Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Had it with Case  (Read 2238 times)

YellowSpringer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Had it with Case
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2005, 10:36:07 PM »
56 miles one way from Moritz, which takes an hour around here. It's about 30 minutes from the rock-climbing gym in Dayton. The rents are higher than the surrounding area, but much cheaper than Seattle.

My van seats 7, and will be available for car-pooling.

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2005, 10:42:31 PM »
56 miles one way from Moritz, which takes an hour around here. It's about 30 minutes from the rock-climbing gym in Dayton. The rents are higher than the surrounding area, but much cheaper than Seattle.

My van seats 7, and will be available for car-pooling.

You remember me well, YellowSpringer!

I've decided against Dayton, notwithstanding their excellent rock-climbing gym.  But Moritz is on my short list and I've sent in my deposit.  56 miles each way is a long way.  Which is too bad really, because I like the sound of the town :) Also on my shortlist is Case, even though they have so far failed to accept me.

Perhaps I should send them a not like yours.
Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

YellowSpringer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2005, 10:48:27 PM »
It might be more prudent to ask them to confirm that your application is complete. :)

I don't like the driving time either, but it will give me time to decompress before I see the rest of the family. I'm hoping to get some law tapes to listen to. 56 miles is not enought to justify moving the rest of the family. I'm also hoping to find a sympathetic and free couch to crash on in case of bad weather.

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 10:51:40 PM »
That makes sense.  You can sleep on my couch during blizzards if I end up at Moritz. I've reserved an apt across the street at that apt building they're always promoting.

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2005, 10:52:51 PM »
Woo-hoo! With that last post I became a senior citizen!  Life spins by so fast!

As does my sucky Sat night shift at work, when there are LSD posts to obsessively read.

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2005, 11:17:59 AM »
That makes sense.  You can sleep on my couch during blizzards if I end up at Moritz. I've reserved an apt across the street at that apt building they're always promoting.

Hey Name Changing Queen,
I received my acceptance from OSU this week and now I'm debating between OSU and Saint Louis University.  If you, or anyone esle has had an opportunity to visit OSU, do you mind sharing your thoughts on the school and the city of Columbus?

Shine99

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
I must say that my own personal experience with the administration at Case has been very good -- in fact, out of the nine schools that I applied to they had the smoothest admission process.

I applied on 02/01 and was accepted on 02/23. Less than 3 weeks! All the other schools that I applied to took at least 2 months.

YellowSpringer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 12:03:41 AM »
Hey Name Changing Queen,
I received my acceptance from OSU this week and now I'm debating between OSU and Saint Louis University.  If you, or anyone esle has had an opportunity to visit OSU, do you mind sharing your thoughts on the school and the city of Columbus?

Your view of Columbus will probably depend on where you're coming from, physically and mentally. A few people on LSD live in Columbus and love it. Some think it sucks and can't get out fast enough. I suspect that, like so many things, you get out of it whatever you put into it.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area, went to college in Boston, and have since lived at the bottom of the Grand Canyon; Springfield, IL; Kings Point, NY; Seattle, WA; Rockville, MD; and now live in the outskirts of Dayton. Columbus looks like the "big city" to me now, but it isn't even close to being in the same category as SF/Berkeley, Boston, Seattle or DC. It is Ohio, after all.

That being said. Columbus is the state capital and has lots of stuff going on. You can hop a city bus at Moritz and ride a few blocks down the street to the state capital and court buildings. It's cheaper than the coasts, it's one of the most liberal towns in Ohio, and it seems to be a good place both for singles and for families. I find the school very comfortable, and feel that it provides a nice combination of academic rigor and collegiate atmosphere. And it's definitely less humid in the summer than St. Louis.

One nice thing about Ohio is that you really are near a lot of different activities, especially in Columbus. You can go to the beach on the big lake up north, go white water rafting in nearby West VA, go rock climbing in Kentucky. Ohio also has two of the best roller coaster amusement parks in the country!

Hope that helps.

namaste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 01:55:58 AM »
Kudos to you, YellowSpringer!  (Long time no talk)  Looks like you're headed to OSU anyway.  Case IS, actually, a very nice school --administrators, professors, and students.  I could've told you that after my visit, but I'm glad they were able to show you.  Chris Lucak is a very nice man.  His response reflected that, and was certainly 100% genuine.  I'm very glad to hear that you got in.

How did "The Course" end up going?  Feel free to PM if you'd like.

YellowSpringer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2005, 10:31:11 PM »
Hey, Namaste, sorry it took me so long to respond.

I enjoyed the class. The chatroom format actually worked. It let you practice writing concisely, and kept people from wasting time with chit-chat. It helped, too, that we didn't have to listen to people's kids, or the other patrons at the wi-fi cafe that one student used for the course.

The teacher had a lot of good information to pass along. He taught us about case briefs, case summaries, and exam answers. It was amazing how much time it took to read the material and write the assignment. It wasn't just amazing, it was scary. We had class from 6 to 7 pm every night, and I spent 8:30 to midnight doing homework. Fortunately, it became easier as the week passed, so I think that, somehow, it will be possible in LS.

I mentioned the class to the head of the legal writing dept at OSU. She was very positive, especially once she heard that I didn't have to pay for it. She said that a lot of people engage in unnecessary "shopping therapy" before LS.