Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Does Denver have any cons besides the regional factor?

thoughts
 1 (50%)
thoughts
 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Lets talk about Denver  (Read 2727 times)

jddc

• View Profile
Re: Lets talk about Denver
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 11:34:07 PM »
april 15.

golfman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2005, 11:38:46 PM »
what wer ur numbers jddc??

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2005, 11:51:48 PM »
jddc-

Did you make it to the Open House on Thursday?  I know they made mention of the July bar passage rate dropping to 65% or something, so that might have a little to do with the rankings drop.  I can't recall what the passage rate was listed as in the 2005 US News rankings.

Are you looking at a particular degree program at Denver?
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

jddc

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2005, 11:55:19 PM »
No I couldn't make it. Its down to 65%...!! thats pretty bad. That is def. a good reason for the drop. Have you visited?

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2005, 12:40:24 AM »
I was there on Thursday.  The law building is VERY nice, so that's a plus.  The students on the panel were all really happy with Denver, although it was mentioned that it is hard to get a payed internship as a 1L during the summer.  Denver also has many faculty members that work at firms in addition to teaching, so that could help when it comes to looking for jobs or interships.  I've heard great things about the city of Denver too, although I was only there for the day and didn't really do anything other than visit the school.

If you are looking for pratical experience, I don't think that Denver can be beat.  They have great clinics and internship programs for 2L and 3L students.  This is one of the factors that is keeping me interested along with the scholarship.

On to the negatives.  Fairly large class sizes.  I didn't really get the community feeling I was hoping for when I visited; the school sort of felt big and impersonal.

Denver seems to be a very regional school and there really seemed to be a lot of hate directed at CU every time it was mentioned.  I'm a little nervous about going against Boulder grads in the Colorado legal market.

The admissions staff didn't impress me either.  I know that I shouldn't judge the entire law school by the admissions people (or I should say those I met), but they didn't go out of their way to make sure my visit was a good experience and it really wasn't that great as a result. I arrived about 4 hours before the Open House started, and although they knew that this was happening (I emailed and received a response), they didn't respond to any of my later emails or calls about trying to get meetings and tours set up...I basically had to do everything myself once I got there.  They also didn't sell the law school as their own.  On the tour it was, "I've heard the career center does a good job with placing students," rather than, "Our career center does an excellent job placing students."

With all of that being said, I think I'm acutally leaning towards the University of Oregon now.  After seeing how much Denver fell in the rankings, I'm sort of nervous about what their reputation will be in 3 years.  My opinion could change by tomorrow morning, but that's where I'm at right now.

If anyone has anything additional to share, it would be greatly appreciated.  Was anyone else at the Open House that had a different experience?

Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2005, 03:56:51 AM »
I was also shocked by the drop in ranking, except the bar passage rate might explain it.
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder

krammer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2005, 11:02:24 AM »
With regard to Denver as a city, I moved here 5 years ago from the NYC area. 

Pros: laid back, beautiful, lots of activities, and great if you enjoy biking, running, ski/snowboarding.  Also, I saw some mention of traffic.  Not sure if the poster has ever experienced east coast city traffic...it's usually not that bad and you can plan travel around bad times.

Cons: None of the services, shopping, galleries, food, etc can compare with east coast cities....maybe DC...my friends who live there say things kind of suck there too...

Anyway, if you want a change and sun ~300 days a year...give it a shot.  FYI - it is not cold and snowy all winter in Denver...all my friends back east think it is!