Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Comments on Howard  (Read 4759 times)

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Comments on Howard
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:34:22 AM »
I went to Howard's open house and was very disappointed.  Did anyone else attend and if so what did you think?

CaliToD.C.

Re: Comments on Howard
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 03:02:22 AM »
What exactly were you disapointed with?

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 03:15:30 AM »
The facilities were very poor.  There was no wireless internet in the classrooms or even hookups for laptops.  It reminded me of an old AME church.  The people seemed to be putting there best FACE foward and seemed disingenuous.  I sat in for a mock classroom and the teacher seemed to be very abrasive.  She made people feel stupid rather than being inviting.  I go to UF right now and I receive an Ivy league education but I have never had any teachers like that lady.  It was just very disappointing.

funnyfunny

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 02:42:48 PM »
I wouldn't go to Howard for all the dough in a bakery.

Maybe the problem is that you aren't a good match for Howard, which is why it's a very good thing that you would never attend.  Personally, I have historical ties to Howard, and would never say that. If I did choose to attend, I would hope that only those who could appreciate the history of the school would be among my class mates. When most people choose to attend Howard, they take into account a different set of criteria than those which they would take into account if they were considering a main-stream school.  I refuse to get into a debate on this discussion board over this matter because this is an issue that is very personal to me.  I just wanted to let my opinion be known.
HTH.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
I was quite impressed with HUSL at their open house (and on other occasions when I visited) and am excited to go there in the Fall.

Moni - Sorry you had a bad experience.  Who was the professor that you were not happy with?

Hotel - Did you apply to Howard?  Did you make your decision based on a visit?
Think before you speak.

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 04:20:32 PM »
I don't remember her name.  She had a lighter skintone with hair down to her shoulders.  I guess I was just uncomfortable their.  Down here at UF it was alot more laid back and not as "wannabe".  I think that I may have been the most underdressed at the open house.  It seems that wearing jeans and a button up shirt was beneath everybody else.  I don't know.  I am hoping that I get in somewhere else but you may do very well there.  I just don't think that I will.

zya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 06:20:19 PM »
I don't remember her name. She had a lighter skintone with hair down to her shoulders. I guess I was just uncomfortable their. Down here at UF it was alot more laid back and not as "wannabe". I think that I may have been the most underdressed at the open house. It seems that wearing jeans and a button up shirt was beneath everybody else. I don't know. I am hoping that I get in somewhere else but you may do very well there. I just don't think that I will.

I totally agree with you. Was she teaching Legal writing and going on about the CPR method?
Anyway, I was very disappointed too, - with a lot of things.. The Asst dean of admin. seemed way too young, (i thought that was odd). The students were just too 'happy', it seemed soo fake. Most things seemed disorganized and only a couple of people I talked to seemed realistic abt the place and was not giving me the whole.."we just love each other soo much'. Anyway, I was probably just uncomfortable myself.  I thought I was the most underdressed myself... Def. jeans and a shirt does not cut it. I left early, there goes free money..

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 06:21:36 PM »
Hotel - I agree to a certain point.  AA, though, is meant to right a social wrong not just to provide opportunity. I think there needs to be more of a commitment to it.  In my opinion, it is my reparations and helps to elevate the black community. i.e. Colin Powell and Condeleeza Rice.  I have never attended an HBCU but I understand why some do.  I was always taught to get the same education as the majority but believe me it sometimes gets hard because of prejudices.  Howard is good for some but probably not for me.  Wanting a diverse student body is probably going to be a factor in my getting admitted and it should be.    

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 06:24:27 PM »
Yes she was teaching the legal methods and the CPR method.  She was very rude I don't believe in the tearing you down to build you up method.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 02:34:07 AM »

I would prefer to attend a school who's diversity resembles that found in the real world.

No law school in this country effectively achieves this. Thats the true intention of AA.