Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Temple and Case after both sent me fee waivers.  (Read 469 times)

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
NICE

I've already withdrawn from Case, and I plan on doing the same at Temple.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted at Temple and Case after both sent me fee waivers.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 03:46:46 PM »
That's the thing about fee waivers.  They make people think they are being so recruited that it's like the school is saying, "You're in!" but really the school is saying "You are part of a broad group of people with a particular statistical marker (Lsat range, etc), and we would like to receive many applications from people in that group".  In fact, by sending out the fee waivers to everyone with similar statistics, it might even be HARDER for you to distinguish yourself from the other applicants.

I know quite a few people (in real life:)) who have misunderstood fee waivers to be semi-guarantees of admission.  I blame the schools of course!  They just flatter you to bits, you work your butt off for their app, and then you get turned down.  Some schools aren't even being that specific about it (IE not targeting very narrowly).  They seem to just want to increase their app/rejection rate.  I believe ND is often accused of this....

Anyway, that's my rant of the day. :D
Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted at Temple and Case after both sent me fee waivers.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 03:50:01 PM »
It certainly seems like this week everyone got sent waitlist letters. W&M, Temple, Hofstra, and Rutger's-Camden were following that trend at least ....