Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pets in LS?  (Read 8552 times)

sierra

• View Profile
Re: Pets in LS?
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2005, 01:18:33 AM »
Just noticed this thread and wanted to send out a word of caution to all fellow dog-lovers! I have an absolutely wonderful dog who will be staying with my parents in California while I go across the country (I was talked out of going to a lesser, more expensive school so that I could visit more). Wait and see what law school is like before you invest in a dog! I would love to see all shelter dogs go home with an owner, however too many of them end up right back at the shelter. I think that dogs require more attention and exercise than a couple of walks. Please don't expect them to be doorstops all day while you are gone. They are intelligent animals who need more attention and interaction than you can probably provide, especially if they are young (my 5 year old is still very much a puppy). Plus, consider how hard it is to find a good place for a dog if you spend your summers working for a firm (studio apartments in NYC or SF are not good enough, especially when you will be away all day long!). You will be moving around a lot, and this is not easy for many dogs (and you won't know how your dog handles this until you have him/her for awhile) I learned the hard way that however much I miss having a dog, it is still better than feeling responsible for the unhappiness and loneliness of a puppy. Mine was very destructive and made herself sick when I started having to leave her alone, and her whole attitude started changing. Confining crates are NOT the answer. So, while I am in law school and maybe permanently, she will be spoiled rotten by my retired parents with the big yard. I will miss her a lot, but will at least know that I did what is best for my dog rather than what is best for me. I just feel glad that I and my dog have this option.

eloisa

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2005, 01:29:36 AM »
I have two cats.  They're coming with me!  I can't leave my furry babies behind.

I recently went through a really nasty breakup, and having cats really helped.  My cats are so friendly and loving...  I'm sure it will be nice to have them in law school.

ramason

• AOL Instant Messenger - Roxanna1314
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2005, 12:02:22 PM »

And what about housing? How difficult is it to find a room or apt. (w/ roomates or without), even as a 2L, that will allow cat(s)?

I'm sure this depends on where you ultimately end up, but in my experience in St Louis finding apartments  that allow cats is a piece of cake.  A lot of them try to say you must be a monster and declaw the poor babies, but they never check up on this so you don't actually have to do it.  That said, I've found it to be quite a bit harder to find affordable apartments that allow dogs.  Most that do have a 20lb weight restriction (which is no big deal--who would want to have some sort of great big St. Bernard couped up in their one bedroom apartment?) and charge extra deposits (a portion of which is usually non-refundable since they have to clean so thougoughly in case the next tenant has allergies) and/or pet rent. 
LSAT:  169
UGPA:  3.29
Accepted:  WUSTL$, SLU$$$
WL:  Northwestern, UIUC
Rejected:  GW
Pending: Penn, Emory, Vandy

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2005, 01:19:27 PM »
For cat owners who moved long distance: How did you transport them to your new law school location? Did you drive, ship, or take them onboard a plane? How did they take it? (I think I can guess.)

And what about housing? How difficult is it to find a room or apt. (w/ roomates or without), even as a 2L, that will allow cat(s)?

Hey, I just bought a one-way ticket for myself LAX-PWM.  Sophia will be coming with me, she has reservations for under the seat.  (WE've flown before - it's not her favorite, but she tolerates it).  We will be staying with my parents in Maine for a couple of weeks while I finalize apartment plans in NYC.  Then, we will be renting a car and driving to NYC.

She's flown and stayed with my parents before, so I know that she'll be okay with that leg.  Driving 5 hours to NYC won't be awful, and I hope to have the apartment all set up before she gets there to ease her in.

It's stressful to move a cat, but it can be done, and I do believe that in the long run, once they settle in (usually just a week or so) they'll be fine, and prefer to be with us than without us. 
Attending: Fordham

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2005, 06:47:45 PM »
Aww, I'm sorry about your kitty!  :(

It really sucks losing a pet!  What happened to her?   :-[

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2005, 07:34:46 PM »
That is so awful.  My heart is literally breaking for you, losing a pet is one of the hardest things to ever go through.

I wish you (and the other two kitties) all the best.  You will need it.
Attending: Fordham

soonertbone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2005, 10:39:47 PM »
Hi Liz. I just wanted to offer my condolences as well. Losing a pet is like losing a family member, and it's a pretty tough thing to go through. I'm sorry it happened.

And to add to the previous line of conversation, my cat will be coming with me and my wife to law school. I think cats are a great option for students like us because they are very low-maintenance but extremely affectionate. Cats have helped me out through hard times in my life because they're always there for you. Sounds lame, but it's true. Lots of cats need homes, so if you have the means you should definitely check out your local animal shelters.

n9282

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2005, 02:39:47 PM »
Tips on traveling with pets (cats in particular):
1) If going out-of-state and traveling by plane make sure you have vaccinations up to date and have a health certificate (obtained from your vet a few days before traveling). The airlines are being really strict about this now and will refuse boarding if everything is not complete. And no, this does not mean only the rabies tag most counties require!
2) If you have a pet that gets stressed easily, consider asking your vet for a mild sedative for the trip (car or plane) or the dose of benadryl for your animal. Its safe and allows them a much happier ride.
3) Car travel is so much easier with pets than plane rides.If you can stand the meowing, panting or whining. That said - Delta is the best carrier for animals if you have to have them in the cargo bay. They take good care of them and have the lowest occurence of "losing" your baby. Trus me - it happens. Another carrier lost my friends 130 lb white german shepard in O'Hare.
4) Get your records from your vet before you leave. That way you have them with you!

Hope these help y'all - I know it's a long post!

Just in case you are wondering - I am a vet tech with two cats who will be movin' on along with me to LS. They refuse to be left behind!

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2005, 02:49:43 PM »
did they ever find the german sheppard??? god, i hope so!

my puppy is a wonderful traveler. he just camps out on the front seat next to me of stretches out on the back seat and sleeps. he's great, although he's occasionally pushed the gear thingy into neutral while i'm on the freeway with his big oaf head. oh well:) i would hate going anywhere without him, he's my best buddy.

by the way, my mom thinks it's weird that i call him "honey". anyone else have a problem with that?

PresClay_00

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2005, 01:14:54 AM »
only if it's the same term of endearment you use for a boyfriend.