Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA grad student housing  (Read 2631 times)

Borocco

• View Profile
    • Email
UCLA grad student housing
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:46:28 PM »
Has anyone seen it?

akito117

• "Do you want some sandwiches?"
    • AOL Instant Messenger - akito117
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UCLA grad student housing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 02:20:43 PM »
Hi there,

UCLA actually has many grad student housing complexes, the biggest one is along Sepulveda Blvd (you can see it from the 405 freeway) in Palms.  That complex is newer and I think is more family oriented with a daycare center.  There are other smaller complexes scattered around in West LA- the one I lived in was the Keystone/Mentone one which was a bit older and definitely not as nice as the one on Sepulveda, but the one nice thing was that there was a shuttle that goes directly to campus so I never had to drive.  When I left UCLA, I remember seeing a brand spankin new complex being built in Westwood, right across from the Veteran's Memorial, in decent walking distance to campus.  Try to get that one if you can!  :)
Attending:  UC Hastings

bobo21

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 02:21:02 PM »
I was on the waitlist for a year and a hald and never got pulled off.  I think it is meant for PhD candidates and stuff, who will spent 5+ years there.  The only people I knew who had it were either married and had childres, or were disabled.  They were nice though.  I think they have a 3D tour online.

Borocco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 03:15:36 PM »
Thanks for the replys. bobo-were you on the waitlist for a specific complex? I saw on the website that there is one only open to single grad students.  As part of my scholarship I received two paid years in grad student housing, so I hope I can get in.

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 07:07:51 PM »
The place across from the Veterans cemetary is complete. But beware! Grad student friends who end up there hate it. As a grad student you would be better off living in Brentwood and paying less for a nicer apt. The commute is only about 5-10 minutes and i think the big blue bus even goes through there.
I will miss LA :-(

bobo21

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 07:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the replys. bobo-were you on the waitlist for a specific complex? I saw on the website that there is one only open to single grad students.  As part of my scholarship I received two paid years in grad student housing, so I hope I can get in.

It has been a couple years, but I am pretty sure that I said I would take whatever they would give me (I was moving out from NYC at the time and couldn't apartment hunt) and I think I listed the Barry ones as my preference.  I was also a signle grad student.  I didn't get two years of paid housing, so that could make a difference for you.

interface76

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 07:29:40 PM »
First off...the person who said that most people hate the graduate housing at UCLA must be mistaken. It is the first year of Weyburn terrace being open (directly opposite veterans memorial)...10-15 min walk to law school (opposite end of campus)..It is a very nice building with very up to date facilities...the only problem I see students faced this year was the construction and it being a brand new building, some problems did occur. I would recommend staying there because the overall cost ends up being the same if u live in another  apt in westwood. I have friends who are in med school so I have been the housing countless times.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 08:25:29 PM »
I agree. And Brentwood is expensive. You would need a roommate to afford housing over there. Good luck at UCLA. I spent 4 years walking past the law school on my way to class. I love the school and all but I was glad to get out of there.But it has more to do with the quarter system than anything else. At least you don't have to worry about the quarter system at the law school.

Wills69ss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 11:42:43 PM »
I talked to a current student who is living in Weyburn (off veterans) right now and he recommended doing private housing and paying a little more. The impression that I got was it just wasn't worth the cheap price, go for private housing.

Here was his gripes:

Little or no telephone options
Little or no cable options
Very very very small (look at the average square footage in the viewbooks)
Also, I guess there was some trouble with the fire alarms as well

Just thought I'd share

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 12:02:47 AM »
First off...the person who said that most people hate the graduate housing at UCLA must be mistaken. It is the first year of Weyburn terrace being open (directly opposite veterans memorial)...10-15 min walk to law school (opposite end of campus)..It is a very nice building with very up to date facilities...the only problem I see students faced this year was the construction and it being a brand new building, some problems did occur. I would recommend staying there because the overall cost ends up being the same if u live in another apt in westwood. I have friends who are in med school so I have been the housing countless times.

I know a lot of grad students there and they all hate the housing so i'm pretty sure i'm not mistaken. And yes, i know about the construction mess cause I lived on Veteran, right next to it.

I agree. And Brentwood is expensive. You would need a roommate to afford housing over there. Good luck at UCLA. I spent 4 years walking past the law school on my way to class. I love the school and all but I was glad to get out of there.But it has more to do with the quarter system than anything else. At least you don't have to worry about the quarter system at the law school.

Saying Brentwood is expensive is true. But compared to a similar sized place in Westwood would be a few hundred cheaper. In fact, compared to similar sized places, Brentwood is a lot cheaper than not only Westwood, but also cheaper than SM and Beverly Hills (which is actually quite inexpensive too). If you really wanted to save money, then I guess someone can live in Culver City or Palms...but i wouldn't suggest it. The only thing cheaper that Brentwood would be if you live in a fraternity house in Westwood. And after doing that for three years...i wouldn't suggest it. If you really need some place, PM me cause all my friends still go to school, and I can see whats around. I know that one of my frat bros has a place in Brentwood where one of them is moving out for med school in chicago. Its right by Q's, so they go out a lot.  8)
I will miss LA :-(