Law School Discussion

Experience at Harvard admit weekend

jayhawk

Re: Experience at Harvard admit weekend
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 01:55:38 PM »
i just want to add that i completely agree with everything dolcejn, absy, and helendemilo have said so far. 

before my visit, i still had a lot of reservations about attending hls.  i was afraid that the people would all be stuck up and there would be no social scene, and i was convinced that it would be very competitive.  this visit really changed my mind about all of that.  as soon as i arrived on campus, my student host took me to a hls house party, which was full of 1L's  (most of whom were not associated with admit day).  everyone was so nice, friendly, and outgoing.  they really made me feel like i was part of their group already, and all of them seemed genuine when they expressed their desire for me to come next year (which they really have no incentive to do, it's not like harvard is having trouble filling up their class).  also, while i was at hls, i stayed in gropius dorms.  basically everyone i met in the dorms (in the hallways or the bathroom or something) introduced themselves, encouraged me to ask any questions i had about harvard, and said i could contact them in the future if i wanted to ask questions or anything.  these are random people i met in the hallway!  once again, they have no incentive to persuade me to come or to be so friendly, and i think they all did it because they really like hls, and are excited to be able to share their experiences.

sorry to write such a long post, but i really just wanted to emphasize that the info i received about student life at hls wasn't just from the few students they sent to admit day.  i met tons of students that weren't associated with admit day, and each of them were just as eager to encourage me to attend.

also, i can't wait to go to school with absy, dolcejn, and helendemilo!   :-* :-* :-*

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 02:03:35 PM »
I was worried about that too. I'm really laid back and very silly and I don't click well with uptight types. Nice to know that I probably won't have to worry that much about it.  :)

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »
I think the majority of students I asked about whether they were happy or not started out with "well, it's Harvard..." and then said everything else, some good some bad. Maybe it's just me, but I found the people to be rather on the fake/phony side, not like "real" people. So, I went and definitely made up my mind that I wasn't going b/c it didn't fit well with me.

cali444

• I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 02:47:32 PM »
i just want to add that i completely agree with everything dolcejn, absy, and helendemilo have said so far. 

before my visit, i still had a lot of reservations about attending hls.  i was afraid that the people would all be stuck up and there would be no social scene, and i was convinced that it would be very competitive.  this visit really changed my mind about all of that.  as soon as i arrived on campus, my student host took me to a hls house party, which was full of 1L's  (most of whom were not associated with admit day).  everyone was so nice, friendly, and outgoing.  they really made me feel like i was part of their group already, and all of them seemed genuine when they expressed their desire for me to come next year (which they really have no incentive to do, it's not like harvard is having trouble filling up their class).  also, while i was at hls, i stayed in gropius dorms.  basically everyone i met in the dorms (in the hallways or the bathroom or something) introduced themselves, encouraged me to ask any questions i had about harvard, and said i could contact them in the future if i wanted to ask questions or anything.  these are random people i met in the hallway!  once again, they have no incentive to persuade me to come or to be so friendly, and i think they all did it because they really like hls, and are excited to be able to share their experiences.

sorry to write such a long post, but i really just wanted to emphasize that the info i received about student life at hls wasn't just from the few students they sent to admit day.  i met tons of students that weren't associated with admit day, and each of them were just as eager to encourage me to attend.

also, i can't wait to go to school with absy, dolcejn, and helendemilo!   :-* :-* :-*

Great post. Thanks!  I have some very similar concerns about HLS (I'm very laid-back and I hate being around stress cases or snobs), so this is reassuring to hear.

The Truth

• Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 03:43:45 PM »
My experience at Harvard admit weekend was not memorable... >:(

because I haven't been accepted yet and thus haven't been  ;)
Here's hoping that I hear something POSITIVE soon (although highly unlikely given the limited space left in the class) Guess I should have went complete before the middle of January. Oh well, at least I am still in the race so to speak

Congrats to you all!

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 04:02:36 PM »
That definitely was one thing that struck me from my experience: people seemed a lot more relaxed than I initially thought they would.  I'm looking forward to three great years.

jayhawk

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 04:18:56 PM »
that is one snazzy picture you've got there, absy ;)

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 04:23:47 PM »
I thought that chick looked familiar

Sonya

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 04:30:12 PM »
That definitely was one thing that struck me from my experience: people seemed a lot more relaxed than I initially thought they would.  I'm looking forward to three great years.

I second that. I went to a Contracts class with Rankoff Monday morning. I was totally surprised by the informal, easy going class atmosphere -- people were chatting with their neighbours, joking with the professor, "whispering" hints to students who didn't know the answer to a question when called on. I didn't expect to see something out of the Paperchase, but neither did I expect that a LS class would be way more laid back than my UG classes.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 05:08:42 PM »

I second that. I went to a Contracts class with Rankoff Monday morning. I was totally surprised by the informal, easy going class atmosphere -- people were chatting with their neighbours, joking with the professor, "whispering" hints to students who didn't know the answer to a question when called on. I didn't expect to see something out of the Paperchase, but neither did I expect that a LS class would be way more laid back than my UG classes.

I went to Criminal Justice with Weinreb, and it was far from informal.