Law School Discussion

Progressive Van Lines

Progressive Van Lines
« on: March 23, 2005, 09:41:21 PM »
Has anyone heard of them (they're a moving company)? They all seemed fine and great with good references, good customer service, and good prices . . . until I looked them up on the BBB and found a rating of "Unsatisfactory".

Anyone have any other recommendations?

bobo21

Re: Progressive Van Lines
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 10:00:58 PM »
Someone mentioned movex.com.  I thought it was a bit pricey...

strouse

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 07:20:11 PM »
ever try do it yourself?  I heard they're real cheap. 

Xony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 07:38:19 PM »
United Van Lines came over the other day to give me a quote...it was out of this world!  No way I'm moving for what they are asking.

Has anyone found a good cheap co?

mchek

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 07:41:30 PM »
I've been looking into moving pods. Basically they drop a truck off at your house, you pack it and then they deliver it to your new house, you unpack it and then they pick it up. After you factor gas it is about the same as a rental truck but you don't have to deal with driving it and can be a bit more leisure with your time. I have to do more research but it seems like a good deal, especially if you are moving across the country.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:48:17 PM »
I ended up going to 123moving.com or 123move.com and typed in where I was going and from where. I ended up with a wide range of quotes I'm going to be calling tomorrow.

I would prefer movers because my SO doesn't like car trips and isn't used to driving (he's a fulltime motorcyclist) so it would be more convenient. Also, the idea of driving across the hottest states in the height of summer just isn't that appealing to me. Finally, it is only about a $200 difference for someone to move my crap and ship my car than to do it myself. $200 is worth it.

Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 11:32:44 PM »
I also looked into some companies where you pack it and they drive it, and was surprised to find that the cost was fairly similar to renting a truck for the move.  I imagine that this is only true if you're moving a long ways.  I was dreading having to drive a uhaul across the country, so I'm happy to pay a little extra to have someone else make the drive.

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 03:19:13 AM »
having moved 6 or 7 times (I lost track) I do not think you will find any moving company with a good rating.  The big companies all hire local firms to do the pack and load.  I could go on, but suffice to say the local firms tend to have one guy responsible, then he pays his crew whom he recruits and they usually are not the most reliable.

IMO, if you don't have that much stuff, get some boxes and packing paper and pack youself.  Buy a couple of your friends pizza and beer to do the loading and rent a truck and hit the road.  You'll save money and hassle in the long run.

bobo21

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 09:20:15 AM »
Has anyone found a cheap "pod" place?  I have looked at several, and quotes range from $1,900 to over $5,000 to move from the Bay Area to the Midwest.  I really don't want to rent a u-haul or hitch a trailer to my car because I wanted to take my time, make a roadtrip of the move and see america over several weeks.

Maybe I'll just box stuff and send it via UPS and pack the rest in the SUV.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 11:34:34 AM »
www.movingscam.com

Check it out. Never EVER EVER EVER EVER go with a company that charges by the cubic foot. They all appear to be scams and you will never get your stuff unless you pay a fortune above what they quote you.

When I moved from California to Connecticut, we went with Global, and they were great.