Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Experience at Harvard admit weekend  (Read 2914 times)

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Experience at Harvard admit weekend
« on: March 25, 2005, 07:12:13 AM »

Last weekend I met no less than five LSDers at this event!!! And needless to say, they were all charming--especially, may I say, totalbs, jayhawk, and helendemilo.  It was oodles (does anyone say oodles anymore?) of fun.

About the law school: So much better than I anticipated, and I anticipated it would be good.  See, about five years ago, I think the rep. of the school was: a.) a miserable experience b.) extremely competitive.  Everyone acknowledged it was a good place to go for jobs after law school, but the experience itself wasn't supposed to be amazing.

This has changed under the watchful and caring eye of Dean Kagan, who puts out coffee, tea, and HC before every class (not personally, but she did put it into action).  Everyone on campus adores her, btw, with good reason -- she really puts students first. Buildings have been renovated, 1L class sizes have been cut in half, and most of all, students are simply happier because they feel like they have a say in what goes on at the school.  I was really impressed with the admit weekend.  There were many opportunities to meet and talk with professors - who, by the way, are very friendly and helpful (I am sure there are exceptions, I just didn't meet any), not to mention unbelievably brilliant.   The students I met are happy and energized by the place.  I really couldn't imagine a more exciting place to study law. 
HLS

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Experience at Harvard admit weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:24:14 AM »
Any negatives in your view?

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 08:38:12 AM »
You have got to be kidding.  Every student I spoke to told me to come to Harvard for the brand name, rather than describing any of the school's other allegedly wonderful characteristics.

The thing that really sounded alarm bells in my mind was the student who said that with class and studying it was only a 35 hour workweek.  It may well be that Stanford is no better, but what a scam!

I realize you Harvard types are used to getting A's without doing any work ;) but I expect more for my $160K.
It's palm trees and sunshine for me!

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 09:31:23 AM »

Last weekend I met no less than five LSDers at this event!!! And needless to say, they were all charming--especially, may I say, totalbs, jayhawk, and helendemilo.  It was oodles (does anyone say oodles anymore?) of fun.

About the law school: So much better than I anticipated, and I anticipated it would be good.  See, about five years ago, I think the rep. of the school was: a.) a miserable experience b.) extremely competitive.  Everyone acknowledged it was a good place to go for jobs after law school, but the experience itself wasn't supposed to be amazing.

This has changed under the watchful and caring eye of Dean Kagan, who puts out coffee, tea, and HC before every class (not personally, but she did put it into action).  Everyone on campus adores her, btw, with good reason -- she really puts students first. Buildings have been renovated, 1L class sizes have been cut in half, and most of all, students are simply happier because they feel like they have a say in what goes on at the school.  I was really impressed with the admit weekend.  There were many opportunities to meet and talk with professors - who, by the way, are very friendly and helpful (I am sure there are exceptions, I just didn't meet any), not to mention unbelievably brilliant.   The students I met are happy and energized by the place.  I really couldn't imagine a more exciting place to study law. 

Haha.  Of course they aren't going to have the unhappy students come around on those days.  It sounds like its easy to sell you something.  Be wary of ever going near a used car lot.

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 09:36:45 AM »
Negatives: Well, the school is big.  That can be a negative or a positive, depending on your comfort level.  Also, the rent is very expensive!  I'm racking my brain for other negatives, and can't come up with any, but if I do I'll note them.  Oh: I heard that the grading can be arbitrary, but that is common to most law schools and largely unavoidable (with regard to the middle 80% of grades).

Anton, I had the completely opposite experience! I sat down separately with four dif. 1Ls that I knew from college/other who all love it for interesting reasons (from the Human Rights program to the study abroad opportunities).  The only negative comment was about how arbitrary grades are, and even that student told me that despite this, he loves the place.  And 35 hours per week sounds reasonable: 18 hours of class+17 hours studying isn't bad!  Especially if you make it enjoyable by studying in nice places and pacing yourself.  The work will be tough, at least for me (little previous exposure), so I'll need that much time to really understand it.  And lol - have you seen my college GPA???  A's were a high school phenomenon :P

Ninja, understood.  That's why I made it my objective to meet with other students who weren't at the admit weekend for coffee and tea. :) And of course there are students who will not enjoy going there.  For me, however, it felt right.   
HLS

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 09:38:09 AM »
Oh and one other negative: the weather.  But being from LA, I love actually seeing the seasons go by, so I like it.  :)
HLS

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 09:55:25 AM »
And 35 hours per week sounds reasonable: 18 hours of class+17 hours studying isn't bad!  Especially if you make it enjoyable by studying in nice places and pacing yourself.

That is precisely the problem.  For $160K I expect to be worked a lot harder than that.
It's palm trees and sunshine for me!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 10:01:51 AM »
Um, you have a somewhat warped view of law school and "getting your money's worth"

If you want to be worked harder than that, then go ahead.  Put as much into as you want to put into it.  Just because some of these people said that they put in 35 hours a week doesn't mean that every 1L there puts in 35 hours a week, nor would it imply that you put in 35 hours a week.

You can find 1Ls at every single school across the country that study 10 hours, 20 hours, 40 hours, 60 hours.  I guarantee it.  Each person at each school is different.

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 11:09:30 AM »
Jacy makes a good point.  Although sometimes something can be learned from the average amount students study at a school, I think that when it comes to the top twenty or thirty schools, you will have about the same amount of class time per school, and the rest is up to you.  I think that 35 hours is reasonable, but perhaps not if you strive to get all A's -- which not a lot of Harvard law students do, simply because (this is what they claimed to me, anyway) a.) it's extremely hard to do and b.) you don't necessarily need to unless you're going for a Supreme Court clerkship. 

:)
HLS

beano

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 11:16:12 AM »
You have got to be kidding.  Every student I spoke to told me to come to Harvard for the brand name, rather than describing any of the school's other allegedly wonderful characteristics.

I noticed a fair amount of "Well, it is HARVARD ..." comments also, but not to the exclusion of other positive comments about the school.  I can forgive a little "it's HARVARD" silliness, considering that it's true -- even a student who definitely did not go there for the name *is* going to notice the effects of the name whether they like it or not, and I assume that most of those effects are positive, so they're not entirely unworthy of mention.

But of course we all already know that "it's HARVARD," so I don't really know why they bother to tell us that.