Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Memphis vs U of Tenn  (Read 670 times)

noggin

• View Profile
    • Email
Memphis vs U of Tenn
« on: March 24, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »
Does anyone have any info regarding these two schools? I know that Knoxville is ranked much higher, but besides that I have only the info they supply....thanks

abc2103

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Memphis vs U of Tenn
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 08:48:52 PM »
Well as a former Tennessean I felt compelled to answer. My brother went to Memphis and my bestfriend goes to UTK. Here is what I have heard..
UTK- Good school and solid education. Some people get bored because Knoxville is defn. a university town. It is a good size but mostly activities for 20-30 crowd is generated around the college. If you like outdoor activities it is a great place because the Smoky Mountains are very close. My friend likes it but says it is a little conservative for her taste but everyone is generally open and accepting of other people's views. UTK places well in the South,esp. obviously in TN, NC, and GA.
Memphis- Not ranked the highest but boasts the highest bar passage rate for the state even over Vandy. They focus on practical application not so much theory. My brother loved the clinics in particular the pro bono work he did but most of he loved Memphis. The music, rock and jazz, scene in Memphis is fantastic. The city is a very large and also has Rhodes College in addition to a couple of other smaller Christian colleges around it. Nighlife is great... Beale Street for the partiers. I had a friend that liked it because gambling was close. In terms of after school prospects, I am not really sure because my brother and my friend had really good contacts. My brother does corporate real estate law in Naples and Miami and makes tons of freaking money (me very jealous). And my friend who went there worked for some Congressmen before and they hooked him up with a good job in Nashville.

I hope this info helps a bit. Not much other than impressions...take it with a grain of salt.
Attending: Brooklyn

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 09:40:41 PM »
I would take the bar passage rate of Memphis with a grain of salt for it being over Vandy though cause I bet most Vandy law students don't even take the Tennessee bar.
With that said, Memphis is a pretty good school, and well-regarded locally.

abc2103

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:23:09 PM »
Actually my relative is a professor at Vandy and said that a pretty good number of them do...so whatever like I said all of this is second hand info...so I will state again....take it with a grain of salt
Attending: Brooklyn

VolLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 11:35:12 PM »
Memphis is a good school. Especially if you stay in Memphis. Call me shallow but I dont think I could go to school for three years in that building of theirs. It is ghetto. Especially when UT has such a great facility. I am not ruling out UM but I have more concerns about going there than anywhere else. If I went it could be great but could also really suck and I know I would like UT. If I get in Vandy none of this will matter but I doubt it.

noggin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:37:17 AM »
Thanks for the info all...Memphis is definitely a poor facility. I made a quick trip through and was somewhat turned off by it.  But I like that they focus on the practical. I have played many gigs in Memphis (I am a musician) so I have sampled the night life there! (maybe too much)
Honestly, I am hoping for UT even though it may be more conservative (I am a bleeding heart liberal).
Since I plan to do poverty law, it probably doesnt matter much...

I was turned down by Vandy, so that's out

thanks again