Law School Discussion

Potential LOR from someone who has a connection

BAFF213

Re: Potential LOR from someone who has a connection
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2005, 10:17:24 PM »
I'm planning on retaking in June, but I want to go straight in from undergraduate (if I don't get in where I want, then I'll retake).  I sort of hastily took the LSAT, since I want to go straight in.  I probably would have got a better score if I had waited longer and studied more.

Race is one thing, some people have had to pull themselves out of hard situations in life.  And not to mention, race is a factor due to the over 300 years of subjugation some members of our society had to endure.  In your case, you have a 155 on your LSAT.  You are a white American who decided to choke on one of the biggest tests of your academic life.  Why don't you try retaking the LSAT and working your way into a top law school.   

Franz

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005, 10:19:19 PM »
hastily? you were studying for months.  ???

I'm planning on retaking in June, but I want to go straight in from undergraduate (if I don't get in where I want, then I'll retake).  I sort of hastily took the LSAT, since I want to go straight in.  I probably would have got a better score if I had waited longer and studied more.

Race is one thing, some people have had to pull themselves out of hard situations in life.  And not to mention, race is a factor due to the over 300 years of subjugation some members of our society had to endure.  In your case, you have a 155 on your LSAT.  You are a white American who decided to choke on one of the biggest tests of your academic life.  Why don't you try retaking the LSAT and working your way into a top law school.   

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 06:22:31 AM »
Oh cut the kid some slack.  Seriously, everyone uses connections they have in one form or another.  HOWEVER, I would NOT use someone who doesn't know you well. 

In regards to the URM discussion, a connection may be aware that an individual, regardless of race, has overcome obstacles to succeed - whether it be poverty, familial illness,  etc.  URMs don't have exclusivity when it comes to overcoming obstacles. 

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 07:37:42 AM »
Those of you saying it's sleazy...well, I hope you never plan on networking.

Why, you ask?  Well, when you network, you introduce yourself and get to know (generally in a somewhat limited way) people in places that could help you.  When you need a job, you hope that you've made contacts.  You give someone a call, and ask if they can help you.

That's what BAFF's doing.  There's someone who could potentially help him, so he's going out of his way to meet him and to see if he can get a little help.

Essentially saying that networking is sleazy....well, i'm sorry, but you have a very poor grasp of the business and legal fields, and you should get a better idea of what you're getting into.  If you're not good at or don't like networking, you're going to have a very, very hard time as an attorney.

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 07:45:48 AM »
Absolutely, I can't believe people are calling him or his actions sleazy.  Never worked in a corporate environment, eh? 

Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 07:51:06 AM »

Why, you ask?  Well, when you network, you introduce yourself and get to know (generally in a somewhat limited way) people in places that could help you.  When you need a job, you hope that you've made contacts.  You give someone a call, and ask if they can help you.

That's what BAFF's doing.  There's someone who could potentially help him, so he's going out of his way to meet him and to see if he can get a little help.

Essentially saying that networking is sleazy....well, i'm sorry, but you have a very poor grasp of the business and legal fields, and you should get a better idea of what you're getting into.  If you're not good at or don't like networking, you're going to have a very, very hard time as an attorney.

I agree with Jacy as well.

BAFF213

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 09:55:06 AM »
I know, but I think it was relatively hastily because I wasn't ready.  I know I could have scored at least a 160, I messed up on test day though.

hastily? you were studying for months.  ???

BAFF213

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 10:02:13 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself - thanks for defending me Jacy.

Actually, at first, I was really nervous about approaching him.  I have known about this potential connection for months, but I was too apprehensive to do it.  And I am generally a very outgoing person!  I kept walking by him on campus and I knew that he was very outgoing as well, so I figured it wouldn't be that hard to approach him, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

Finally, yesterday, I walked by him again as he ate lunch, then I stood there for at least a minute (out of his view) contemplating whether or not to approach him or not - I really didn't feel comfortable doing it.  I realized that now, if ever, was the time to do it.  I did it, and it worked out really well - I have a meeting with him sometime next week.

It wasn't like it was this "sleazy" move - it wasn't even my idea actually.  A girl I know (who is applying to Harvard Law next year and whose fiance is an adjunct prof. there) suggested that I do it awhile ago.

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 10:12:15 AM »
 I love how moral and right some people on this thread calling you sleazy....it is ridiclous.  Maybe then we should even the playing field totally.  Stop all LSAT preperation, stop LORs totally.

Anyone who doesnt use every advantage possible, will surely fail in law school, and most likely in life.

To think that a cardinal rule is to not use a LOR from a big wig you dont know is also ridiculous.  These guys use their position of power every year to help SOMEBODY out.  Hopefully this year, it will be YOU. 

Dude, dont worry about it.  Of course you should ask him. 

OK - I recently got wait listed at one of my top choice schools.  Also, I met a high-level administrative official at my school today, who supposedly has a connection at the school at which I got wait listed.  It was really awkward when I approached him, because I didn't want to explicitly ask him to put a word in, since I don't even know him, yet I wanted to work the connection at the same time.  It ended up working out well and his parting words were, "Well if you want me to put in a word anywhere or write a letter of recommendation for you, let me know."  He didn't state explicitly that he has a connection at that school, however (I'm going to double-check with the person that told me had has the connection).

I'm thinking I should email him and arrange a meeting with him.  I don't know if I should ask for a letter of recommendation from him (I can send an additional letter of recommendation, since I just got wait listed), or if I should just ask him to put in a "good word."  The problem is that one of the cardinal rules for law school admissions is that you don't get an LOR from a "big-wig" that you don't really know.  Of course, I could get to know him (when we meet).  What should I do?

krbr

• I've got 99 problems and law school is one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 12:47:50 PM »

Actually, at first, I was really nervous about approaching him.  I have known about this potential connection for months, but I was too apprehensive to do it.  And I am generally a very outgoing person!  I kept walking by him on campus and I knew that he was very outgoing as well, so I figured it wouldn't be that hard to approach him, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

Finally, yesterday, I walked by him again as he ate lunch, then I stood there for at least a minute (out of his view) contemplating whether or not to approach him or not - I really didn't feel comfortable doing it.  I realized that now, if ever, was the time to do it.  I did it, and it worked out really well - I have a meeting with him sometime next week.

It wasn't like it was this "sleazy" move - it wasn't even my idea actually.  A girl I know (who is applying to Harvard Law next year and whose fiance is an adjunct prof. there) suggested that I do it awhile ago.

Haha... sounds like the things that happen when you want to ask out a girl you really like.  ;)   I'm going through the same thing about approaching an alumni/adjunct prof from a school I've been waitlisted at whom I've worked with only a little bit.  Looks like it's time for me to man up and get my sleaze on.

P.S. It's not sleazy at all. It's called networking.