Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Oregon  (Read 6124 times)

lah05

• View Profile
Re: University of Oregon
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 04:30:12 PM »
I never thought of that, but I'd also like to know because the cost of a flight to Eugene is keeping me from going to Admitted Student's Day.  Let me know if you find anything out.
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

holdingmybreath

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 07:17:53 PM »
I just called and asked about reimbursing travel expenses.  They said they don't have the budget to do that and that funds are kind of tight being that they are a public school.

I've never seen Eugene, and wouldn't mind checking it out and checking out the school to see if I get a good feeling about it (it sounds like a good school), but I'm not going to pay the $$ to fly there becasue I doubt the school would be so good I would take it over something in CA.  And I can only fly myself to so many places to look at law schools.  Funds are getting tight here too.

When I was looking at flights, I noticed there were no direct flights to/from LA.  It must be a really small place.

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 08:34:19 PM »
I am not surprised there are no direct flights from LA!

You might consider just flying to Portland (which does have direct flights and is a cheaper ticket) and then driving the 2hrs to Eugene (or take the train I guess).  You might even want to check out Portland for a few hours, as that is one place many grads get jobs...

Just a thought.
Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

bigjake5445

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 07:20:41 PM »
I went to Eugene this last weekend and the town is gorgeous, has great character and the law school is gorgeous.
U of O grads do very well in the NW (go to any large or midsized firm in Portland and Seattle, or Fed gov site) and look at the attorney's, a good number of them will have graduated from U of Oregon law. Ocean 90min away, skiing 60min away, portland hour and a half away, Seattle four hours away by car and 6 hours by train. Great place, was thinking about just going to UW or U of Illinois but realize that at Oregon I would be much happier. Just wanted to let everyone know that is considering Oregon that I was very impressed. I also got to hang out with a professor (watched a b-ball game with him randomly) which was great. From what I hear, and saw, the faculty seems to be great. Just my two cents.

Wild Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 07:27:02 PM »
My best friend is 1L at Oregon and absolutely loves it and Eugene. He's had lots of interaction with professors, and describes the student body as competitive, yet very friendly and community-minded.

tommybrasier

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 11:39:38 PM »
Eugene is not that far from Portland, maybe an hour and a half or two.  No traffic, so flying to portlanfd and taking the train or renting a car for a day is not a bad option.  Eugene is also very spread out and there are plenty of nice, very affordable places to live there.  You can still rent or buy a nice house for cheaper than you pay for a small apartment in LA.  Definitely recommend it unless you are lookinf for an urban, or busy city.

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 11:52:55 PM »
i should probably post a separate thread, but is anyone planning on going to visiting day this weekend?

bigjake5445

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 01:05:11 PM »
i should probably post a separate thread, but is anyone planning on going to visiting day this weekend?

I wish I could go to visitors day this weekend but will be travelling. I hope to hear some great things. I'm in to some good schools (UW, Illinois, UC-Hastings) but Oregon is also a good school and I loved the campus, people, and the law school building/attitude and general nature of everyone I met while visiting last weekend. Will love to hear what everyone thinks after the visiting day.

snikrep

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 01:14:13 PM »
I go to Oregon State (undergrad) but my father-in-law is a Duck (what we call them).  He's a rabid football fan so I go down for a few games - they have a nice sports stadium!

I don't really like Eugene... too much of a hippie town for me, but I've lived in Oregon for a while.  For some it may be a enjoyable change from a faster life.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 01:27:36 PM »
Does anyone have any insight about the University of Oregon and more specifically their environmental law program?  Is Eugene a good place to be, and where do graduates end up?

I'm looking at the University of Oregon, the University of Denver ($$), and Indiana-Bloomington (I'm in the SPEA MPA grad program and am waitlisted in the law school) and haven't been able to visit Eugene so I'm not sure how to weigh it against the other two.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i don't know anything about the university of oregon--i didn't apply there.  however, i do know that lewis & clark, which is in portland, ranks #1 in enviro law AND it's in a more populated city.

i take it you didn't apply to l&c?