Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA differ by region?  (Read 958 times)

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
AA differ by region?
« on: March 22, 2005, 05:46:11 PM »
Do you suppose that different minorities are viewed differently in different parts of the country?
Do you suppose that it would be possible to say the word "different" more times in one sentence?
For example, do you think a hispanic applicant would be more favored in the Northeast than in CA (obviously only speaking of private schools there) because there are a lot of hispanics in CA?
3.7/165.  How crazy to finally have real stats...

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: AA differ by region?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 10:25:51 AM »
Yeah, I could see that. UT, for example, has the largest hispanic law student population in the country, I believe, which isn't surprising coming from Texas. AA policies there would probably be different than, say, UVa, who I hear has problems trying to draw hispanics into Virginia. Likewise, some schools in the South and MidWest try to draw Asians to their schools (possibly using AA), which probably doesn't happen in Cali schools.

To top it off, I've noticed that Cali schools tend to make a distinction when it comes to Hispanics. SLS, for example, has separate boxes for people of Spanish, South American, Mexican, etc. origins. I think I saw something similar in Boalt's forms, but haven't seen that distinction anywhere outside of California.   

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: AA differ by region?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 06:03:54 PM »
Well that sort of begs the question of which of those seperate categories would be viewed most favorably, doesn't it?
3.7/165.  How crazy to finally have real stats...