Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Oregon  (Read 6095 times)

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Oregon
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2005, 10:59:59 AM »
they didn't have any great suggestions for housing while we were there, but they did say that there's a craigslist for eugene now so that would be the first thing i'd try.

lawk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2005, 04:55:25 PM »
Think it's still too early. I'm told housing is easy to find in summer.

hopelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2005, 04:47:48 PM »
The UO doesn't really have much for off-campus resources because it's so easy to find cheap off-campus housing. Sure, there's sort of a crunch around August-September, but even if you look after then there's still at least one for rent sign per block. Lots of stuff sits around empty for quite awhile.
Looking good: UCLA, GULC
No longer in the running: Davis, GW, Hastings, UO
Hmpf!: Boalt
Waiting, waiting, waiting: Penn, Stanford

A.J

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2005, 07:29:49 PM »
Holy crap, Oregon has sent me like 5 or 6 letters about their programs.  Any other accepties getting inandated with UO mailings?

Its cool, Im digging it.

cubby

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2005, 11:06:08 PM »
I am an undergrad at UO right now so I cannot say too much about the law school, but I do know a bunch about campus (I am a tour guide) and about the city of Eugene.  Being from the Portland area I had to get used to the small town feel of Eugene, something that I am not sure I have mastered in my final term here.  No matter what else you hear it is important to know that Eugene is a college town.  The city claims to be very progressive, however it is easy to be tolerant when there is very little diversity.  If you are from a more urban area it is difficult to get used to how small Eugene is, however if you don't mind small towns then Eugene should be fine.  Housing is very cheap, although the areas that surround campus are known as the "student slums."  There is a great $1.50 movie theater that provides really cheap entertainment, but other than that there is not much to do (which I guess is good for law students who want to study).  The state of Oregon does not fund higher education very well and tuition is always rising.  But the campus is nice and very clean.  Football and B-ball tickets are free and the rec center is very nice, so it is very easy to stay active.  Hope this helps, and good luck to all those who are U of O bound!

A.J

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2005, 06:30:18 AM »
Sweet!  Free football tickets and the stadium is right accross from the law school.

cubby

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2005, 02:56:34 PM »
The stadium that is across from the law school is Hayward Field that is used for track.  Autzen stadium, the football field, is about a mile off of campus.  But the walk is very nice and goes through the bike trails across the river.

A.J

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2005, 04:37:41 PM »
The stadium that is across from the law school is Hayward Field that is used for track.  Autzen stadium, the football field, is about a mile off of campus.  But the walk is very nice and goes through the bike trails across the river.

Oh, I thought it seemed small.  The basketball stadium is close by though right, by the cemetary sort of?

A.J

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2005, 03:05:33 PM »
Awesome news about Oregon for all of you who think you belong in the judiciary somewhere.  Oregon ranks only behind Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Berkely in the number of grads clerking in the 9th circut court of appeals, one step below the Supreme Court.

annchen

• My baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »
I wish I'd found this site sooner!  Yeah UO law...

I've been living in Eugene since August.  It's a great little town, although it's a pretty sleepy town if you're used to big cities.  Since it's a college town, it's easy to find cheap food and entertainment.  I've been impressed by the number of big name music acts that have come through, but if you don't get your fix here, Portland is less than 2 hours away.  Plus, there's a pretty decent local music scene here (especially if you're into bluegrass).

I met some 3rd year law students at a Super Bowl party, and casually mentioned I had applied to UO, and every one of them made a point to tell me what a great school it was and highly encourage me to go there if I got in.  I've talked to people from other law schools who were positive, but not quite to the same extent as the UO students.

I went to both Lewis and Clark's and UO's visiting days, and on the whole I felt much more comfortable at UO.  The students were very helpful and friendly, always with positive things to say about the school.  I dunno what it is but the people who go to UO absolutely love it (at least from what I've seen...).  I can't wait to be a part of it!