Law School Discussion

Shock acceptances : Who got into a school w/ a 20% or less chance?

risingMC

• View Profile
Re: Shock acceptances : Who got into a school w/ a 20% or less chance?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 09:10:48 AM »
One of the best admission coups I've seen pulled off on this board was Lexylit's acceptance to Yale. Her numbers were quite low for Yale (but still very strong in a non-Yale-relative sense, and admittedly better than my own). She wasn't a URM or a legacy, but she appears to have constructed the perfect app for Yale by pulling off the serious humanities intellectual impression with a sprig of levity thrown in for good measure. I believe her Yale-250 is on xoxo somewhere. It's a very good piece of writing.

Yup. It's the one that rings in my mind as well. I think she got into S as well, and possibly Harvard (can't remember).

BigTex ... are you back?

BigTex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 09:20:07 AM »
BigTex ... are you back?

i am. everything's been worked out to my satisfaction. since all has been settled, it appeared safe to return.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 09:20:30 AM »
I do think a “soft factor” that causes an admissions committee to consider an applicant has to do with the overall compelling theme in his/her application that speaks about who the applicant is. Of course a successful applicant provides evidence backed up in the personal statement letters and work experience. It’s really about convincing admissions that you are able to handle the rigor of their program and compete with their entering class.

Congrats to all of you who got in and manage to be excellent at persuading admissions to accept you. If your numbers and chance of admissions are low and yet you still managed to get in, you must have a way with communicating. Being an effective communicator  is one of the many important aspects in doing well in law school and of course the legal profession. Some of these post are quite impressive. Happhenery and Timeless seem to have broken the numbers game and managed to get admissions to look beyond that, as did Lexylit with Yale. Rhetorical persuasion is a skilled talent. If an applicant can manage to convince a law school admissions committee with the odds against him or her, more power to them!

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 09:25:41 AM »
What about getting in witha 30% chance?  I did that, and I wasn't shocked, though I was starting to have doubts.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 09:33:29 AM »
 Ya 30% chance is good. It is not at all a guarantee but then again it isn't a really a shock. I think sub 20% chances are shocks like 15%,10% are a real surprise. Congrats on your acceptance! :)

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 09:40:50 AM »
i am. everything's been worked out to my satisfaction. since all has been settled, it appeared safe to return.

Where'd you go and why?

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 09:54:17 AM »
Ya 30% chance is good. It is not at all a guarantee but then again it isn't a really a shock. I think sub 20% chances are shocks like 15%,10% are a real surprise. Congrats on your acceptance! :)

It was more of a target.  I'd say 25% or below is a shock more or less.  I'd say 10% or less is a miracle.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 12:18:52 PM »
Akron 3% chance.

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 12:21:41 PM »
Numbers:  LSDAS UGPA:  2.95, LSAT 156
Graduating institution GPA:  3.33, last 2.5 years: 3.7, in major 3.6, definite upward trend in the home stretch
In:  Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas
Out: Notre Dame, Washington & Lee
Pending:  Arizona, ASU, Temple
Colorado, straight numbers, listed a 1/68 for last year, Wisconsin uses the 'whole person' concept so no idea but I was below the 25th percentile.

Things in my favor?  

A bunch really.  I'm from Colorado, so that must have helped but anyone familiar with that school understands that in-state is rarely a guarantee (lots of attitude for a state school).  Wisconsin was the surprise, as was Texas.  But not really, since I had a few things in my corner.  MY LSAT while less than stellar wasn't horrible, only above average (I believe a standard deviation from the mean).  As I mentioned earlier, my GPA skyrocketed my last three years.  My LSDAS gpa was also anchored by my horrendous and notorious community college career where I managed to drink my way to a 2.2 in a 1.5 year period.  In college, I caught the eye of professors and the Dean of my college and cultivated those relationships while enrolled.  I had four letters of rec from two professors, the department chair and the dean of the college, apparently each letter rated me very well.  Other things?

I worked for a member of parliament in the House of Commons as an overseas research assistant as an undergrad

Lots of community service stuff as an undergrad (coordinated special olympics, etc)

Served two years as a corps member with Teach for America on the US/Mexico border

Masters degree in Public Policy, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University

Writer, Let's Go: South Africa 2002

so I had some things in my favor; however, I was still rejected at Notre Dame and Washington and Lee so it is a crap shoot in the end.

Going to UCB this fall, btw.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 01:55:07 PM »
One of the best admission coups I've seen pulled off on this board was Lexylit's acceptance to Yale. Her numbers were quite low for Yale (but still very strong in a non-Yale-relative sense, and admittedly better than my own). She wasn't a URM or a legacy, but she appears to have constructed the perfect app for Yale by pulling off the serious humanities intellectual impression with a sprig of levity thrown in for good measure. I believe her Yale-250 is on xoxo somewhere. It's a very good piece of writing.

I think it is one of the best examples of someone with low (relative) numbers getting into a school the numbers would seem to preclude by designing the perfect application targeted specifically to the idiosyncrasies of the admission board in question.

Does anyone have the link for that?  I tried to search for it on xoxohth and was unable to find it.  I've heard that it was amazing.