Law School Discussion

Phone Call from Harvard... what does it mean?

Phone Call from Harvard... what does it mean?
« on: March 24, 2005, 04:59:52 PM »
I've been complete at Harvard since late November and still haven't received a decision (not even a hold). I just got a voicemail message from Todd Morton, the dean of admissions at HLS, telling me to call back ASAP. I have never heard of Harvard accepting people over the phone, so I'm not sure what to make of this. Does anyone have an idea? Has he called anyone else recently?

PennQuaker

• LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
Re: Phone Call from Harvard... what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 05:16:42 PM »
My friend got one of these today.  I think you are in very, very, very good shape.  In fact, I am in the same exact situation as you (numbers, completion date, no hold) but...no call.

My buddy (3.8/170/HYP) told me that the Director asked him if he were to be admitted how seriously he would consider attending HLS.  They are trying to round out their class is our take and want to pull in a few definite 1Ls.

So, a premature congrats.  I hope to get one of these "urgent" phone calls myself. 

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 05:17:33 PM »
Don't worry, they're not going to call you to personally give you bad news  ;D You're definitely in.

soupnazi

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 05:19:41 PM »
you better call back quick.  they might be playing some cruel game and give a spot to the first 50 people to respond.

:P

Update
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 07:11:47 AM »
Well, I just got off the phone with the Harvard admissions dean. He asked me whether I would definitely attend Harvard if admitted and what other schools I'm considering. We then had a brief interview where he asked me what originally led me to apply to HLS and why it is my first choice. Finally, he said that a decision would come in a week or less. I'm hoping that this means good news is on the way, but I'm reluctant to celebrate yet.

RocketBot

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 05:46:40 AM »
Wow that's some pretty crazy yield protection there hehe.  But I don't think I'd mind the same treatment.

Dolcejn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 06:27:20 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do you all think it's fair for law schools to call up individual applicants and make a decision based on how likely that person is to attend that school?  It's a lot of pressure to put on someone!

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 07:30:51 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do you all think it's fair for law schools to call up individual applicants and make a decision based on how likely that person is to attend that school?  It's a lot of pressure to put on someone!

I do not think it is fair, but they are Harvard and can do pretty much do what you want.

To the OP:  Good luck and it looks like you are already semi admitted

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 07:35:46 AM »
you better call back quick.  they might be playing some cruel game and give a spot to the first 50 people to respond.

:P

Just like the discounts on the Ronco Amazing Electric Food Dehydrator.

LaneSwerver

Re: Update
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 07:36:34 AM »
Well, I just got off the phone with the Harvard admissions dean. He asked me whether I would definitely attend Harvard if admitted and what other schools I'm considering. We then had a brief interview where he asked me what originally led me to apply to HLS and why it is my first choice. Finally, he said that a decision would come in a week or less. I'm hoping that this means good news is on the way, but I'm reluctant to celebrate yet.

So did you commit?