Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Toledo v Mich St. v DePaul... what to do... Long post.. need advice!!  (Read 1234 times)

Comm-Law

• View Profile
Here's my situation...

In at DePaul (commutable..long communte... from my current location) $8K/year scholarship
In at Michigan St. (requires a move to East Lansing area) 25% off tuition + free laptop
In at Toledo (requires a move to Toledo area) Full-tuition scholarship this morning!

Depaul has accepted me into their IP writing and research program... usually guarantees 1L summer paid intership.  They have strong alumni relations in Chicago.  They are ranked T3 but their IP program is ranked 9th nationally.

Michigan St. has a fairly extensive Telecommunications Law program (which is my primary area of interest).  One of the Telecom Law profs worked at the FCC.  The school is located just a few miles away from Lansing (capital of Michigan) and thus would open up opportunities for working with the state's PUC (public utilities commission) or perhaps other telecom related state agencies.  MSU is only ranked T4.

Toledo has a really low-cost-of-living.  The school has some classes in communications law and offers a certificate program in IP.  I don't think there is much of a telecom job market in or around Toledo, so it will be somewhat like studying on an island.  However, UTLAW is ranked T2.

I'm still DEFERRED, ON HOLD, and waiting to hear back from IIT Kent, Case Western, and Catholic University repectively.

Kent is commutable for me... same as DePaul but they have a better overall ranking (T2) but a lower IP ranking.  Kent's building is VERY NICE.

Case would require a move to the Cleveland area.  Their building is VERY NICE and is ranked T2.  Case has several IP classes but sadly, they lack any courses in telecommunications law.

Catholic is in DC.  It would require a move to the DC area (one of the most expensive places in the US to live).  Catholic's building is also VERY NICE and is ranked T2.  Catholic has a specific program in telecommunications law and has stong ties throughout the federal telecom industry.  Catholic requires 2 semesters of unpaid externship and allows one additional semester of paid externship.  Catholic is located very close to a subway stop and so it's easy to work downtown DC while attending Catholic.

So.... here's my take on things:
Best chance of being employed someplace non-telecom: DePaul
Best chance of being employed in Federal Telecom: Catholic
Best chance of being employed in State Telecom: Michigan State
Best chance of being debt free at graduation: Toledo
Best environment for me to learn: Michigan State or Toledo (I think that the long commutes at other schools would be disruptive to my learning and particating)
Most expensive option: Catholic
Best change of being divorced before graduation: Catholic (spouse doesn't like DC)

Any thoughts?  Sorry to dump this much info on list, but seat deposits are due in a week and Toledo threw me a curve-ball with the full tuition offer.  I'm confused and feel a bit rushed to judgement on this decision.

- Comm-Law

Marvin_the_Martian

• View Profile
Re: Toledo v Mich St. v DePaul... what to do... Long post.. need advice!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 01:43:07 PM »
FWIW, I think the two factors you need to keep in mind are:

1) Debt
2) Where you will want to live

I think the emphasis on Telecomm Law is way down the list, becuase you may end up changing your mind about you practice area. And  taking a class or two in the field in law school isn't what will get you the job - one way or the other.

Also, whether their building is nice or not is relevant only if you're willing to go $100k in debt in order to pay for their nice building.

For both of these reasons, I think you should strike Catholic off your list. Unless you really want the divorce, and the debt.

I would also rule out Case, because they didn't offer you any $$$. And you will probably have to relocate again after graduation.

So I think your real debate is between Toldeo and the Chicago schools. You didn't write how much debt you will have if you go to DePaul or Kent. They have an advantage in terms of hiring in Chicago (which is where most of the jobs will be).

IF it was up to me, I'd take the cash on the table (Toledo). And maybe move to Chicago after graduation.
Yes: Nobody. 
No: GMU, GULC. 
Pending: GW, American.            

UGPA: 3.17  LSAT: 161

HighPSI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:10:42 AM »
And  taking a class or two in the field in law school isn't what will get you the job - one way or the other.

Also, whether their building is nice or not is relevant only if you're willing to go $100k in debt in order to pay for their nice building.

For both of these reasons, I think you should strike Catholic off your list. Unless you really want the divorce, and the debt.

You're giving clueless advice on Telecom law.  CUA has the top communications law program for telecom in the country.  Period. Bar none.  In addition to offering more classes in the field, the intro classes like "Becoming a Communications Lawyer", which is a 4 hour externship, is taught by Brian Tramont, Chief of Staff for former commisioner Powell.  FCC Commissioner Abernathy is a CUA Law graduate.  CUA Lawyers are in almost every single office of the FCC.  Over 300 alumni (search for CLI in yahoo groups) create a network that guarantees your choice of summer jobs.  Want to work in BigLaw?  Do a school search @ the top firm, Skadden, and nearly every CUA Lawyer that works there (very few) is from the communications law program.

If it's not a priority for him, you're right, he should skip CUA.  If it's what he wants to do, there is no other school in the country that guarantees success in this particular specality.  Just like Harvard, Yale and other graduates exclude access beyond their crowd, so do CUA/CLI grads in telecom.

happyhenry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 10:01:57 AM »
Answer is obvious: Toledo with a full scholarship!  Congratulations!

Comm-Law

• View Profile
Update.... I'm in at Catholic as of today (March 26th)!!  Now I have to choose:

Catholic with no $$ (yet? anyone know if there are any left?) - Move to area
Toledo with a full ride - Move to area
Michigan State 25%off tuition + free laptop - Move to area
DePaul with $8K/yr - Stay where I am

Decisions ... Decisions.  For all intents and purposes, I'd love to attend Catholic... it's the best option for communications law.  I just have to figure out a way to afford to do it and move my wife and 2 kids to a SAFE/REASONABLE area around DC.

- Comm-Law

P.S. School visits must weigh in decisions.  My decision from Catholic was sent out the day that I visited the school last week!

whostheguy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Staring contest, you and me..now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 02:39:17 PM »
Chicago is a phenomenal place to live. Also, I am going to be working for an IP law firm there this summer. The person who interviewed me for the job, as well as some employees all speak highly of Depauls IP Program. However, it's hard to turn down a full-tuition if money is the big issue.
Good Luck.
LSAT 159 GPA: 3.825

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Decisions ... Decisions.  For all intents and purposes, I'd love to attend Catholic... it's the best option for communications law.  I just have to figure out a way to afford to do it and move my wife and 2 kids to a SAFE/REASONABLE area around DC.

- Comm-Law

There are safe, reasonable places to live with a family around DC.  You just have to be prepared to commute a little bit (whether by car or MARC and/or Metro).  If you would really love to attend Catholic, I think you owe it to yourself and your family to at least pay the first seat deposit to buy yourself time to check out possible living situations. 

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 08:52:46 PM »
Any suggestions regarding suburbs of DC?  what communities have decent/safe public-schools and cost under $300K to live in?  Ideally, I'd like to find a single-family 3-bedroom residence similar to what I currently have (I live about 45 miles southwest of Chicago).  Around here, you can pick up an average home (1800sq-ft 3bd/2ba) starting at $200,000.

I can live with up to an hour/each-way of commute... I'd rather not go up to a 2 hour commute time.  I did 2hr/each-way for 5 years while working in Chicago.  It wasn't any fun.

- Comm-Law

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 09:21:30 PM »
Comm-Law:  First, congrats on all those acceptances and offers!  I'm seriously considering Catholic. 

Re: CUA Scholarships: As far as I know, most of them have already been given out (I got an email 3 weeks ago saying offers would be made a week later.  Got nothing).  I do have high hope that they offered a lot of scholarships to people who will likely choose American or GW over them, so perhaps that money will be redistributed to those who ask?  We can hope!

I believe if I move to DC I'll live in Hyattsville, MD with a friend.  No idea about home prices, though.  I believe the poster rhapsody lives in MD and owns a home.  You might PM her and ask?
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 10:07:50 PM »
Hey Comm-Law,

I live in Howard County, about 13 miles north of the D.C. beltway, and then it's about 10 more miles to get to Catholic.  Home prices are rising pretty fast because of the speculators in the market.  It could be tough to find a single-family 3 bedroom for sub $300K, even where I live, which is a suburb very accessible to both D.C. and Baltimore.  Anne Arundel County would be another good place to look, esp. Severna Park, Millersville, or Crofton.  Probably better chances with older homes.  You would be able to find a 3 bedroom townhouse for under $300K fairly easily, including newer ones.  Also, you might want to consider renting -- I believe the rents are fairly stable (not talking about in the city itself).

- rhapsody