Law School Discussion

Is Harlem a great place to live?

Re: Is Harlem a great place to live?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 09:03:25 AM »
I go to grad school at Columbia and I live in Harlem...I love it. Columbia's main campus runs to 125 between Amsterdam and Broadway so you are literally right in the middle...near the school of international and public affairs. And actually you would not take the A train as previusly stated...you would take the 1 and 9 to Cardozo. It is about 20-25 minutes depending upon how long it takes the train to get to you. Morningside Heights (area around Columbia) is just as safe as any other part of town...cute restaurants that students go to...Most people choose to live here that go to Columbia. Good luck

wongsb

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 09:04:59 AM »

Right, this is definitely true of certain parts of Harlem, but I'm just going to point out again that it's not like that at 119th and Amsterdam.

I know, I know the Columbia area.. I just wanted to tell my Harlem story  :P, not that it was even much of a story, but you know what I mean. 

LaneSwerver

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2005, 09:05:22 AM »
And actually you would not take the A train as previusly stated...

I only said it because Ella Fitzgerald did. I guess she was wrong...

tame

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2005, 09:11:01 AM »

Right, this is definitely true of certain parts of Harlem, but I'm just going to point out again that it's not like that at 119th and Amsterdam.

I know, I know the Columbia area.. I just wanted to tell my Harlem story :P, not that it was even much of a story, but you know what I mean.

No, it was a good story!  :)  I just wanted to make sure she knew that her neighborhood wouldn't be like that.

Butch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2005, 09:11:40 AM »
That area of Harlem is NOT that bad. In fact, Harlem has been very gentrified... I dont think that block is bad. It's basically Morningside Heights, which is nice. Very nice.

I've lived in Park Slope and it's expensive...and Brooklyn Heights is *more* expensive.  A studio in Park Slope will be $1000-1200 (and small) and a 1 bedroom will be $1500-1800.

Also, Park Slope has the F train, which is the kiss of death. As much as I LOVE Park Slope...I dont know if I'd live there again b/c of the damned F Train (F = screwed!).

Choose a neighborhood that's off of the 4/5 Q/W or 2/3 Train.

Boerum Hill can be nice. It's literally a 10-15 min walk to 7th Ave, the heart of Park Slope and you can also walk to Bklyn Heights. Some parts are not as nice looking but I lived on a pretyt "ghetto" block for 4 yrs and never was harmed or scared.  But other parts are super nice and the best part is that it's right by the Atlantic/Pacific Ave train hub in Bklyn. You can catch the 2/3/4/5/6/N/R/W/M/J trains there. You can't get better transportation and you can get to Cardozo in like 15-20 mins.

Prospect Heights is another top choice. It's by the 2/3 or the D/Q trains and is right by Park Slope and the park.  That's probably where I'd choose to live.