Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Oregon  (Read 6107 times)

lah05

• View Profile
University of Oregon
« on: March 26, 2005, 12:17:16 PM »
Does anyone have any insight about the University of Oregon and more specifically their environmental law program?  Is Eugene a good place to be, and where do graduates end up?

I'm looking at the University of Oregon, the University of Denver ($$), and Indiana-Bloomington (I'm in the SPEA MPA grad program and am waitlisted in the law school) and haven't been able to visit Eugene so I'm not sure how to weigh it against the other two.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Oregon
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 02:02:42 PM »
Does anyone have any insight about the University of Oregon and more specifically their environmental law program?  Is Eugene a good place to be, and where do graduates end up?

I'm looking at the University of Oregon, the University of Denver ($$), and Indiana-Bloomington (I'm in the SPEA MPA grad program and am waitlisted in the law school) and haven't been able to visit Eugene so I'm not sure how to weigh it against the other two.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pm'd you my "u Oregon review"
Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

rcunio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 02:33:15 PM »
If it's not too much trouble, could you post your review?  I'm also interested and won't have a chance to visit the school.

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 03:56:56 PM »
i'd like to read it as well - thinking about going to admitted students day in april, but would love to know a little more before making the trip. thanks!

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 05:37:37 PM »
OK, I wrote this originally for someone else who had pmd me and I was trying to answer his questions...

I love the location. I am very nature-loving and it doesn't take long at all to get out into nature from Eugene.  One hour to the beautiful Oregon coast, one hour to mountains.  Skiing, mtn climbing, mtn biking, etc.

Eugene is an extremely safe town, and friendly.  It's progressive-left-leaning, with bike trails absolutely all over the place, and health food stores and whatnot.  Eugene isn't that big but there are some cool places to go at night.

The law school is a beautiful building, and quite new.  Admissions and the career center and everything are enclosed in the same building as the classes.  Tee, an admissions counselor gave us a great tour.  It seemed like the career services office was busy and well-organized. There were puffy chairs everywhere and all the high-tech features were there.

The students were SO friendly.  One offered to help me find housing.  An older man, who was an alumni and a Portland lawyer, literally followed me to my car, impressing upon me how wonderful U Oregon is.  He just happened to see that I was taking a tour.

They have big sis/brother program (I don't think they called it that) where they link each 1L with an upperclassmen for guidance, and they have skills workshops and stuff to help ensure academic success. This might contribute to the low attrition rate.

U Oregon is on the top ten list for "Quality of Life" (Princeton Review Law school ranks). I can see why.  It's just so nice there, casual but challenging.  Also there is a lot of really cheap, nice housing along bike paths to campus.

U Oregon is very well known for environmental law. One of the things stressed in the tour was a huge environmental law conference that they hold every year.  I can't remember all the particulars, but it seemed very impressive.  A huge array of different lectures, moot environmental, lots of distinguished visitors.

Oregon & Wash. have a pretty weak legal employment market, but i think a lot of grads go to CA.  U Oregon is well respected in the NW (I live in Seattle).

PM with questions if you have any.

Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

catastrophe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 07:19:36 PM »
I just got back from a visit to Eugene, and despite the law school (which IS gorgeous) the rest of the town wasn't the charming hippie enclave I'd been expecting. The people were VERY nice, but it just wasn't somewhere I (or my husband) would ever want to live. The houses are all inexplicably crammed together, with few (even modest) yards. Pieces of houses (siding, awnings, porches) fall off due to the weather and just lay there, season after season, even in the pricey neighborhoods.
I don't mean to dash your hopes, but I would strongly suggest a visit before you dive in. I had high expectations, and was pretty disappointed. 
164/3.95
In: UC Davis, SU w/ 12k, Gonzaga w/ 12k, U of Oregon w/ 4k
Not: Boalt
Applied: UW

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 08:38:44 PM »
I would visit if I had the money to get out there! 

Housing seemed run down?  How would you describe the city as a whole?  Same condition?  Thus far I've only heard good things.  You've got me a little nervous!  :-\ 

I guess I'm not sure that I would stick around Eugene for much longer than the three years I would be in law school.  I'm assuming there isn't much of a market in Eugene itself.  I'd probably head to Portland or Seattle or somewhere in CA if necessary.
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

sophiedoph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 08:45:13 PM »
I just got back from a visit to Eugene, and despite the law school (which IS gorgeous) the rest of the town wasn't the charming hippie enclave I'd been expecting. The people were VERY nice, but it just wasn't somewhere I (or my husband) would ever want to live. The houses are all inexplicably crammed together, with few (even modest) yards. Pieces of houses (siding, awnings, porches) fall off due to the weather and just lay there, season after season, even in the pricey neighborhoods.
I don't mean to dash your hopes, but I would strongly suggest a visit before you dive in. I had high expectations, and was pretty disappointed. 

Hippies are lazy.

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 04:16:35 PM »
namechangingqueen - thanks for posting your review. i think i'm going to try to make it to admitted students day.

holdingmybreath

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 04:27:12 PM »
Has anyone asked them if they will reimburse travel expenses for admitted students day?  Flights from LA are like $500.