Law School Discussion

$$ @ GW

$$ @ GW
« on: March 24, 2005, 11:05:46 PM »
Hey guys,

I had been reading these threads and it looked like GW was giving out $$ about 2-4 weeks after the acceptance was sent.

But i'm thilled to report that I was offered a $5K merit scholarship today 3/24, dated 3/17, and I received the acceptance 2/1...

...sorta sweetens the pot!  ;D

Bluenine

• Shut up
    • View Profile
Re: $$ @ GW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:28:38 AM »
Was this via snail mail?

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 08:32:47 AM »
Yes it came via snail mail. Also included was my need-based aid award.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:35:16 AM »
Yes it came via snail mail. Also included was my need-based aid award.

Congralations. 

Do they only give loans for need-based awards!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 11:44:11 AM »
I am so confused. Have you already accepted the offer of admission? I was accepted 1/4 and havent received any need based forms or anything to fill out for aid. I called and they said they only send that stuff out once you accept.

mreleph

• Say hello at GWU preview day.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrowrman
    • View Profile
    • Musings
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 11:57:45 AM »
Does anyone have any idea what the need-based aid formulas are, in general?

I have some money saved up from working 4 years, and my parents have (had?) some money saved up (taht tehy are not planning to share with me, even though law schools think I'm young enough to be a dependent), and I know that the first $18,500 of need-based aid is loans anyway, and I'm trying to guess if I have any chance at a need-based grant at schools where I didn't get any merit money.

I don't feel rich.. and I don't live rich... but I dunno.

Thanks!
Mike

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 12:01:21 PM »
michaelduke, I'm not sure, but that is what I suspect.

clunkey, No I haven't accepted the offer, still waiting on a few schools. The FAFSA and PROFILE were due 3/1, this info was included in the acceptance packet, and that's how they calculated my need-based aid award. If I accept the offer, then I have to follow through with the whole loan/scholarship process.

As a side note: I have NOT submitted my tax forms yet. I too called the fin aid office and they said that was ok the data on the forms is all they need to go to fin committee, the forms are just to verify that the data is correct.

I just wanted everyone that was hoping for merit $$ 2-4 weeks after the acceptance that I got my $$ 7-8 weeks after I got in...HTH

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:47:45 PM »
I just found out I never submitted the damn Profile. GW is one of the only damn schools that requires a profile. *&^%. great. I wonder if it's too late?

Bluenine

• Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 02:33:48 PM »
I just found out I never submitted the damn Profile. GW is one of the only damn schools that requires a profile. sh*t. great. I wonder if it's too late?

LOL :) I forgot too!  A woman I spoke with in financial aid said to submit it immediately.  She then said it could take up to 8 weeks to arrive at GW.  I'm going to do it tonight, and mail off my W-2's in the morning.

Get on it pronto!

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 02:39:55 PM »
Yeah, the FAFSA was a cake walk, but the PROFILE is a pain >:(. I can't believe I had to get my parents to submit their financial information. Apparently one is considered dependent until age 30? I feel sorry for these people. Regardless, they included a note about my financial independence and inturn my expected parental contribution was $0...HTH