Law School Discussion

What kind of PS is this? Does this stack up well to the comp? How can I improve?

To answer your questions (re both ps) -

Ick, awful.

Knowing what was in mine and the few I've read (and they're all admitted to the schools of their choices), I can safely say it doesn't stack up well at all. Bottom of heap. Bird cage liner. Round File Fodder.

The advice I was given was to sit down, sketch out three or for short stories about your life, choose the one that is most interesting to someone who doesn't know you, and then tell that story in a way that gets your personality and experience across to the reader. Do not touch on ANYTHING that is already somewhere else in your application and/or resume (ie, leave out OA and Eagle Scout, unless there is a story to tell there). Don't do a life history, don't do a whine fest.

Just tell an interesting story well.

At the very least, consult the advice at www.deloggio.com.

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hmm...looks like everyone HATES it...should I just give up? I mean can I still get into somewhere without having to do this?

youranidiot

Hmm...looks like everyone HATES it...should I just give up? I mean can I still get into somewhere without having to do this?

It's f-ing March.

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Im planning for October.

Xony

• AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
Matonte, try rewriting it.  Make it more focused and more interesting.  No reason to just give up.

youranidiot

Im planning for October.

It's f-ing March.

NO!
nobody said what they did to upset you! you asked for opinions, and that's what you got. And that's what you need, b/c you have lots of time to change it and rework things or just try again. If only you knew how many times the rest of us have done that! And still hated the outcome and tried again!
Don't have a defeatist attitude! You've started with all this stuff very early and by the time it's time to submit it it'll be great!

Matonte,

You will be fine.  You have a ton of time to do this.  Go to a Barnes and Nobles, and buy one (or more) of the "how to write a law school essay" books.  Then write a new essay, and go to the writing workshop at your college and have them help you with it.  You'll come up with a great essay.

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Matonte,

I'm sure most law schools require a personal statement. And you never know it MIGHT be the deciding factor at a target school.

Look, I write for a living and it still took me FOREVER to finish my personal statements. My first draft (or two or three)weren't so hot either. Fortunately I had some candid people tell me that.

Eegahh

• MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Also, keep in mind that even if you did manage to find a school that doesn't require a PS, that's only a temporary escape from the real problem, which, sorry to say, is that your writing skills need serious improvement.

Once you're in law school, writing skills are likely to become more important, not less.  Not only will you have a legal writing class, the exams that will likely make up 100% of your grades are going to be in essay form. The PS, while the most immediate, should be the least of your worries.

All isn't lost, of course, especially since you've wisely starting thinking about this stuff well in advance.  If I were in your position, here's what I would do:

-Take some writing classes.  Even if you've already graduated, take a class or two at your local community college, or even an adult ed class.  You'll get personalized feedback that we can't really give you here, and hopefully a supportive environment full of other people working on the same problems.

-Start a Journal.  Force yourself to write every day for half an hour or so, about whatever you feel like, and read everything over once a week to self-critique.  Practice practice practice.

-READ!!!!  This is sooo important, and I think it's a terrible shame that English has been divided by schools into separate lit and comp classes.  I don't know what your reading habits are, but if you want to write well, read well-written things.  Find something that interests you, preferably not of the supermarket-checkout-line variety, and read read read.

Anyway, my two cents...