Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2006 USNEWS Rankings - Here it is  (Read 196414 times)

funnyfunny

Re: 2006 USNEWS Rankings - Here it is
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2005, 10:35:59 PM »
BTW, I don't need the number to B&N.  I can easily look it up myself.  Also, I pre-ordered a copy of the new rankings guide but thanks. Also, that's not what he said, but glad to see there's a mind-reader on this board. I hope you can't read mine right now...

HTH

I think he was referring to BC's fall in general, since they used to be in the 20-22, but have since fallen to 29 and now 27. It is difficult to guage whether they will ever recover, especially given BU's rise. Their current admission cycle has been quizzical as well, and certainly doesn't seem to be as selective as they used to be. Just a glance at LSN, though arguably not representative of the entire applicant pool, shows that BU's mean acceptance numbers are higher in both GPA and LSAT than BC. It seems like BU's poised to solidify their position and maintain their lead over BC. But hey, I was accepted to BC as well and was hoping to see them recover. It just doesn't seem like they're doing much, or care much, to regain their spot.

And BTW there is no reason to doubt the validity of these rankings simply because your B&N doesn't have the new issues yet. Plenty of others already stock them, including confirmed ones in MA, PA, DC, TX and others. I can give you the number to my local B&N if you want so you can verify.

Actually BC went up 2 spots from last year according to the rankings that are floating around this board and xoxo...D!ckhe@d. Although it wouldn't have made me much of a difference if their ranking did go down @ss.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php

HTH

quote author=soup nazi link=topic=29571.msg438007#msg438007 date=1111942745]
your Barnes and Noble is third tier toilet.  Sorry about the BC slide.

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2005, 10:41:53 PM »
Pepperdine's ranking rose... but I don't agree that it's rising.  There isn't a good enough methodology here for there to be any science to it.  It's coincidence.

And did it ever occur to you that you might want to be careful b/c Pepperdine's alumni network (i.e. the people to whom you'll likely go to for a job) might be really conservative and religious?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade.  But I just think you should be careful -- that's all.  I mean, you're talking about going to a school that will kick you out if they find out you're having an intimate same-sex relationship.

Allright, you're just spreading misinformation.  I know several openly gay Pepp law students (yes, they're still in good academic standing).  Pepperdine also has many liberal students, and people of all religions.  Lots of faculty members and students are religious, but it doesn't permeate all of law school life.  The school is most certaintly rising, in bar passage and reputation.  Pepp also beat out Loyola, USD, USF and SC by a decent margin on the July 04 bar exam. 

Sum: it's not nearly what these clueless people make it out to be.   Get used to it, they'll continue to rise. 

I guess I don't know what to think.  There is at least one case for a fact of a gay student who was pretty well kicked down by the faculty and rejected by his classmates, although his case isn't necassarily representative of the school as a whole.  At best I've heard mixed reviews of Pepperdine, I'm sure I would be fine if I went there, but I don't know if I would be happy or if I would really find a group of people I would fit in with, which is important to me.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

simon_littletree

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2005, 10:56:49 PM »

I guess I don't know what to think.  There is at least one case for a fact of a gay student who was pretty well kicked down by the faculty and rejected by his classmates, although his case isn't necassarily representative of the school as a whole.  At best I've heard mixed reviews of Pepperdine, I'm sure I would be fine if I went there, but I don't know if I would be happy or if I would really find a group of people I would fit in with, which is important to me.

Are you sure this was a law school incident?  It wouldn't surprise if it was the undergrad; it's a totally different world down there. 

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2005, 11:08:26 PM »

Are you sure this was a law school incident?  It wouldn't surprise if it was the undergrad; it's a totally different world down there. 

No it wasn't at the law school, a sophmore I believe.  But even so.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilstepho
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2005, 11:13:24 PM »
I'm probably the only one who cares, but I'm glad to see Syracuse move from T3 to top 100 (granted, it's barely in the top 100), especially since that's most likely where I'm headed in August!
Syracuse it is!!!!! .. all the way from sunny southern Alabama ...

elemnopee

« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2005, 11:26:11 PM »

No it wasn't at the law school, a sophmore I believe.  But even so.

Students Against Homophobia club can’t find sponsor for Tolerance Day
http://graphic.pepperdine.edu/perspectives/2004/2004-03-25-sah.htm
Although Pepperdine has denied recognition of student organizations that support homosexuality, such as the Gay Lesbian Straight Alliance, the statement also implied that they would continue to support education about the subject:

“The University remains committed to the ongoing dialogue about homosexuality and homophobia through lectures, forums, classroom discussions, RA training and New Student Orientation.”

The school also supported a lecture series entitled "Why Homosexuality is not a Christian Value"

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2005, 11:32:17 PM »
anyone got T3? Thanks

I would also like to see what schools are in T3.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2005, 12:17:46 AM »
Allright, you're just spreading misinformation.  I know several openly gay Pepp law students (yes, they're still in good academic standing).  Pepperdine also has many liberal students, and people of all religions.  Lots of faculty members and students are religious, but it doesn't permeate all of law school life.  The school is most certaintly rising, in bar passage and reputation.  Pepp also beat out Loyola, USD, USF and SC by a decent margin on the July 04 bar exam. 

Sum: it's not nearly what these clueless people make it out to be.   Get used to it, they'll continue to rise.

I'm not spreading misinformation.  Every statement I made was about their policy.  I never said anything about how their philosophies and policies were carried out.  But it's obvious, from the information others have posted, that their policies are carried out, at least to some extent.

I'm BI and I'd certainly ask that others not make the decision to attend a school that discriminates, or has a policy to do so. 

Plus, I suppose there could be gay students at the school.  But if this is true, they're certainly taking a risk -- that's all I'm saying.  I wouldn't put myself in that position.  I wouldn't put myself in the position that I could be kicked out of school (and obviously risk my chance at getting a JD) if I were accused of having a sexual relationship with my partner. 

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2005, 12:19:18 AM »
Aside from that -- SD, SC, SF, and Loyola have better employment stats than Pepperdine.  And I'd argue that the bar passage rate matters much less than you might think.

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2005, 12:22:56 AM »
I'm probably the only one who cares, but I'm glad to see Syracuse move from T3 to top 100 (granted, it's barely in the top 100), especially since that's most likely where I'm headed in August!

What happens if they drop back into T3 before you graduate?

(This is the reason I think these rankings are worth a hoot.)
SMU Fall '05