Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Oregon  (Read 5889 times)

fat_daddy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Oregon
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2005, 03:44:48 PM »
The spring is basically days of rain alternating with days of sun. In January, Feb, and March this year, we had tons of sunny days with temps in the 60s and 70s. Since then it has been more rainy than sunny. In late June you usually start to get very prolonged periods of sun. Before that you have to suffer throught the mixed bag.One thing that you will notice coming from Texas is the lack of thunderstorms. The few days a year when it storms is breaking news on TV. The temps will get into the 90s and even above on occasion but it is not humid and it cools off at night.
Attending: University of the Pacific-McGeorge

annchen

• My baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »
Oregon definitely lacks Texas storms...  but I can't say I'm going to miss Texas summers at all.  Personally, I like being able to go outside in the summer without broiling.

sophiedoph

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2005, 05:21:58 PM »
I have lived in Portland for about 10 years, transplant from the Midwest.  The typical weather (exclude this last year) is persistent drizzling from mid-October to beg. of June.  Similar to Ireland or England, not downpours just constant drizzles and gray skies. We do have some downpours, but not a lot and very few tstorms.  Nothing debilitating. The coldest is usually 30's, very seldom any snow at lower elevations.  Summer is sunny and warm virtually every day.  No humidity and we only get about 1-2 weeks when you really need AC in your house.  It is a very moderate and comfortable climate.  The rain makes everything pretty and green.  One thing, if you have allergies beware.  Oregon seems to have really high pollen counts.  I think the weather is great here, not too hot not too cold.  A little depressing without sun in the winter but you adjust.

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2005, 07:41:01 PM »
Good luck on being admitted Wolfie. I hope you get in! I was on the waitlist at Oregon, so I can confirm that they have made offers to at least one or two people on the waitlist for this admissions cycle.

Ya a few people here have been accepted off the waitlist so I know it's been moving. Unfortunately it hasn't moved on to me yet. I applied late (not that I didn't do that anywhere else) and do have low numbers, particularly GPA that is lower than their normal accepts. I'm thinking I probably will have to wait until after their June 1st deposit to know or at least I hope I don't get rejected before then.

I'm from Vancouver, BC so I'm not too worried about rainy days. I am worried about cold winters though but I hear Eugene winters are pretty mild?

hdeth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2005, 11:17:26 PM »
I grew up in Oregon, did a few activities like Model UN at University of Oregon when I was young and freakin hated Eugene and the UO campus. I decided to go to OSU simply because OSU looks like paradise compared to UO IMO. UO is probably the most ghetto looking college in Oregon that I've been to, but from out of state it might look good.

Eugene is, generally speaking, full of hippies. It is a huge dope trade center, has a reputation for riots, and looks run down as all hell. I remember there used to be some huge industrial complex right across the street north of campus (not sure if it's there now or what exactly it really is, just looked like darn).

IMHO Eugene is one of the worst places in Oregon to live...but the law school is cheap+reputable. Same quality as L&C pretty much but 10k less per year. They have an interesting program where you can go to portland for some of your classes, but...driving 2 hours on friday to go to class in portland? ehh...and I'm sure it makes it harder to get extern/internships in portland being that far away...and where else would you live in oregon unless you're retired or one of those crazy people that think small towns are a great place to raise your family (I still don't understand that one).

environmental law? why worry about it? I've met several lawyers with certificates in environmental law from L&C and UO, but I have yet to see one working in environmental law. There just aren't that many jobs you can do with it and plenty of people rushing to fill the gaps. Don't go there for just that program.

There are some decent jobs in Portland, and you can get them going to UO, but remember starting slary caps out ~95k in Oregon, and Portland is rapidly becoming more expensive. average starting salary is about the same for all law schools in Oregon..a little over 50k...

moving back to CA after going to UO?? that seems the wrong way to do things to me. You'd be much better off going to a school down in CA. bar pass rate for UO students on the Jul. 2k4 CA bar was 50% (11/22 students)...and besides you'd lose all the contacts and be overall screwed for work.

for a law school in Oregon, UO is the best...very few people will argue with that. Even L&C grads have told me UO is an extremely good deal. that being said, it's in a pretty crappy town by most people's standards, the rest of the school doesn't look so hot, and unless you're at the top of your class you'll probably be working in Oregon. Oregon legal wages are lagging behind a bit so be prepared to make less than elsewhere. in sum...i repeat the only reason to go there is if you want to live in oregon and work in oregon.

I'm waitlisted there, and would very seriously think about attending...but i live in oregon and i like it here for the most part..cheap to live compared to most places in the country (someone said they were paying $300 for a room in an apt? i paid $300 for a 1bdrm all to myself in undergrad last year), low housing for now except on the coast and in Portland...shrug...it's just a tier 2 though, not like it really has much of a national rep...go to school where you want to work and you'll be much happier no matter what tier the school is. graduating top 10% of your class in a T4 in a place you want to work will almost certainly do you more good than top 30% or 50% from a T2 someplace else...

MODIFY: on the weather, sophiedoph is very accurate...though i'd say lately there have been some very hot days in summer from an oregon perspective...over 100 quite a few times last summer and the summer before, at least in corvallis. summer is extremely dry and can get pretty hot. winter is cold and rainy or colder and clear skies. spring has very varied temperatures. fall can be very nice temperature wise.
remember that eastern oregon and the coast are VERY different from the climate in eugene...and higher elevations can be quite different...Oregon has an extremely diverse environment with an extremely undiverse population...if you're not white and thinking about living here, it might not be that great of an idea if you plan on having kids...don't mean to be scarey or anything but there's a lot of bigotry even though it's well hidden in most places. a lot of people in western oregon tend to lean to the left, but they do it in a real weird way and sometimes don't really know what left is. should i say...ignorant? well i'm caucasian and was extremely ignorant for most of my life, and still certainly am in a lot of ways...but that's a different story. you'll find a lot of people here doing things because for whatever reason they got it into their heads it was a "good" thing to do, but they're not really sure why it's "good" or really what "good" is.

Jim24

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 02:09:42 AM »
I strongly disagree with hdeth's comments about Eugene. I've lived here since last fall (undergrad at UO -- from Seattle) and absolutely love it. The university campus is gorgeous this time of year, virtually everyone is liberal and friendly, the scenery surrounding Eugene is stunning, and the weather is great as long as you don't mind the occassional downpour. Yes, there is something of a "ghetto" neighborhood near campus that's populated with roudy undergrads, but most of the city's residential areas are nice and in some cases quite charming.

For a city its size, Eugene has a remarkably vibrant and interesting downtown, including more sidewalk cafes, bookstores, and funky little shops than you can count. The local "hippie" culture can be a bit of a shock if you're from a more conservative area, but everyone seems to be really friendly, laid-back, and, of course, passionate about Duck football/basketball.

I can't, unfortunately, say much about the UO law school except that it's a very beautiful new building across from the legendary track made famous by Steve Prefontaine and the founders of Nike. The law school attracts lots of interesting and controversial figures (e.g. Ann Coulter) and looks like a very nice place to spend three years.

Best of luck!

hdeth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2005, 07:14:21 PM »
well, seattle is a lot different from most places in oregon, so i can see how our perceptions differ. my family is from and for the most part lives in the seattle area so i have some idea about it...i'd say eugene probably looks pretty decent from a seattle perspective...that's a gross over-generalization of course but both places are similar in a lot of ways. also, coming from a larger city like seattle, eugene probably seems like a small(er) (seattle isn't that big) town that's a bit closer to nature....coming from an oregonian perspective, eugene is farther from nature than just about any town in oregon, is more crowded than most places in oregon, and aside from the ramen shop (assuming it's still around) doesn't offer much if any more diversity.
the downtown cafes and etc are a product of it being a college town more than anything else...features that some find annoying. personally i thought it was ridiculous how many cafes there were in corvallis...3 starbucks was it? how many do you need?

anyways, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but was just talking with a friend of mind from the area and we both agreed that the UO campus reminds us of a rundown industrial complex from the '40s...but perhaps we've been pampered...we also both think 400+k is a ridiculous price for a house, but people moving in to oregon consider it a steal, things like that...

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2005, 04:59:08 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, how long does the gray period last? Through April? May? I read that Eugene averages about 139 days of rainfall (http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/oregon/eugene/) each year.

The gray period can feel like it lasts six months. It doesn't really, but there is a hell of a lot of gray, and you see the sun in the morning and evening. Advice: Drive to Portland for a weekend. It is amazing to get out from under the valley cloud and into the Gorge breeze. Also, get a dawn simulator to keep your circadian rhythm going during the winter. You need like 10,000 lux of bright light in the eyes to tell your pituitary gland to stop making melatonin in the morning. You will feel less groggy and need less sleep than otherwise. I recommend whatever Apollo puts out next (that's what I want). They are expensive but nothing is more expensive than falling down into depression in school.
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

UOlaw08

• AOL Instant Messenger - psikadelik
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2005, 05:23:35 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, how long does the gray period last? Through April? May? I read that Eugene averages about 139 days of rainfall (http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/oregon/eugene/) each year.

The gray period can feel like it lasts six months. It doesn't really, but there is a hell of a lot of gray, and you see the sun in the morning and evening. Advice: Drive to Portland for a weekend. It is amazing to get out from under the valley cloud and into the Gorge breeze. Also, get a dawn simulator to keep your circadian rhythm going during the winter. You need like 10,000 lux of bright light in the eyes to tell your pituitary gland to stop making melatonin in the morning. You will feel less groggy and need less sleep than otherwise. I recommend whatever Apollo puts out next (that's what I want). They are expensive but nothing is more expensive than falling down into depression in school.

Thanks for the commentary lyrarain. I look forward to the weather, and in fact will probably enjoy it. I am moving up from Austin so I will enjoy the mild summers, cool winters, and all the beauty the state of Oregon has to offer. I'm fairly liberal also, so moving to Oregon will be a nice breath of fresh air from my current state of residence.

Getting a dawn simulator to ensure there is no disorientation from the winter months is a good idea also. Those cloudy winters will make it very dark in the mornings!

Do you have any other advice you feel someone moving to Eugene would need? I look forward to visiting in June!!!
ATTENDING: The University of Oregon!

In: Oregon
Out: Miami, Texas, IU: Bloomington, Lewis and Clark, Seattle
Withdrawn: Depaul, Denver, Quinnipiac

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2005, 09:55:24 PM »
This is the big Eugene/UOregon thread I remember, so I am going to post a link here to my post about my 2br house that is up for rent now. i am moving out June 30, and it should be available in mid-July/August (probably negotiable, most things are). Good luck everybody moving to Eugene!

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,34916.msg560928.html#msg560928
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA