Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How are you choosing if you have multiple concerns (family, career, etc.)?  (Read 1385 times)

calliemae

What process are you going through to decide which LS to attend given the multiple factors that many non-traditional students are faced with?

We are wrestling with things like my husband's career and schooling, family concerns, costs, and the overall disruption to the family (no kids, but would have to sell the house, buy another house, etc.) We could stay where we are which would solve a lot of problems, but I would be turning down offers at much better schools, etc.

You know the drill. Anyhow, would just like to see how you are coming to your decision.

Thanks!

Garbled

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What process are you going through to decide which LS to attend given the multiple factors that many non-traditional students are faced with?

We are wrestling with things like my husband's career and schooling, family concerns, costs, and the overall disruption to the family (no kids, but would have to sell the house, buy another house, etc.) We could stay where we are which would solve a lot of problems, but I would be turning down offers at much better schools, etc.

You know the drill. Anyhow, would just like to see how you are coming to your decision.

Thanks!

If it is what you (and your husband) really want to do then you shouldn't let geography be the limiting factor. If your not sure then don't make the move.

Not starting law school until 2006, but i've already registered a domain name for advertising our condo and will put a sign out early this summer (put pics on a website so it will be easy for people to see). Our condo is right on the ocean and we have a lot of traffic going by, so it will probably sell itself (and we won't have to pay a realtor!). I'll set the price a bit high and if someone buys then the interest on that money will pay rent for a temporary place until we decide on a LS town, and no condo dues/property tax - we will actually make money.

My wife and i are both starting LS in 2006, so we just have to find a town that has schools that meet both of our needs/desires. We know we have to leave where we are, which doesn't have a law school and we have gone as far as we can here. Its a nice place, but getting my MBA here was about the highest i can go educationally, and my career isn't what i want to do long-term (software engineering). We could work here and do fine, but we have aspirations to do more and are willing to move where we have to.

I know i'm kinda rambling, but i'm just showing you what we are considering in moving forward toward a legal career. It won't be easy, but change is exciting...

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Mine was easy - picked the school down the road from where I work.  No relocation, no job change, just turn left out of the parking lot instead of right.

Of course to set all that up, I took a pay cut, lost money on the house, and relocated to bigger city 3 years ago with the intent of doing something else.  It just took me 2 years to figure out it was law school.

DOCLAW

• View Profile
Married with a 1 year old and career, I feel you pain.  But I like to make things as simplistic as possible. 
1. I only applied to schools that were in commuting distance.
2. Part-time (I am self employed so I can juggle my schedule as needed).
3. The two in state schools are my first choices (Want to be able to pay cash for school-already have lots of student loans).  Currently accepted to one and WL at the other.

ccorsi

I have a very good paying job and I am well thought of within my company - so that limited where I applied since I have a wife, daughter, and house as well.

I applied only to schools in a reasonable commuting distance < 60 miles.

However, as a safety measure I did apply to one school that is located where our corporate headquarters in the US is.

So, geography played an important role in my decision, but I do live in an area that has a lot of choices in terms of law schools which helped made it a bit easier.

Good luck.

C2

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
  • My four babies and my reason for everything!
    • View Profile
I know how hard it is too decide.... For me with four children(5 years and under), I only applied to local schools with part time programs.... They are third and fourth tier but I am fine with that....If I can go to law school and stay at home with my kids until they all enter Kindergarten.... I think it would be the best of both worlds. Good luck to you!!! I am sure you'll make the right decision:)
Stats:  Berkeley GPA 3.53(3.54), LSAT 156
Attending:  Golden Gate(p/t)
Ding: Santa Clara University

Presumptive Decline

• View Profile
I'm probably a little crazy, but I'm just doing it.  My wife stays home with the children (2) and we're just all picking up and moving.

It would be much more difficult if she had a career too.  On the other hand, a significant factor for me is how well I think that family will adjust to the new environment.  I turned down a "higher ranked" school because I didn't like the "vibe" I got about families.  The school I decided to attend is much more family friendly.

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
This was an issue I considered when choosing which schools to apply to.  I had to consider the cost of living in possible new cities as well as job opportunities for my husband.  With 3 kids I worried about schools and daycare.  I ended up applying to 7 schools, and all but one of them would have required a move.  I was accepted at 3 schools (and 1 waitlist, 2 rejections, 1 still pending).  In the end, though, I was accepted to ASU, which is about a 45 minute commute, so I won't even have to move to go. 

My husband and kids were ready to move if we had to in order for me to attend LS.  The support at home made the process easier, since I knew we could make it work no matter where I was accepted.  Open discussions with my husband throughout the process kept us from forgetting the importance of balancing all of our family's needs. 

I can't say that location was the sole motivator for me in deciding on ASU (although it is certainly way up there on my list).  I was fortunate that my local school is also the best of the schools I was accepted to and it offers many great opportunities for externships and clinics.  If my local school had been the worst of all my acceptances, I might have ended up moving anyway.  So I can understand not wanting to turn down a better school for one that you aren't as excited about. 

Location is very important because of the family's concerns, but other factors about the school should also be weighed.  Does the school offer the programs you are looking for?  What are the employment possibilities when you are done?  What is the bar passage rate?  All of these things are important considerations. 

For a married student, the decision is one which should be discussed openly with your spouse, because it will impact obth of you.  It is very important that your final choice is what works best for your whole family.  If you have a local school that is a possibility, I wouldn't rule it out unless it is terrible, there is an awesome school somewhere else, AND your spouse can relocate there without too much difficulty in finding a new job.  There is a lot to be said for stability! 

I think in the end, though, choosing the right school is a highly personal decision that cannot easily be made through online message boards.  What is right for one person is not likely to be the best choice for someone else.

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
There are many factors that I am doing now to decide for law school.  I am married with two children.  My wife stays home and takes care of the children.  I have a good job and it is hard. 

Location is important to me.  I was accepted to a school within walking distance of my current job.  I was waitlisted at a school that is ten minutes from my house.  I would much rather go to the school closer to home after visiting both schools. 

There is going to be alot of sacrifice.  Time that I would normally get to spend with my children will be lost and the limited time that I have will be important.  Work - I am a paralegal that currently works a ton of hours.  Not easy to reshift at work and still trying to resolve how to make it work going forward.

I will be going part time night program.  I am nervous like many of the people in similar positions.  It is a very personal decision as to type of law school and environment of school.  I am hoping tha things do work out so I can go in September. 

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
The following factors were really big:

1) Job market for fiancee (makes up for the high tuition somewhat)
2) Safety of community (for da kid)
3) Overall community (beach right down the road)
4) Family nearby (always able to help watch kids and have dinners, etc.)

Most of my choices were pretty similar as far as ranking, career options, etc.  So we just went to the prettiest place we could think of.  I figure that will help make up for the lack of time I will be spending with my family.  They can at least have something nice to do while I am studying.
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"