Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2006 USNEWS Rankings - Here it is  (Read 200714 times)

denverquestion

• View Profile
Re: 2006 USNEWS Rankings - Here it is
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2005, 10:08:05 AM »
Also, for those LGBT law students that are lookin' to hookup, please bump this thread.

Here's mine , bump.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2005, 11:00:14 AM »
I suggest we call the ABA regarding Pepperdine's "sexual misconduct" policies. I believe it's illegal for an ABA-accredited school to discriminate against one's sexual preference, and to expel a student because he/she is gay/lesbian is truly outrageous! 

The ABA requires that Pepperdine not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.  But just like Liberty, BYU, Baylor, Regent, Notre Dame, and several other schools, Pepperdine interprets this to mean that they still can discriminate on the basis of "sexual behavior."  I love the way Baylor puts it in their statement of non-discrimination --

"We do not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, per se, but we do discriminate on the basis of sexual behavior."

And most schools justify it by saying that they don't allow hetrosexuals to have sex before marriage, either.  But while Baylor (for instance) kicked an undergrad out of the school last year for being gay, I'd be willing to bet that such has never happened to a straight person who was caught having premarital sex.

And isn't it odd that they say that the real issue is having sex before marriage, but then they're the same people who're fighting against gay marriage? 

elemnopee

« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2005, 11:43:15 AM »
Honestly, I think most of you would be suprised how few Pepp students are truly "hardcore" conservatives. Yes they are there, but no nearly in the large droves many of you imagine like at Regent, Liberty or Ave. Maria. 

Also, itis a non-sequitor to equate Christianity with Conservatism, many Pepp Christians are of the Sojourner/Progressive stripe.  One prominent Catholic Pepp professor was an advisor to the Clark campaign and several consulted for the Clinton adminstration.

Dano

« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »
Honestly, I think most of you would be suprised how few Pepp students are truly "hardcore" conservatives. Yes they are there, but no nearly in the large droves many of you imagine like at Regent, Liberty or Ave. Maria. 

Also, itis a non-sequitor to equate Christianity with Conservatism, many Pepp Christians are of the Sojourner/Progressive stripe.  One prominent Catholic Pepp professor was an advisor to the Clark campaign and several consulted for the Clinton adminstration.

A large majority of them ARE conservative regarding social issues.

Just having Ken Starr as the Dean was enough for me to place Pepperdine in the "do not bother" list.  A school that appoints such a controversial person to a leadership position is making a statement.  A statement, by the way, that excludes about half of the population.

mschuell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2005, 02:32:22 PM »
Re: Temple vs. Villanova.

I looked at the new issue today at Borders, and the big difference is in the reputation scores- Villanova is at a 2.6-3.2, while Temple is at a 2.6-2.9.
3.35, 163

Attending: Seton Hall
Accepted:  Rutgers-Newark ($), Villanova, Brooklyn ($), Temple($),  American, Seton Hall($), Cardozo PT                      
Rejected: Fordham, GMU
Waitlisted:Pending:  None

YankyKitten

« Reply #185 on: March 29, 2005, 02:35:43 PM »
Re: Temple vs. Villanova.

I looked at the new issue today at Borders, and the big difference is in the reputation scores- Villanova is at a 2.6-3.2, while Temple is at a 2.6-2.9.

Thank you!  I was wondering what the difference was.

elemnopee

« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2005, 02:46:16 PM »

Just having Ken Starr as the Dean was enough for me to place Pepperdine in the "do not bother" list.  A school that appoints such a controversial person to a leadership position is making a statement.  A statement, by the way, that excludes about half of the population.

I agree, but to be fair, they did offer him the position before the Whitewater investigations.

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2005, 02:54:15 PM »
I suggest we call the ABA regarding Pepperdine's "sexual misconduct" policies. I believe it's illegal for an ABA-accredited school to discriminate against one's sexual preference, and to expel a student because he/she is gay/lesbian is truly outrageous! 

The ABA requires that Pepperdine not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.  But just like Liberty, BYU, Baylor, Regent, Notre Dame, and several other schools, Pepperdine interprets this to mean that they still can discriminate on the basis of "sexual behavior."  I love the way Baylor puts it in their statement of non-discrimination --

"We do not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, per se, but we do discriminate on the basis of sexual behavior."

And most schools justify it by saying that they don't allow hetrosexuals to have sex before marriage, either.  But while Baylor (for instance) kicked an undergrad out of the school last year for being gay, I'd be willing to bet that such has never happened to a straight person who was caught having premarital sex.

And isn't it odd that they say that the real issue is having sex before marriage, but then they're the same people who're fighting against gay marriage? 

Actually, you have to give Baylor credit for their consistency.  I had a lot of friends brought up for disciplinary reasons (drinking, being in girls dorms late, etc.) at Baylor.  They also kicked out the girl who posed in Playboy a few years back.  They are hardasses all the way around.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #188 on: March 29, 2005, 04:15:10 PM »
I agree, but to be fair, they did offer him the position before the Whitewater investigations.

Really?  That's not my understanding.  Where did you learn that?

And besides, they should have reconsidered such an appointment if they cared about attracting more than just one type of student, IMO.

About Baylor, I think putting yourself in Playboy is slightly different than having a loving relationship.  I suppose that I'd agree that neither is the business of your university.  And I could surely see how it wouldn't be that big of a deal, perhaps, if a young gay or lesbian student at Pepperdine had to agree to not have sex while in college. 

But the reality is that not every college student is 20 years old (and, of course, many law students are over 30).  What does it mean for a gay or lesbian student who might be in a longtime, committed relationship before starting college or law school -- especially if the student is a little older.  It's impossible for that student to marry his or her partner.  So it effectively disallows that student from attending Pepperdine (or Baylor, BYU, Regent, Liberty, etc). That's pretty unfair. 

elemnopee

« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2005, 04:29:23 PM »
I checked Nexis, they appointed Starr in 97 while he was still "independent counsel"

Pepp's new salary figures are terrible:
$55,000 - $80,000

I have the USNWR 2006 so if anything wants something posted just ask