Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pets in LS?  (Read 8391 times)

LegalLassie

Re: Pets in LS?
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2005, 02:30:45 AM »
Legal, where do you live in the area? I'm applying to Stanford (long shot) and Boalt (more realistic) and would love to live in Bay Area. Is there a particular area that would have 2-3 bedroom houses/condos to rent/buy for less than $2k/month / $200k?

And thanks. Frankly, I'd never want to be without my buddies. Having horses is a whole different story, though. Eventually, I'll be moving back to Indiana (where I am now) where property prices are among the sanest in the nation. I'll definitely have land for my whole "family" and more!

I am East Bay and my 1 bedroom condo is valued pretty high, but I live in a nice area about three blocks from the country club - so I don't think this is typical.  Plus, I bought it five years ago and the market was less crazy then.  While I don't think there is much to be had in the Bay Area for 200k or less  I think you might be able to find something for 2000 a month in a rental, but you'll have to do a lot of searching, especially with pets.  You might try craigslist.org.

If you decide to go East Bay (easy commute to Boalt from here) stay away from Bay Point, Pittsburg, and even parts of Antioch.  I notice they have newer housing, but the areas are BAD.  Also, don't even consider Richmond.  Homicide capital of the Bay Area  :-\.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2005, 08:54:58 PM »
As someone who's lived in both the Bay Area and in Chicago, Legallassie's right on point. Renting in the Bay Area might be your best bet for a 2 bd in the price range you're looking for; a couple years ago I lived in a 2 bd in Berkeley that we were paying $1800 a month for. I think the rental market there has, strangely enough, gotten better recently, but you're probably still going to be looking at a commute, depending on where you go to LS. Some of the suburb areas might be a better deal, and might be more accomodating.

Almost the same thing goes for Chicago, although it's a better rental market here. I just moved from a 3-bd in downtown that we were paying $1400 a month for. If you wouldn't mind commuting (which is easy on the train/subway system), you could get a very nice place for $2K a month. *In addition,* Chicago is known to be among the most dog-friendly cities in the country. In the printer's row condo area, especially, there are a ton of dog owners. If you wanted to actually own a condo, there are some places in the near-west side that are being built recently that are pretty affordable and in a rapidly-developing area.

abc2103

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2005, 06:24:54 PM »
I cannot even go out of town without calling my dog's daycare to check up on him every couple of days. He is a fat pug - who detests walks, loves to eat, snore, hog the bed, and pass gas...it does not get much cuter than that...no matter how hard my day is, it is impossible to be miserable with that mug around!
Attending: Brooklyn

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2005, 09:32:15 PM »
Finally got Sophia across country.   It was so stressful (all around), but she's a very brave kitty.  She's settling in, and once I'm unpacked she'll realize this is where we're living now, and start thinking of it as her territory.  (She's already rubbing incessantly).

I'm really just so glad to be able to have her here.  Law school will be so stressful; it's so wonderful to have something lovely and loving to return home to.
Attending: Fordham

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2005, 10:14:01 PM »
I had a rough drive out with the cats.  The Uhaul's AC did not work and it was 100+ for most of our 10 hour drive.  I gave them mild sedatives from the vet, but they were so hot.  I kept having to dump water on them to keep them cool (for once they did not mind), and forcing them to drink.  We took a lot of stops, and I would bring them in a restaurant or gas station with AC to cool them down. 

Now they are all settled in and happy, and hopefully the misery of the move is a distant memory for them.

LegalLassie

« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2005, 01:40:49 AM »
I cannot even go out of town without calling my dog's daycare to check up on him every couple of days. He is a fat pug - who detests walks, loves to eat, snore, hog the bed, and pass gas...it does not get much cuter than that...no matter how hard my day is, it is impossible to be miserable with that mug around!

Speaking of detesting walks...My two chihuahuas are elderly and so I am getting them a "pet stroller" which looks like a pram.  They sit inside and I can push them all around.  Doesn't get more chi chi than this!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2005, 07:44:50 AM »
I think I'm going to be sick, between all these fat pugs and elderly chihuahuas in prams...

:D ;)

LegalLassie

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2005, 01:24:27 PM »
I think I'm going to be sick, between all these fat pugs and elderly chihuahuas in prams...

:D ;)

You'd be astonished how many elderly chihuahuas/sick cats/fat pugs/pet hair on the sofa/pet allergies a guy is willing to tolerate if a beautiful female is involved.  Or, at least he appears to tolerate when I am around  :-\

BigChiefHoho

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.77/171
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2005, 12:20:04 AM »
Geez, you all act like the only pet options are cats and dogs...  My ball python is going with me whenever I go. Doesn't get any more low-maintenance than a snake - feed him every other week, scoop out the remains a week later, change the water a couple times a week.  Needs no attention except when you feel like holding it.  No smell.  No mess.  No noise.  I love my Pablo.  :)
Mein Hut, er hat drei Ecken!
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut.
Und hat er nicht drei Ecken,
Dann ist er nicht mein Hut.

touro1979

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2005, 09:14:24 AM »
I adopted 2 kittens at the begining of my 2nd year of lawschool and it was the best thing I ever did.  As a matter of fact after I got them I made huge improvements in my grades.  They really help with the stress.  They are not much work and they travel well in the car.  I ahve taken them 3 times back and forth to my parents house in buffalo(I live in NYC) and have never had any problems.  I Actually lived in an apartment that didnt allow cats or dogs and I got away with for a year until I could move to my current apartment where my landords only rule is dont do any structural damage to the apartment.  The great thing about cats is they dont need you home a lot like a dog does.  MY only suggestion is you get 2 so they can keep each other company when you are studying at school.