Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will numbers do it alone?  (Read 1499 times)

bloomich

Will numbers do it alone?
« on: March 24, 2005, 01:41:16 AM »
yep

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Will numbers do it alone?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 01:44:21 AM »
Unless you have a severe criminal history or write your PS in crayon, I don't think a 4.09 with a 175 would get rejected anywhere.

Do you typically score well on standardized tests? Take a few practice tests before you get your heart set on a 175 LSAT. They're very tough to come by. Good luck!

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 01:47:52 AM »
dinged at boalt, in at harvard.

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 01:49:11 AM »
From what I've observed, 4.0/175+ seems to pretty much clinch an an acceptance at any of the top schools besides Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.  For those, numbers alone won't guarantee an acceptance.

Of course, there's always the chance with any school that they won't like your personal statement, or your LOR's weren't impressive enough, but given enough applications, those numbers are pretty much bound to guarantee admission to at least a few of the top-14.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 03:56:34 AM »
4+/173+ with no EC or WE = in at harvard, in at stanford, probably dinged at yale. if you can live with harvard or stanford, you will be fine.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:31:14 AM »
dinged at boalt, in at harvard.

Yale and Stanford are also iffy, as they care "about the whole person." Columbia, Chicago, and everything below (except maybe Mich) should be a good deal.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 10:47:45 AM »
my guess is that you'll be a shoo-in at H, Columbia, NYU, Virginia, Northwestern, GULC, Cornell, and Boalt.  Yale and Stanford are not certain, but your chances are pretty good.  You may get yield-protected at Penn, Chicago and Michigan, unless, of course, you explicitly express a compelling reason for why you would want to specifically attend any of these schools.  The higher above 175 your score, the more this will hold true, in my opinion.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 11:02:42 AM »
understand that i have little basis for saying this other than what i've seen and the information i've gathered from other applicants, as well as from adcomms.  but for the more "scholarly" schools, (i.e. yale, stanford, harvard, etc.) the more scholarly option (thesis) will be favored over the more professional option (masters in accounting).

BC 3L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 11:05:02 AM »
this has to be the lamest post i've ever encountered here (assuming that it isn't flame).  if you are smart enough have a 4.0+ and score in the 99.X+ percentile on the lsat, you should know that you will easilly get into the t-14.

i call flame...if you have already taken practice exams and found this board, then you have to know about the USNEWS rankings (you even used the t-14 term).  further, you must have seen the medians or 25/75 numbers. 

maybe you just want to be congratulated on such impressive numbers.

bloomich

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 01:31:48 PM »
this has to be the lamest post i've ever encountered here (assuming that it isn't flame).  if you are smart enough have a 4.0+ and score in the 99.X+ percentile on the lsat, you should know that you will easilly get into the t-14.

i call flame...if you have already taken practice exams and found this board, then you have to know about the USNEWS rankings (you even used the t-14 term).  further, you must have seen the medians or 25/75 numbers. 

maybe you just want to be congratulated on such impressive numbers.

Not in the slightest.  This post deals with my most prescient and earnest concerns.  I am fairly confident in what my final GPA and LSAT will be.  I want to know if this is enough to get into the top 14 with other factors considered average.  Since I still have time, I want to know which paths will optimize my candidacy so I can use such information in making decisions.  I am by no means feigning ignorance; certainly I have looked much into the whole law school application process.  And after doing such, I still have certain concerns, which I hope to assuage per this post.