Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra in New York?  (Read 1413 times)

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hofstra in New York?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 12:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the insight! :) I dont care where I work in NY as long as i'm able to find a decent paying job, so i'd be able to pay all that loan money back!  :)
Do you have any idea what the average starting salary is for those grads choosing to work on Long Island?
HUSL 1L

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 12:30:15 PM »
Also, does anyone know if there's a large hospital/medical system near Hofstra on Long Island? odd question i know, but its important for my SO. Could anyone tell me what nice hotels are near the campus? I still need to make reservations for the april 10th reception. Thanks  :D
HUSL 1L

NoVa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 01:20:05 PM »
Also, does anyone know if there's a large hospital/medical system near Hofstra on Long Island? odd question i know, but its important for my SO. Could anyone tell me what nice hotels are near the campus? I still need to make reservations for the april 10th reception. Thanks  :D

The only medical system I know of in that area is the Nassau University Medical Center.  It is very close to Hofstra, but I know absolutely nothing about it. 

I'm getting maried in the area this summer (my fiancee is from the area), and our reception is about .5 mile from Hofstra's campus- so I can actually add input on the hotels.  The nicer hotels nearby are the Marriott Long Island Conference Center and the Wingate Inn (Garden City).  There is a Red Roof Inn near the campus, it's pretty new and clean, but it's no great shakes.  There's also a Holiday Inn not too far away.  Use Orbitz, et al. to find the best prices.
3.32, 160
4 years experience as a patent examiner
Attending: American
Accept: UMD, Catholic
WL: GMU
Reject:GULC, GWU

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 07:18:14 PM »
cool thanks!  :)
HUSL 1L

dl1917

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 03:24:30 AM »
I'm a third year at hofstra and maybe I can help with a few bits of information. I didn't have a tough time getting an intership during the summers or during the school year. I'd say it's a bit better than maybe Pace and NYLS, but in the end, I think all in the middle tiers are kinda lumped together, this includes brooklyn, cardozo and st. johns. As long as you do well or interview well, you shouldn't have a problem against these schools. Hofstra places well in long island and does ok in the city. You've got to be proactive in finding a job out there, but it can be done. I did a Fall internship with the New York Attorney General's Office. I should mention i'm an average student in terms of both grades and rank. The job market in NY in general is hard if you don't go to NYU or Columbia. I know people at all other schools that are having a tough time finding one. Usually people at the top of the class get jobs that pay well right out of school and then there are those that got jobs due to internships and connections. The rest of the class will generally get jobs after they pass the bar. The process I mentioned is pretty standard for middle tier schools especially in a tight market like NY. We just got a new dean who will start soon and as for the building, it's kind of old, but I have heard that there are plans to build a new one sometime soon. The commute from the city is hard and long. Depending on where you live, it can take over an hour. Some people do it and they comment that it isn't easy, but can be done, they just schedule all their 2nd and 3rd year classes on three days for less commute. You'll probably want to come in from Hempstead or Mineola train station, hofstra has a shuttle that takes people to the school or you can take a bus. It's like another 10-15 minute ride. As far as housing, Hempstead sucks, not really safe. A lot of people live in graudate law dorms. I personally live in Mineola, just a few minutes north. Most people live somewhere north of Hempstead or rent a house right by the school. North of Hempstead is a much nicer place to live, it's safe, but a bit pricey. The rest of the students commute from all over. People just prefer to live wherever so there's really no limit to living in brooklyn or queens if you don't care about the commute. During regular school days, parking is nasty, but there are back roads where you can park and walk like 10 minutes. As far as grading, the average is like a B or 3.0 average. It's pretty hard to get lower than that if you study so if your scholarship requires a 3.0 as long as you read and do your work, it shouldn't be a problem. Regarding night life, there are some local bars such as bogart that are right by the school and victory located in garden city and some clubs like posh in garden city hotel and mirage. I've never gone, I prefer to spend money out in the city. Hope this helps.

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 06:42:06 PM »
I know this post is a couple months old, but that was a great response from the 3L student.  Thank you.  Please check out the Hofstra thread on the student and graduate board.  We need you!

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 07:50:32 PM »
My mother's friend teaches at Hofstra Law and according to him - it is a great environment.  The student/faculty are supportive and it doesn't have that unhealthy environment that many of the top schools have.

Best of luck to everyone who attends there.

schnorer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 11:22:59 PM »
thanks for all that information. its been very helpful.
I also heard about this new dean thyre getting in and hes a very accomplished person with a very reputable history. Supposedly hes revamping that place and i heard hes already spent millions of dollars doing so. So lets hope that by the time we graduate in 2008 it will be a tier 2 school.

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 06:38:38 AM »
This whole tier system is so weird.  Maybe I don't understand it, because I thought it was a tier two, at the very bottom of tier two, but a tier two none the less. 

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 07:53:55 AM »
this year it is. last year it was a tier 3. Its one of those schools that moves up and down from year to year.