don't fit this profile because their name travels a little better due to reputation/name recognition of their programs overall. (Law/ugrad/grad,etc.)

In my opinion as long as the school stays within these rankings, basically nothing has changed.  It's when their shift falls outside of it that I would start to get worried/excited.

youranidiot

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 05:15:48 PM »
From analyzing the US News rankings and the schools over the past two years, here's what I've come up with.

Top 14 Schools
You can get a good job anywhere in the country.

15-30
These are Bad A$$ regional schools whose influence extends beyond the city they are located, but may not have huge pull in every part of the country.  Eg - Fordham is considered strong in all parts of the NE even outside of NY, but may not recruit as well in a city like Phoenix.  Texas is dominant in the SW and you can get a job in LA or NYC with it, but not as easily if you went to Berkeley/Columbia.  A lot of these schools are also typically located in the same city as a T14. ~Top 25%-33% class enter into BigLaw.

30-70 (And maybe up to 100...not sure because I'm not familiar with the schools.)
Solid job prospects for the nearest large city.  ~Top 10% of class can get a BigLaw job within the nearby city. This is where I think the whole Tier 1 vs. Tier 2 thing gets screwy in the sense that schools that fall into the 40-70 slots move around a lot.  For example, over the last 10 years I think the University of Houston has fluctuated between #42-#69.  (I'm not sure of exact numbers.)  Emory and Tulane might be the only two schools in this category that don't fit this profile because their name travels a little better due to reputation/name recognition of their programs overall. (Law/ugrad/grad,etc.)

In my opinion as long as the school stays within these rankings, basically nothing has changed.  It's when their shift falls outside of it that I would start to get worried/excited.

It took you two f-ing years to figure this out?

esperanto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 05:25:37 PM »
Uh, no. I've been looking at the rankings for the two years that I've been considering law school.  I just posted it today because I've never seen others comment similarly. In the future I'll do my best to clarify my statements for those who have difficulty comprehending basic english.

mattb23

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 05:51:04 PM »
As a Penn alum, and also as someone who may well attend Penn Law--that 100% employment figure is TREMENDOUSLY sketchy. Disappointed to see UVA's academic reputation drop slightly (still love it's judge/lawyer rep, though--to me, the reputation scores are easily the most critical component of the rankings). Generally disappointed by Duke's performance in virtually every category.

youranidiot

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 06:22:48 PM »
Uh, no. I've been looking at the rankings for the two years that I've been considering law school.  I just posted it today because I've never seen others comment similarly. In the future I'll do my best to clarify my statements for those who have difficulty comprehending basic english.

You've never seen other similar comments?  You've never read this board...or any other pre-law board.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:28:53 PM »

no need to apologize...youranidiot is just an idiot.