Law School Discussion

Experience at Harvard admit weekend

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Experience at Harvard admit weekend
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 12:02:28 PM »
I'm being a bit tough on Gropius.  It is perfectly built for its function, and everyone living there seems to love it and have a good time.  I'm just big on prettiness.  :P

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 12:41:17 PM »
My former assistant is a 2L and while she is grateful she got in and for the opportunities she has had as a result of being there, she is not too jazzed on the Harvard experience itself.  She is paying a ton for her apartment (but she has a dog and cat which was part of the problem).  She has mentioned time and time again that there are people who are insanely competitive there, and others who look at it like a job.  She is somewhere in the middle. 

She was just telling me about how her classmates have all started getting ready to apply for clerkships (during their 2L year for after graduation) and all that was pretty interesting. 

The big advantage for her is that she got a summer job at the biggest and best firm back in WI (where she's from) that pays over $2K a week and she will probably get hired there after graduation (barring her committing a felony or getting amnesia). 

Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 01:25:07 PM »

Ninja, understood.  That's why I made it my objective to meet with other students who weren't at the admit weekend for coffee and tea. :) And of course there are students who will not enjoy going there.  For me, however, it felt right.   

No worries, I'm just joshin with ya.  I'm sure most people who go to Harvard like it.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 04:04:14 PM »
Well, I loved it.  I was expecting people to be snobbish or stuffy or boring, but it seemed like a place where I could have a great time.  

I have to say that both aquaintances I have who go there aren't happy.  One girl just doesn't want to be in law school period, so she'd probably be unhappy anywhere.  The other girl says she would have been happier at Stanford.  I can look at this in a good way.  We both went to Stanford undergrad.  I hated the social life and location aspects of Stanford.  If she loved Stanford and hates Harvard for being different, that might be a good thing for me.  At least Harvard won't be like Stanford.  Yay.  

I'm getting excited and I can't wait to go.  Stanford gave me a very generous aid package, so I hope Harvard comes close.  But I'm going to be at Harvard next year no matter what.  Even if I get into Yale, I'm not drinking the kool-aid.  I'll be one of the 2 people that choose H instead.

I didn't think the dorms were so bad.  Gropius has small rooms, but you really can't beat the location, and it's really social, and I only go to my room to sleep anyway, so it could be bed-sized for all I care.  Hastings seemed like a great dorm.  North had nice rooms, but I don't want to deal with my own bathroom, and it is a ways away and less social.  

The weather is the main drawback.  I thought I was going to freeze to death and everyone was saying "this is the nicest weather we've had in months!"  My room is going to look like the inside of a reptile cage.  I'm going to have to have a UV lamp and a hot rock to lay on.  Maybe a humidifier and a fake plastic cactus?

Haha.  This is a good post.  Thanks for the review...I can't wait till April 10-11!

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 04:39:36 PM »
Ninja, don't josh with me.  No one joshes with me.  Not even someone named "Ninja."

:P

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2005, 04:57:28 PM »
I too thought the students and professors were great.  The people I talked to (not just people associated with admitted students days) were usually happy.  One reason that people might talk so much about the Harvard name is that many just finished getting a job and seeing what that Harvard name does for them. 

did I mention that some of the admitted students are kickass?

cali444

• I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 12:02:22 PM »
I'm going to the admitted weekend in April and I have a quick question: how were people dressed?  Could I get away with nice jeans and a sweater, or did it seem to be stricly business casual?  Thanks!

anton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 12:34:35 PM »
I'm going to the admitted weekend in April and I have a quick question: how were people dressed?  Could I get away with nice jeans and a sweater, or did it seem to be stricly business casual?  Thanks!

Based on the last admitted students weekend, I would say business casual would be overdressed.  Jeans were definitely the norm (not surprising, considering that scores of the admits are college students).

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 12:38:40 PM »
what about butt ass naked?  :P

cali444

• I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 12:41:37 PM »
Great!  Thanks, Anton.