• View Profile
    • info
richmond...where do students typically live
« on: March 23, 2005, 02:51:06 PM »
??

grad

Re: richmond...where do students typically live
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 03:18:30 PM »
I'd say in apartments starting at the University and heading west.  I live out in the "West End" which is considered the nicer area of Richmond, and it's really close to the campus.  You'll hear people mention the "Southside" which is also a good place to live, but you have to deal with getting accross the James River which can be a pain with traffic and the tolls.  Downtown or the FAN area is also good if you are looking for more Urban areas with bars close by.  If you go to www.apartmentguide.com you can search a bunch of apartments by region (check Downtown, Southside, and West End in the advanced search option)  There is also an option to search for places near the campus itself, but I found this option doesn't include all the apartments.  You can then go to www.apartmentratings.com to see what people who have lived in certain complexes think of them.  I've lived in a few places here in Richmond so if you have questions about a certain area or specific complex I can try to answer it.  As far as rent, you can expect to pay for a 1 bedroom starting at about 550 for the basic to 850 or so for the luxury.  Hopefully this answered your question, if not let me know and I'll try to elaborate more. 

sarendipity

• My law school roommate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - froggerlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 04:04:25 PM »
I live on southside and it takes 10 or 15 minutes to get to UR. It really is not a hassle.  ;D The area in Henrico (west end) where UR actually is is probably a bit pricier, especially near River Road and the actual university. Don't discount southside/midlothian.

grad

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 04:13:27 PM »
Where abouts on the Southside?  I've been looking at a few townhouses out there, but I'm not sure which areas are good, which are not so good.  Most of the places were off Forest hill Ave.

sarendipity

• My law school roommate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 04:19:30 PM »
Well Forest Hill Ave doesn't tell me a whole lot bc that road is incredibly long. I can tell you I live in the 23113 zip code and from there it takes me 15 min to get to UR (not speeding at all). Forest Hill Ave puts you 5 or 10 min closer to the school esp if you look at the stony point APTS. They are nice, tucked behind a little upscale strip with grocery/pharmacy/eclectic shops and the best pizza anywhere. I don't live in an apt so I don't really have alot of specifics off the top of my head, but if you name the complex I'd be more than happy to give you an idea of what the place is like (safety, outward appearance, locale) My sis recently got an APT and looked at tons in the area, we also did the same thing hunting for a place for my grandma. Let me know if I can help.

grad

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 04:32:56 PM »
Yeah, I'm noticing now how long Forest Hill is, sorry about that.  The ones I was looking at online were:
Village South Apartments
St. Johns Wood
Glenway Green
Chesterfield Village
Chippenham Townhomes
Aden Park
South Slope
Chateau De Ville
Online they looked alright, but as I learned from looking at apartments when I first moved here 1.5 years ago, online and real life are VERY different. 

Are you considering UR?

sarendipity

• My law school roommate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 05:24:59 PM »
I haven't actually gotten a decision from UR yet, but yes, I'd go there if accepted. My mom isn't in the best of help and it would allow me to continue to help her and still attend law school.

Honestly, my dad lived in st. john's about 30 years ago. It was ok then, but scary place now. I think you are looking on the wrong end of Forest Hill....those places are near Huguenot High where they have to have a bunch of cops at all sporting events and have them during daylight to prevent shootings. I am not brave/crazy enough to live over there.

grad

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 05:51:56 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  Hopefully it'll all work out for you.

Thanks for the input on that area.  I was wondering about the crime in that area, I guess I'll look for different places. 

sarendipity

• My law school roommate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 06:21:56 PM »
I'm not sure what your price range is....some nice places near me are

trophy club at bellegrade, old buckingham station, stony point like i said before (the least of these in cost) birchwood at boulders (not as convenient,but nice)

anyway, my computer is being really slow so I cannot search more right now.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 06:19:04 AM »
Tagging this thread. I grew up in the West End of Richmond, but I left for California in 1994 (where I spent 8 years before moving to Connecticut in 2002). I would be happy to try and answer any questions about the West End area, but it's been a long time since I lived there.