Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm a kid, I've always wanted to be a lawyer since age 5, i'm 14 now. Help pleas  (Read 13008 times)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Hi,
My names Roman, and am finishing Middle School. This is my last year, and I'm finishing a highschool credit. My question is, I want to go to law school after HS, what classes should I take in highschool? Should I try really hard, and take all the harder classes? I'm currently registered for Honors English, Honors History, Double Honors Science(Biology) and Geometry 1-2 (thinking about doing it in the summer and going to Algebra 3-4). I was advised by friends to join Debate, take English Law, Business Math, join the FBLA (Future business leaders of America).

I'm a kid, and I don't want to screw up. I've always wanted to be a lawyer, and want to become successfull.
I'll appreciate any advice, i've been googling and trying to find advice and what books to read.

Anything you recommend is appreciated.

Thanks
Roman

EDIT:
My parents have been making me to a special school on weekends to learn Ukrianian since i was about 4 years old.I know how how to read, write and speak fluently exactly like English. I have been bored so I don't go anymore, but I am still forced to Read ukrianian books. Ukraine and Russian are very similar, will this benefit me ever? International law maybe? Or is this a waste of time to continue it.

Roman,
     Your in middle school and taking high school classes and thinking about law school. Get a life and play some PS2. HTH

:D
Yes
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Hey, Roman.

A B or even a C will not matter in high school. 

EDIT:  I know this is an old thread.  I wrote this just in case Roman is still kicking around, and for anyone out there like him. 

Nor will a D, or even F's, as I can attest to.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

gameswizard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

Rofl, go find something better to do.
[/quote]

why don't you.  You are 14. We actually have to worry about this stuff.  By the time you get ready to apply we will be on the addmission committee and intentionally denie anyone named Romanko or whatever the hell your name is.  Because why know that you have no life. 

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
This forum is HILARIOUS!

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Debate club will turn you in to a giant a*hole.  Take it from me.  If that's what you want (and it sounds like it is), then go for it.

I didn't take all of the hardest classes in high school to get into law school -- I took them because I was bored.  And if you are that bored, don't take triple AP Econ double Honors global studies program IB -- try taking community college classes or classes at a local university while you're in high school.  Nobody cares about my GPA from high school, but for the record, it was good.  And when I'm a lawyer, nobody will care about my GPA from college.  (Heck, law schools didn't even care about my GPA from college since I choked on LSAT day...)

From looking around my living room without getting up I can tell you that these are books that you MUST read or you will not get in to college.  Anywhere. Ever.

David Sedaris, "Me Talk Pretty One Day"
Gerald Graff, "Clueless in Academe"
Mark Haddon, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime"
George Orwell, "1984"
Mary Roach, "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers."
Dominic Streatfeild, "Cocaine"
Daniel Benjamin and Steven Simon, 'The Age of Sacred Terror"
F. Scott Fitzgerald, "Tender is the Night"
Alma Guillermoprieto "The Heart that Bleeds"

Good luck!
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
learn to spell please idiot  ::)

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Good call -- didn't notice the date.

Oh well, maybe he'll log in and it will tell him he has new replies.  Or maybe he's already realized that he was a tool.
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
So, it seems that UG is the most important step to getting into Law School--obtaining a solid GPA and LSAT score.

So, how does one go about doing this?  Since I never really worked in school, I lack a studying method, and the like.  I don't really know how to study effectively.  Advice, please?

Prior to responding to this post, please direct yourself to my thread, linked in my signature.  You can respond there to my questions there as well.

Thank you,

kyle

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So, it seems that UG is the most important step to getting into Law School--obtaining a solid GPA and LSAT score.

So, how does one go about doing this?  Since I never really worked in school, I lack a studying method, and the like.  I don't really know how to study effectively.  Advice, please?

Prior to responding to this post, please direct yourself to my thread, linked in my signature.  You can respond there to my questions there as well.

Thank you,

kyle

Hi Kyle. 

You can't rely on others to tell you how to study.  You need to figure that out by yourself.

Here are my thoughts after going through your thread.  You may be bright and consider yourself mature well beyond your age, but you are a little too confident about yourself (your comments on your LSN account are quite arrogant).  Typically, the most undesirable law school applicants are those who "always wanted to become a lawyer (and never considered anything else)."  Wanting to become a lawyer is not a bad thing, but you should pursue your goal with more flexibility.  I think creativity and versatility are important traits to have as a lawyer, and you do not want to become an attorney who knows only about the law and fails to think any other way.

You say you are open-minded and know exactly what you want.  But you will definitely grow and mature as you get through college, and you will consequently view and understand yourself differently.  At this stage of your life, if you think you're crazy about law and you love it, you probably have no idea what you're getting yourself into.  Taking law courses in HS means nothing.  You need to have more flexibility with your future plans, consider other options, and try to analyze things with a wider perspective.  Then, if you still want to become a lawyer after your senior year of college, it will only show that a legal career is truly for you.  And having various work experiences can only help you, though applying straight out of undergrad is not necessarily a bad thing.  One final advice: you should learn to take criticisms in a positive manner.  Even if you disagree, try to learn something from them.

I really respect your aspiration to become a lawyer, and wish you the best of luck.  Here is another useful thread.  Check it out.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,54867.0.html