Law School Discussion

in at yale, and confused

in at yale, and confused
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:11:45 PM »
got the call this morning at work, and then had to go sit in on a meeting with a murder victim's father before i was able to speak to my parents on the phone. the joys of working at the DA's office....

part of me was hoping i'd get rejected so i wouldn't have to decide between this and hls. i know that sounds horrible, and i should probably shut up instead of whining that i have to make this choice at all. but if anyone can understand the complicated and confusing situation, i'll probably find him/her on this board.

tiptoe

• View Profile
Re: in at yale, and confused
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 04:19:35 PM »
First, Congratulations on your acceptances! Take a pride in that for a few days, (at least, sheesh).

Next, have you visited both of the schools yet?  If not do so... Two great institutions, it may come down to something as simple as where do you see being the most happy at for THREE YEARS.  Location, faculty, students, housing, etc...

Good luck, how I wish I had your dilemna...

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:41:28 PM »
Congratulations!  And def. visit.  That is the only way you'll know for sure which place feels most right.  I bet that after visiting both, you'll feel better about one. 

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »
thanks for the kind words. i should say that i NEVER thought i would be in this position. i was fairly convinced i wouldn't even get into my safeties, and was thrilled when i did. there was also the little matter of the pre-law advisor at my college telling me that my best hope with a december LSAT would be a couple of waitlists...

i visited hls a few weeks ago and had kind of weird experience. i'd been there a year ago because i have a friend who's a 3L, but at that point i didn't allow myself to check it out too closely because i didn't want to get my hopes up -- so it was a strictly social visit. this time around, i went within 2 weeks of being accepted and was still in disbelief. i also ran into a couple people from home and college who i really don't like (plus i had no idea they were students there), so i think that also made it a little disconcerting.

i've never spent much time at yale, so a visit is definitely in order. i looked briefly when i was applying for undergrad, and decided that i had no interest in spending 4 years in new haven so i didn't bother applying. although that lovely city does have the benefit of being closer to home (northern nj, with most of my friends in nyc) than cambridge. then again, boston is infinitely more interesting. i hope that dolce is right and that i'll have a good feeling at one when i attend the admitted students' weekends.

now i'm just rambling. but if there are any current harvard or yale students (esp the latter, since i don't know anyone there) around who might be willing to give me some much-needed advice, i'd greatly appreciate hearing from you. good luck to everyone else and i'm sorry to be a complainer under these circumstances!

now off to have a jersey-style celebratory dinner -- at a diner, of course  ;D

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »
Man, most of us around here sure would love to have your problem. Congrats on such a successful admissions cycle!

In the interest of procuring the best possible advice from your fellow LSDers, perhaps you could tell us a bit about what precisely you're looking for in your law school experience and beyond, and in particular what pros and cons you see in choosing one school over the other. Without much info re: your particular situation it might be difficult to pin down which of the two would be the better choice for you.

Congrats again, and best of luck in making such a coveted decision.

ccorsi

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 07:06:31 PM »
OK.  You have got to be kidding me.  Someone had the audacity to post:  I don't know what to do - Harvard or Yale - I am so confused.

Please, give me a break.  People who score 170+ LSATs and have 3.85+ GPAs aren't confused.

This is merely an ego boost thread and I call bullsh*t.  And if anyone else posts and calls this a 'problem' I will personally hunt them down and beat them until they admit this is merely a decision and not a 'problem.'  A figurative beating that is :)

C2

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 07:19:16 PM »
Congrats - and relax.

You really can't make a wrong choice now, so just trust your instincts. These schools have very different atmospheres (despite being uniformly excellent), and one of them is bound to feel more like "home" to you. Go with whichever one that is - and then enjoy! You've earned it! :D

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 07:25:18 PM »
got the call this morning at work, and then had to go sit in on a meeting with a murder victim's father before i was able to speak to my parents on the phone. the joys of working at the DA's office....

part of me was hoping i'd get rejected so i wouldn't have to decide between this and hls. i know that sounds horrible, and i should probably shut up instead of whining that i have to make this choice at all. but if anyone can understand the complicated and confusing situation, i'll probably find him/her on this board.

Just want to join others in congratulating you. 

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 08:53:52 PM »
sorry to offend, ccorsi. believe me, i've read similar posts on here before and wanted to vomit. that's why i almost didn't say anything, but since i can't really have this conversation with anyone i actually know without them hating me, i felt like doing it semi-anonymously was preferable. but i understand if you think i'm obnoxious. i probably would too.  but i've tried to explain that a lot of why i really am confused is because never in a million years thought i would be in this position. i thought harvard was too good to be true, so i figured yale wouldn't make the same mistake.

as for my interests, goals, etc.....i'm really not sure, which is a big problem. my first love is politics (domestic, int'l, comparative), but my current job (at a big-city DA's office) has gotten me much more interested in criminal justice. part of me would enjoy coming back as an ADA and really living out my law & order dreams, and my bleeding heart might point me toward a public defender's office. but since my family is in pretty bad shape financially, i feel like it would be more responsible for me to take something that actually pays well. i suppose the best option would be something public interest-y that allows me to move away from the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle. i'm sure this is not at all helpful in trying to get advice. thanks to anyone who tries though!

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 04:22:19 AM »
Abbie, you seem like a really nice person - I don't think ccorsi meant to make you feel bad, he was trying to put things in perspective with a little tough love. :)

Ok, if this makes any difference, I'm going to put myself in the line of fire:

When I was applying to colleges, I only found 9 I liked.  A friend who had gone to Harvard told me to apply, so because I like even numbers, I put Harvard in my 10th spot (true story).  When I got the letter, I was confused because I couldn't remember where I'd applied to in Massachusetts (I had completely forgotten about Harvard).  When I got in, I was appalled and terrified.  I had never considered the possibility that I might get in.  I hadn't even thought about it.  (And I had the impression that Harvard wasn't a nice place because of my sister's experience visitng, but that's another story).  I thought I had to go there because it was HAHVAHD.  My mom said, "You don't have to go.  Visit, and if you hate it, go somewhere else!" Anyway, I visited and loved it.  And went.

My point is that it is really disconcerting when something great happens to you that you genuinely hadn't even thought about.  It kind of rocks your world and leaves you dazed and confused, if happy.  Don't feel bad for feeling this way!  You're obviously happy to have such a great choice, just shaken by how unexpected it all is. 

You need, need, need to visit, like Mrs. M said.  You will feel more at home at one (and try visiting HLS for real, because it'll make a difference walking around, knowing you're admitted).  So no worries: the visits will make your decision for you.