Law School Discussion

What kind of PS is this? Does this stack up well to the comp? How can I improve?

OK, then why do you want to go into law?

dal79

• View Profile
    • Email
OMFG...........DID YOU EVER TAKE ENGLISH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

dal79

• View Profile
    • Email
OMFG...........DID YOU EVER TAKE ENGLISH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

my bad, a little harsh.  PM me if you wanna read my PS

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email

Okay, ill bute. The reason why I want to go to Law school is to do my part to defend and promote the development and preservation of the community and to do my part, whatever the size to make sure that all of held accounted and that those who have something to contribute to the community are able to do so.

Painting101

• 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile

Okay, ill bute. The reason why I want to go to Law school is to do my part to defend and promote the development and preservation of the community and to do my part, whatever the size to make sure that all of held accounted and that those who have something to contribute to the community are able to do so.

run for mayor.

OK, now if I were approaching this statement as an adcomm, I think I would be thinking, "gee, this is a broad statement.  How would he protect and proserve the community and hold people accountable?  How does that relate to getting a law degree?  It almost sounds like he wants to be a police man."

Thinking as myself for a second, it sounds like you might want to be a prosecutor?  Maybe you could write an essay about wanting to be a prosecutor?  I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there...

Happy_Weasel

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, the reason why I say something broad is that I have two real passions that work with each other. My family has been through several legal challenges and many medical challenges. The two passions I have is Pub.intrst./Enviromental/Heatlh and I.P/business. The center passion is to protect the people from the elite and to defeat the backwards people that try to destroy them and to ensure the development of and release of the products they need to throw off the demon of ill health. Basically my passion is to protect my family and community by versing myself and practicing the weapons of our society: the law.

Well, the reason why I say something broad is that I have two real passions that work with each other. My family has been through several legal challenges and many medical challenges. The two passions I have is Pub.intrst./Enviromental/Heatlh and I.P/business. The center passion is to protect the people from the elite and to defeat the backwards people that try to destroy them and to ensure the development of and release of the products they need to throw off the demon of ill health. Basically my passion is to protect my family and community by versing myself and practicing the weapons of our society: the law.

Gotcha.  Those are two very distinct passions, though.  You might be better off if you just focused on one in your essay just so your essay can have a coherent theme (you could maybe mention the other in one of the shorter essay questions that many apps have).  Also, it seems like your interest in public interest/environmental/health law is very well-thought out, while you haven't explained your interest in business/IP law as clearly.  How would business law relate back to protecting people?  "Business law" can mean a lot of different things.  Some of it -- contractual work -- doesn't really seem to directly protect people in the same way that, say, a policeman, prosecutor, or environmental lobbyist/lawyer would.  And a lot of business litigation can be viewed as arguments between several large companies.  Of course, I'm sure you can make an argument that the type of business/IP law that you want to go into protects people in a different way.  I just don't think your essays have made that kind of compelling argument yet.

Anyway, if you want to revise your essay and post it again I'll help you with it if you want.

dal79

• View Profile
    • Email
IMO, you're better off not saying too much about law.  I'm sure you have a very good PS in you that dosent involve you trying to fight social injustice, save the world, etc.  Ad Comms get that crap all the time I'm sure.

Happy_Weasel

• View Profile
    • Email
So what would be your suggestion? Talking about what I have to offer while in law school and how I they will know that I will bring something to the table?