Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ANYONE going to Indiana u-INDY?  (Read 871 times)

wuo

• View Profile
ANYONE going to Indiana u-INDY?
« on: March 23, 2005, 12:30:49 AM »
Hello everyone!
How come NOONE talks about indiana u-indianapolis? i obviously realize that bloomington is a better school, but it is ridiculous that no one seems to want to go to indianapolis. This is the only school i got into so far...other than my two wait lists at UND and UW-madison, which dont really count. So i think i will end up at indiana u-indianapolis. IS anyone else going?! please leave a msg!!!!!

bradzwest

Re: ANYONE going to Indiana u-INDY?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 12:36:38 AM »
thread somewhere about IU Indy part-time...Paperback Writer I believe

jnicoleut

• AOL Instant Messenger - jnicoleut
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 03:31:41 PM »
I'm looking at the school and will be visiting next week. I'm from Bloomington acutally, but the consensus among the lawyers and judges I've spoken to here is that Bloomington gives you the ranking and more range for job opportunities, but IU-Indy teaches more about actually practicing law in the real world and has a hold on the Indy market. I'm excited to visit new-ish facility at Indy, sounds nice!
"I've seen enough to feel the world spin." -Jimmy Buffett

AirIllini05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:15:26 PM »
Indy has a solid program with an impressive facility, and ditto the earlier comments. I'm headed there in the fall.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:50:02 AM »
well I applied there and haven't heard back yet. so i dont quite know if i'll be attending or not. I've heard really good things regarding the law school though. :)
HUSL 1L

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 05:56:55 AM »
I start PT at IU-Indy in August (8/24/05 but who's couting)  Other thoughts, IU-Indy is the largest law school in the state with some 850 students.  School started in 1894 but did not become part of IU until 1944.  It shares the campus with IU/Purdue Univesity Indianapolis (IUPUI) which has some 28K students.  The law school has two day sections and one evening section of about 100 each.  Stats, tuition, etc. canbe easily found at

http://indylaw.indiana.edu/

For 2003, Avg salary of 112/217 grads was 55K ranged from 100K+ to 35K.  The Dean just quit so there's a search going on for a new one.  The last Dean (Tarr) appeared to be pushing the school to grow in programs / areas offered.  Let us hope the next one will continue. 

One huge advantage IU-Indy offers is that it is located in the state capital, across the street from the capital building.  It is the only law school in town so students have a real advantage in getting involved with the government and the big firms in town. 

The law building is about 3 years old.  Classrooms are pretty plush, very roomy.  Every seat wired for broadband and power.  Wireless throughout the building, but I'm told it's crowded and tough to hold a connection.  There's Ethernet ports everywhere you look so this seems like a moot point.  Library is nice, study room looks a bit small for 800 students but the main campus library is nearby so maybe theres better space there.

IU-I pushes their International Law program and offers a lot of overseas study.  Again, hit their website.

IMHO, IU-I is on the way up if they get in a good replacement Dean.  There's talk of expanding the campus, but land is at a premium so this problably won't happen by the time I graduate.  IU-B appears to have suffered some in the last several years, but is still a T1 school with a good reputation in the Midwest.  Last ranking for IU-I was 63, but new results come out 4/1 so I am waiting to see if they move.

Personally, I like Indy, but it could be a bit warmer, sunnier, and closer to the ocean (as could EVERYWHERE in the midwest!).  COL is pretty cheap when you look at housing.  It is very easy to get in and around the city, traffic never seems that bad and no parking lot interstates like Chicago.  Northwest corner can backup though with all the people going towards I-69.  Downtown has been drastically improved in the last 15 years.  Canal area around campus is nice, near home of NCAA and a couple museums.  AAA baseball, NBA, NFL, and some small league hockey are all in town.  Indy can pull major concerts between indoor and outdoor venues.  Then there is racing of course - IRL, F1, NASCAR, and NHRA, take your pick.

For 2003 graduates, 61% ended up in Indy, 23% elsewhere in Indiana so you better be comfortable in the state and the city before you start.

Other questions?

Tuition for instate is pretty cheap and will end up only about $45K for me by the time  it is all done.

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 09:22:43 AM »
I would certainly like to go there.....now if only they would take me...or at least reject me...something :(.  Anxiously waiting :)

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:02:38 PM »
Does anyone know if you're out of state it is easy to obtain in state status for tution purposes?
HUSL 1L

wuo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 03:49:05 PM »
thanks everyone for responding. Please aim me at hang00kahkdong if u guys have time for those who plan to attend in the fall 05 (i.e. anonymousone). for cam108- i heard that indiana is one of the hardest states to get in state status for tuition purposes. but im not sure if thats for sure for sure. i plan to call the people there. Also, does everyone out of state receive the out of state award? i got 2000 but i heard some pplz get 6000. IS this based on grades?

AirIllini05

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 04:20:29 PM »
FYI, from what I've heard it takes one year to gain residency in Indiana, and the out of state $$$ amount is the third different amount I've seen.
-formerly anonymousone